How to be a better FM player
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

How to be a better FM player

1. Host a game.
    2. Host a lot of games.
    3. Pay attention to how everyone plays, and the moves they make.
    4. Steal the best ideas.
    5. ????
    6. Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: How to be a better FM player

Don't suck
    Git gud
    Stomp scrubs
    Have a kewl sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

4. ISO #4

A very large part of this game lies within a players ability to communicate with his/her fellow players. I can absolutely assure that you that spamming a thread with 15+ posts an hour is a very quick way to drain energy out of a game. Our version of this game is designed to last a decent amount of time. There is no shame in taking your time in replying and reading another persons posts and properly structuring the reads/thoughts you have. If you want to convince another player to adopt your method of thinking/train of thought then you absolutely need to take the time and make whatever point you have easy to read and easy to understand.
    Utilize the BBC codes we have in this forum to your advantage. Don't be afraid to quote block paragraphs that follows one method of thinking so that they are distinguishable from another method.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    Lol i thought the "elite" players know how to make it past night 1? =P
    Yee he should spend d1 begging for dr like me

Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Crypt is best player imo, he gets confirmed as mafia by a sheriff and still manages to not get lynched.
    Oh shucks ♡ ur one of my fave players

16. ISO #16

Meh that doesn't count
    its why crypt avoids sfms. too likely to get shot. I guess he isn't elite

Crypt is best player imo, he gets confirmed as mafia by a sheriff and still manages to not get lynched.
    oh wait

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    its why crypt avoids sfms. too likely to get shot. I guess he isn't elite

oh wait
    EXCUSE ME 😭

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

Slaol>Cryptonic

😬
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

25. ISO #25

Quote Originally Posted by Yayap View Post
    yes - that is what I want you to think... I might live past night 1 if people think I'm bad player
    Can confirm, I shot him n1 because I thought he was a good player.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

26. ISO #26

Idk man he even outright claimed "yep im mafia sorry bros" ... He's a god amongst men
    I claim Myotismon.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Can confirm, I shot him n1 because I thought he was a good player.
    Ya but obv the town protective didnt have the same thought lol

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

Quote Originally Posted by Gerik View Post
    I suspected him of being scum. I think he'd agree it was a fair assessment at the time.
    Shhh no we are trying to create a new meta for Yayap to give him some extra doctor wifom n1

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

42. ISO #42

I would say the most basic thing to becoming a better player is learning to recognize your own bias and what scum hunting actually works for you.

A good example of what I see done wrong on this site is players play a game and then cherry pick their 'good hits' throughout the game using it to justify their view of their skill level. You can commonly see someone who at one point or another pushed on every player in the game say "See, I knew he was scum here!" as if that matters when its literally no better than statistically randomized fos..

Simple process:
    Post game read through the game and look at when you suspect a player. If your reasoning was right or wrong take note of it.
    You can also look at what other players read in you and if it was right or wrong to improve your ability to manipulate how you are read by others.

When you have a read on a player and present it to the town use this format:
    I believe (Player X) is (Alignment X) because of (Observed pattern X)
    (Observed pattern X) indicates they could be (Alignment X) because of [State fundimental diffrence between town and scum motivation/intention/action here]

Following that format will make you better at reading, avoiding bias, and communicating. Improving strategy takes time and experience..
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

43. ISO #43
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I would say the most basic thing to becoming a better player is learning to recognize your own bias and what scum hunting actually works for you.

A good example of what I see done wrong on this site is players play a game and then cherry pick their 'good hits' throughout the game using it to justify their view of their skill level. You can commonly see someone who at one point or another pushed on every player in the game say "See, I knew he was scum here!" as if that matters when its literally no better than statistically randomized fos..

Simple process:
    Post game read through the game and look at when you suspect a player. If your reasoning was right or wrong take note of it.
    You can also look at what other players read in you and if it was right or wrong to improve your ability to manipulate how you are read by others.

When you have a read on a player and present it to the town use this format:
    I believe (Player X) is (Alignment X) because of (Observed pattern X)
    (Observed pattern X) indicates they could be (Alignment X) because of [State fundimental diffrence between town and scum motivation/intention/action here]

Following that format will make you better at reading, avoiding bias, and communicating. Improving strategy takes time and experience..
    You make some excellent points.

There's something I'd like to add. I've noticed in a lot of games, that some people (including myself) take the wrong approach to the game when it comes to forming reads.

I think many people assume that the first feel you have for a certain player in a game must be 100% accurate, and that if you fail to read them correctly it must be because that player is simply better than you and you wouldn't be able to read them correctly either way (or maybe they're not necessarily good, you just suck). i think this approach isn't even necessarily wrong so much as it has nothing to do with how reading actually works:

I think that the right approach would be to stick with a read and see where it takes you. If you're wrong, you'll find out sooner or later - if you're careful. This doesn't mean you have to tunnel, however. Doing so would defeat the purpose of sticking with the read in the first place.

I feel like many people on this site (and on others, myself included), are afraid of being wrong, or being called out as scummy for changing their minds regarding a read (which is something that happens to even good players btw). And that's something that's gotta change if people are ever gonna act townie.

44. ISO #44

Think one important thing when reading a player is to first actually start with reading that player. Most people seem to me like they read themselves first, before looking at others, and then just compare their own read of themselves with what others say.
    Problem is, that way one is gonna have a hard time processing what the player one wants to read is saying about others, and on top of that one is quite literally gonna be biased in one's read from having it base on one's own read of oneself. And nothing is easier to manipulate than a biased read, really. There's also absolutely no credibility or even anything to gain when one starts a conzersation with a read on themselves and then criticizes another's read on themselves, as one would always have the interest of making others have them read as town.
    That read one has on themselves ends up acting as a roadblock the more it becomes prevalent in a conversation, as others are from the start aware of basic interests everyone has. Noticing differences in how a player tries to 'sell' themselves and how one thinks that other player should actually be thinking from that other player's perspective is a core element of any good reading skill.
    As a result, in my opinion, the only time when one should read themselves is, at the earliest, after exchanging reads, as a means of checking whether what they say applies or does not. There are tons of advantages from following that simple rule, it even reduces the amount of information that one unconsciously always leaks out about themselves.