Register

User Tag List

Role Suggestion: Confidant

"You are a political consultant with a shady past."

A town power role, the Confidant can use "-visit #" during the day. At night, they and their target will be able to talk to each other as if it were daytime. However, the Confidant's name won't be revealed to their target. This is a role that can exchange vital information with others or perform their own investigation through nightly questionings.

If the target is a member of the Mafia / Triad / Cult, a Judge / Crier, or Jailor, the target will not know the Confidant is listening in on them until the Confidant makes themselves known, since they use the same chatboxes. So, by staying silent, the Confidant can even root out evils.

Possible crimes: Conspiracy

Re: Role Suggestion: Confidant

I love the role. An interesting addition of an Architect variant!

Given its ability to directly confirm itself without doubt, I think it's too powerful for a Town Power. I'd say Town Support / Town Government, personally.

But really, great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    His last words shall be remembered.

“There is nothing more spacious than the church of God, because all the elect and the just of all ages comprise it.” – Pope Clement XI

Amen

Ability to talk to someone privately is fine, but it should be announced to the player like jailor action. Mafia chat is already restricted because of spy adding another role which would 100% confirm an evil role by listening to their night chat silently is just too powerfull and overall bad for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RufusPL View Post
    Ability to talk to someone privately is fine, but it should be announced to the player like jailor action. Mafia chat is already restricted because of spy adding another role which would 100% confirm an evil role by listening to their night chat silently is just too powerfull and overall bad for the game.
    Oooooh, in that case, maybe the Confidant being hidden could be an option? If turned off, then the target would get the message "You feel eyes watching you." whenever the Confidant visits them.

Awesome flavor text. c:

Architect/Chef-esque roles are awesome and I'm definitely gonna add one down the line. For Confidant: The general idea of it isn't bad but I disagree with any role being able to join Mafia chat. It makes it impossible for them to coordinate with one another without taking significant risk. This is the same reason I'm evaluating whether to replace that passive ability from Spies, it's a massive compromise of their only means of real coordination and I see Mafia being able to play at a higher level if it weren't in the game. If I were to make a suggestion to your role, I'd say just make the Confidant's ability move them out of Mafia's night chat as if they were any other member of the town.

Roles that can pair people (or themselves) up with others in night chat are dope. There are two issues with them though, the first is that people generally play with PM's on: A role like this just doesn't make a significant impact because all that vital information is already relayed to one person (Town Gov) who figures it out for you. For what it's worth, I plan on disabling PM's in the main variant of 933 and creating/balancing around roles under that premise so it could certainly fit in there but context matters as to whether this role gains key pieces of information or just a weak Jailor chat.

That brings me to the second issue, incentive: A player with a gun to their head will say anything to try to live, this is evident when a Jailor kidnaps somebody. If you were taken to a night chat with this role, would you tell them your last will and why? If you were the Confidant who is no real threat to them, would you trust what your target is saying? Compound those questions with the idea of a Mafia analog of this role existing. My point is that it's difficult to say how much information you could reasonably gain from this sort of mechanic.

Balancing communication roles can be tricky because of how large or small of an impact they can make. In the case of roles that put one target with another (or themselves) into a night-chat, there are quite a few variations: Some of them will be anonymous, but will display the roles of each person. Some will only show anonymous names. Some will allow the Chef/Architect to attend the meeting with their two targets. A takeaway is that in almost every case, the targets are pulled from any regular night meeting they would have either. I wonder if the ability to 'jam' communications will be just as significant as creating communications between two people going forward.

Either way, I'll keep this suggestion in mind. The name/flavor alone of the role is dope!

I think if there would be no other evil counterpart so Town players could trust him and he could chat every night (Jailor for example is blocked by lynching) it would make this role strong enough even with PMs on. In the current meta ability to confirm role without a doubt is a huge advantage already. And the main difference from gov or using PMs is he can trade informations without bringing attention to himself, PMs bring enough attention to get you killed. And Town Gov if he reveals is either gonna die if there is no protectives left or he will atleast redirect those protectives from other vital Town roles to him making them vulnerable. Also I think that Town Govs should be atleast slightly stronger than other roles anyway.
    Last edited by RufusPL; July 31st, 2019 at 09:17 PM.