Register

User Tag List

Popular setups as possible Game Modes

In -Mafia- we have this "-repick" command, which ensures that the majority of players will always be happy about the setup.
    JUST TAKE A MOMENT AND THINK ABOUT WHAT A GODSEND THAT COMMAND IS!

Without it, we would have to follow this terrifying idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Host the game yourself and dial the cult slider all the way to 0. Hosts are free to host games however they like.
    The game would be dead if everyone tried hosting their own setups.
    Once again, let's just take a moment and think about what an MVP the "-repick" command truly is!

Setup selection is not always all sunshine and rainbows. I think more than half the players are AFK during that phase almost always?
    We sometimes have to wait for minutes before the AFK host gets -repicked, not to mention D1 some people be like: "wtf is this shit setup?".

I want to suggest adding the Top3 setups in the game mode selection. (lobby, not in-game)

Not very necessary. And those "Top3 Setups", even though they all look the same, each one is different in some way or another.

But I just wanted to bring this idea out there.
    Last edited by OzyWho; November 27th, 2019 at 02:17 AM.

Re: Popular setups as possible Game Modes

This is already planned to be included with the next update. Lawless and Chicago will be retired and will be replaced with setups reflecting the current meta setups.

I personally hope freeing up everybody's -save will result in a wider variety in setups being played since players no longer have to hold onto meta setups in case no one else has it.

Re: Popular setups as possible Game Modes

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    This is already planned to be included with the next update. Lawless and Chicago will be retired and will be replaced with setups reflecting the current meta setups.

I personally hope freeing up everybody's -save will result in a wider variety in setups being played since players no longer have to hold onto meta setups in case no one else has it.
    Thanks Rumox. Everything you've said is correct. I'll expand in detail on some things but I'd mainly like to outline that 2.0 will initially launch with:

Standard:
    A mode that seeks to bring the mod closer to a semblance of balance by disabling certain options and scaling down RNG a bit. Examples include removal of private messages. This will ideally become a litmus test to develop on and from a design/balance perspective, I feel its nessecary. There are simply too many variable options for commonly brought up issues such as Town Government, Cult, Spy etc.

I'd really like to make it competitive for those kinds of players out there. One idea on how to do this is by updating the banks to track wins and losses between two dates (say over a weekend) while giving additional points for playing. It'd record up to a reasonable maximum amount of games that a person could play over that timespan like 10 or 15. Then we could allow players to report thier wins on the forums for prizes etc. They would then reset until the next weekend.

Since I know it will come up, regulating such an environment from leavers and gamethrowers will be a challenge. But with community/staff support and stricter punishments in those situations, it can be done.

Next, the second mode Classic -- will be more in line with what you see currently played. All out role madness with no limitations. I'll try to find a generally well agreed upon middle ground for what people come to expect in a normal game. It's possible I make 8331/933 sub-versions of this as I dont think it'd be difficult to do.

And obviously, your save slots will be accessible. Eventually I'd like to add a second one to banks. @Kenny had an interesting idea to allow manipulation directly to the bank files save in-game to more easily copy and save backups of setups. It will likely not launch with 2.0 initially.

I'll be working on the map this Thanksgiving to patch up remaining bugs with UI related things and moving in that direction. Work/holidays/fire hazards have kept me quite busy the past month or so.

For those wondering, setup of the day will return in some fashion eventually. Community members will be free to submit named setups (I'll add a description feature to display as well) and they'll be voted on a short time after. There will be additional points awarded for playing these setups to encourage people to try new things.

Related: A pipe dream of mine was to have modes that featured imbalanced roles or options unavailable (completely to avoid them being in classic) just for fun and spice like Omni-Jester or Bonker. Just silly stuff, really. It involves a lot of backend work for me but it'd be nice to have a place to keep test/joke roles and let the community play with them when they're stable.

Hope that helped give a little outline on the direction I'd like to take and thanks for your post Ozy. I'm optimistic people will become more open to different saves as the meta changes a bit. Administration has been working closely with me and has final say on what is approved as always. c:

P.s. Cult is still up in the air internally. As of this post it will not be included in either shipped setups but will remain available for custom setups. I'll be watching how the cult suicide options works out when testing begins. Hopefully sooner than later.
    Last edited by Frinckles; November 27th, 2019 at 08:11 AM.