Strong Players
Register

User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Strong Players

  1. #1

  2. #2

    Re: Strong Players

    I think it really depends on the play style. Some players are extremely logical and find scums / completely mislead town by pure logic (or well executed fallacies if they're scum). Others prefer to be more emotional, "soulreading" people, that kind of things. I've seen both have moments of glory and of gamethrow.

    But there's something that comes back often : Activity. Although you don't need to be crazy active, if you are unable to read the thread, you can't do anything. No manipulation, no conclusion, no win. Pure lurking all game is not going to win anything, unless maybe you are scum in a specific situation, or have a very special role in a strange setup.

    There is also charisma. You can be great at finding scums, but if you can't get people to follow you, it's not very useful. As scum, charisma is even more important, as you need people to trust you. Finding ways for people to like and believe you is a big part of all forms of Mafia.

    Accuracy of reads. As town, for obvious reasons. As scum, for aiming at TPRs, and for detection of lynch targets. Who is objectively scummy is likely to get lynched, or at least easier to push at.

    Surviving. Self-preservation is almost always needed (obvious exception being a Jester-like role), outside of situations where you, as a citizen, need a specific TPR to live. If you don't survive, you can't have charisma, you can't share reads, and you can't be active. Surviving will almost always be very useful, because you are confirmed to be of your own alignment.


    People of SC2 Mafia, SPEAK!!! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    His last words shall be remembered.

    “There is nothing more spacious than the church of God, because all the elect and the just of all ages comprise it.” – Pope Clement XI

    Amen

  3. #3

    Re: Strong Players

    The defining aspect of a strong player is their Charisma.

    Activity, accuracy, logic, instinct, and self-preservation are all secondary to getting people not to lynch you.
    They don't even need to have good reads, as long as they bring people together to discuss.
    Someone could just read the thread and write a couple well put posts then gain charisma and lead town to victory.

  4. #4

    Re: Strong Players

    It’s iffy because if you’re too good at scumhunting when you’re town (which basically if you spend the time to hard push EVERY player 1by1 is really not that hard for anyone to achieve imo) then everyone will know when you’re scum since it’s way too hard to fake that amount of serious effort (See wiisp in this past game for example). I think the best player is one who can discreetly get others to reveal the information for him/figure out scums without significantly interacting with them.
    Last edited by aamirus; June 7th, 2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

  5. #5

    Re: Strong Players

    Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    The defining aspect of a strong player is their Charisma.

    Activity, accuracy, logic, instinct, and self-preservation are all secondary to getting people not to lynch you.
    They don't even need to have good reads, as long as they bring people together to discuss.
    Someone could just read the thread and write a couple well put posts then gain charisma and lead town to victory.
    That's incomplete (in my opinion). If you have good charisma, but aren't active, then nothing happens at all.
    If you have good charisma, but no accuracy, you'll simply lead people to their death, which is even worse than doing nothing.
    Same goes for logic.
    Charisma and self-preservation are corollary. If you don't have charisma, people are more likely to lynch you.

    Bringing people together to discuss is a thing that shouldn't need someone with charisma to achieve lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    His last words shall be remembered.

    “There is nothing more spacious than the church of God, because all the elect and the just of all ages comprise it.” – Pope Clement XI

    Amen

  6. #6

    Re: Strong Players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    It’s iffy because if you’re too good at scumhunting when you’re town (which basically if you spend the time to hard push EVERY player 1by1 is really not that hard for anyone to achieve imo) then everyone will know when you’re scum since it’s way too hard to fake that amount of serious effort (See wiisp in this past game for example). I think the best player is one who can discreetly get others to reveal the information for him/figure out scums without significantly interacting with them.
    I confirm the first part... not that I claim to be too good at scum hunting, but I used to be too much into that hard pushing as town, and my scum game was completely ruined because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    His last words shall be remembered.

    “There is nothing more spacious than the church of God, because all the elect and the just of all ages comprise it.” – Pope Clement XI

    Amen

  7. #7

    Re: Strong Players

    Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    The defining aspect of a strong player is their Charisma.

    Activity, accuracy, logic, instinct, and self-preservation are all secondary to getting people not to lynch you.
    They don't even need to have good reads, as long as they bring people together to discuss.
    Someone could just read the thread and write a couple well put posts then gain charisma and lead town to victory.
    @secondpassing I'd like to know, out of curiosity, if you have played on other sites. This might be a meta somewhere. I also think there's a nice Mafiascum article about the "three main things" in Mafia, which are townyness (that's not how it's worded), charisma, and accuracy. Will find it when I have time, but anyway, my question is : did you get this point of view from somewhere, or did you develop it yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    His last words shall be remembered.

    “There is nothing more spacious than the church of God, because all the elect and the just of all ages comprise it.” – Pope Clement XI

    Amen

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Re: Strong Players

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Time management is the most underrated skill imho. Even if you're not distracted by a job or kids you still have to consider time management carefully, and something I don't have a clue how to do tbh XD
    If there's more than a thousand posts in a single 48h day, it's impossible to totally keep track of who said what when and credible hypotheses for why they might have said that, at least for me, even with note-taking. Sacrifices have to be made about what information you hold onto and what information you throw out. But that's quite a non-trivial task imho.

  10. #10

    Re: Strong Players

    Charisma, Activity, Analysis, Meta Gaming, Codemaking, CodeBreaking, PoE, Debate.

    I’ve seen a lot of styles.

    The single most important skill every strong player has ever had to have is the ability to pay attention. That’s the foundation you build a skill set on. It’s a standing point that defines a players potential. You can be the smartest bastard, or the most popular shit in the world but without that focus it doesn’t count for squat.

    A strong player loses their strengths once they begin assuming they don’t need to pay attention to the game. I know y’all have seen it happen, someone who is good at the game plays absolutely horrid because they lost focus and didn’t pay attention to the proceedings of the game.

  11. #11

    Re: Strong Players

    They have to always be open to other possibilties and they have to be not stubborn about their reads. They should be able to read the players' text well and they have to have a decent charisma over the players that will make people listen to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Your signature shuld be "Too scummy to be scum!" :P
    Quote Originally Posted by PIayer View Post
    Hybrid... :weed: even his corpse is scummy

  12. #12

    Re: Strong Players

    Quote Originally Posted by Damus_Graves View Post
    Charisma, Activity, Analysis, Meta Gaming, Codemaking, CodeBreaking, PoE, Debate.

    I’ve seen a lot of styles.

    The single most important skill every strong player has ever had to have is the ability to pay attention. That’s the foundation you build a skill set on. It’s a standing point that defines a players potential. You can be the smartest bastard, or the most popular shit in the world but without that focus it doesn’t count for squat.

    A strong player loses their strengths once they begin assuming they don’t need to pay attention to the game. I know y’all have seen it happen, someone who is good at the game plays absolutely horrid because they lost focus and didn’t pay attention to the proceedings of the game.
    Hmm, that is true. It doesn't mean that if you pay attention, you are good; however, every good player does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    His last words shall be remembered.

    “There is nothing more spacious than the church of God, because all the elect and the just of all ages comprise it.” – Pope Clement XI

    Amen

  13. #13

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •