Meta1 is the term we use for knowledge of how a player will act according to their past experiences in the game. That is the overall most widely accepted definition of the word. It's use in games is absolutely flimsy and we need to improve the way we incorporate it into our styles. As an example; many of you have called out that I have a tendency to buddy one town player as scum, scum paint one townie and lynch him/her and ride the middle ground to victory. You would argue that
Damus is my top scum read because of his attempts at buddying Slaol {insert quotes here as references/examples}, his discrediting of Mike {More quotes that support your statement} and the fact that he hasn't taken a solid stance against any one player within these last few days. These tactics have more beneficial consequences for a scum Damus than a town Damus because it allows him to support any lynch without putting himself in the limelight for the flip and considering that it is day two/three/four the only reason a town Damus would buddy Slaol is through a sheriff check where he discovered slaol was 100% town. This is clearly not the case because Damus has not claimed Sheriff/Damus has spread suspicion on most other players but Slaol. This falls in line with Damus' previous games such as Turnabout and LBP where he utilized the same tactics.
Once a player is aware of his or her own meta it is significantly harder to read them from a solely meta standpoint. It becomes more beneficial to read that players actions than any behavioral tells. See the above example. I would gladly follow the above statement as a pressure/lynch train, especially when compared to the commonly used
Marshall will always town read me when he is town.

I can always tell if Mike is scum or not and this game he is not playing his scummeta.

Damus is scum because Damus reasons