Why is October the tenth month
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2
    Ganelon

Re: Why is October the tenth month

originally there were only ten months in the roman calendar. and the beginning of the year was in March.
    December was the tenth month.
    according to Wikipedia, the days between December and March were actually not part of any month. so the year ended in December.
    At some point, they started adding an extra intercalary eleventh month for tax purposes in this period (I think this later became February). At some point, this month became a permanent feature of the calendar.
    sometime later they added "August" as well.
    voila. twelve months.

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    originally there were only ten months in the roman calendar. and the beginning of the year was in March.
    December was the tenth month.
    according to Wikipedia, the days between December and March were actually not part of any month. so the year ended in December.
    At some point, they started adding an extra intercalary eleventh month for tax purposes in this period (I think this later became February). At some point, this month became a permanent feature of the calendar.
    sometime later they added "August" as well.
    voila. twelve months.
    At which point did a year become exactly as long it takes for Earth to go around the sun?

4. ISO #4
    Ganelon

Wait I’m wrong, they added January and not August. August was simply renamed, it used to be called something else.

Also @OzyWho , apparently the Julian Calendar was the first that had a 365-days long year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ISO #5
    Ganelon

So in 45BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8