Register

User Tag List

Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,800 of 3803
  1. ISO #3751
    Ganelon

Re: S-FM Turnabout Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
    @Magoroth logical is not a type of reading style separate from things. logic applies to every situation. Meta reads is the persons style, unique to that individual. The other form of reading would be to just base what you see from the current game only, not taking into account past games. that means with every person u are just starting from scratch every time. that stops you from really developing in the game. meta is how you grow in mafia.

if you learn typical scum patterns from how scum act from playing 500 games, thats meta style reading. You are putting together patterns based off of past games to improve your current game.

You do the same thing with individual players for reading them. You take their playstyle, and compare the motive to how they usually play. if ur not using meta, why not lynch someone who is scumreading someone for coloring a text? that would come off horribly opportunistic to me if i didnt know kiras meta.
    there's obviously more at work here than simply meta. I didn't say all actions had in-game reason. lynching someone for non-in-game reasons is poor play, but not scum-motivated.

2. ISO #3752
    Ganelon

like how I pointed out that Frog's play wasn't scum-motivated; it was highly trolly; nay, it was so trolly that it was pretty evident his main purpose was in "acting like the god of fm" (or so it seemed to me).

3. ISO #3753

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    like how I pointed out that Frog's play wasn't scum-motivated; it was highly trolly; nay, it was so trolly that it was pretty evident his main purpose was in "acting like the god of fm" (or so it seemed to me).
    The purpose of his play that I got from it (because ive played with multiple people with that same style, wofly being 1 of them), was that he was trying to get info. he subbed into the game late, had 0 info. so he jumped in to stir shit up and start getting reads. yeah, he went completely overboard, but meta is the reason i townread him for it. I do not believe he joined to intentionally fuck the game up. so that rules out that. He is also well respected on MU community, and a very good player there, so i know hes not dumb. It sounds like u havnt encountered that style yet, so you dont have a meta based read on what to think of it yet.

his main purpose wasnt to be a god. his main purpose was to find scum and get information. he just happened to ACT egotistical in the process. thats why meta reads is valueble. u have more than just "their current mood" as a read.
    Last edited by Distorted; November 27th, 2018 at 02:53 PM.

Go here → → https://discord.gg/rYRT5Tz Type s.cat, enjoy.

4. ISO #3754

I agree. But it was a terrible play to make in the first place. Which is where I don’t really have sympathy for him. Information Overload and General Belligerance does not a fm god make

5. ISO #3755

The purpose of his play that I got from it (because ive played with multiple people with that same style, wofly being 1 of them), was that he was trying to get info. he subbed into the game late, had 0 info. so he jumped in to stir shit up and start getting reads. yeah, he went completely overboard, but meta is the reason i townread him for it. I do not believe he joined to intentionally fuck the game up. so that rules out that. He is also well respected on MU community, and a very good player there, so i know hes not dumb. It sounds like u havnt encountered that style yet, so you dont have a meta based read on what to think of it yet.

his main purpose wasnt to be a god. his main purpose was to find scum and get information. he just happened to ACT egotistical in the process. thats why meta reads is valueble. u have more than just "their current mood" as a read.
    200% more effective play without the postfarming.

6. ISO #3756

Quote Originally Posted by Damus_Graves View Post
    200% more effective play without the postfarming.
    yup. i didnt say his play was pro town lol he went overboard =P but if he toned it down a bit, stirring things up is great. gets people to reevaluate their reads. i was honestly nervous as hell when he came in. started trying to watch what i would say ect ect, that left me open to slips.

7. ISO #3757

yup. i didnt say his play was pro town lol he went overboard =P but if he toned it down a bit, stirring things up is great. gets people to reevaluate their reads. i was honestly nervous as hell when he came in. started trying to watch what i would say ect ect, that left me open to slips.
    Literally. Distorted are you a logical player?

8. ISO #3758

why do you think in sports they study eachothers playstyles? boxers study the person they are going to fight to learn their style. football teams study each others plays. poker players study each other hoping to find bluff-tells. Every single competitive game/sport does it. even E sports, in sc2 they watch each others replys before competitions to learn their styles. Those are the STRONGEST pieces of information that they can get on their opponent. Mafia is no different from that.

I think this ↑ pretty much sums up the credibility behind meta reading. Because even in these sports they know they are being studied, they know the people are going to try to change up styles due to that, but yet they still spend countless hours trying to find those patterns. They want to be able to recognize the subtle things that slip out or that the person doesnt change.
    sc2 for example, certain micro tactics during game-ending battles. Football games, certain coaches like to do risky game-ending plays when not necessary. In Mafia, they are under pressure and start becoming defensive, or offensive. sure maybe they can change it once, but mix that with how they pressure people, how relaxed they seem, how active they are, how much they put themself in the spotlight, how committed they tunnel people, how much they vote, do they bus their own teammates? I mean the list goes on and on. changing ALL of that is not an easy thing to do lol they will slip

Then, after playing with countless people, u start to learn what the most common slips are. what the least common are. town slips, scum slips. and u almost form a subconcous "odds" calculator in ur mind when u see those, and we refer to those as "gut reads", which are meta based as well just we dont know what exact situation they come from.

ok think that about ends my rant on meta. been wanting to comment something about meta for awhile lol think ive had this built up for a bit

9. ISO #3759

10. ISO #3760

11. ISO #3761

12. ISO #3762
    Ganelon

I agree. But it was a terrible play to make in the first place. Which is where I don’t really have sympathy for him. Information Overload and General Belligerance does not a fm god make
    German syntax. are you a foreigner?? maybe the bomber?

13. ISO #3763
    Ganelon

the points are you raise are sound, but it doesn't change the fact that meta reads are, very often, wrong.

how often have you been right about someone's meta?

14. ISO #3764

anyway: things as I see them. @Mike you're a good neutral. if that's the kind of play style you want to pull off, remember that whenever you're town, it'll become obvious as hell cuz you won't be flip-flopping and spamming then lol. so you got two options: either you improve your scum game, or you worsen your town game. I'd go with the former. Your reads are good, and your reasoning skills are very good, you just need to work on a few things:
    a) post count
    b) "stream of consciousness"; your reads violently wobble from one person to another. you need to either plan your game thoroughly beforehand, and you should primarily be interested in telling the truth, even as scum, because that makes people townread you hard. this isn't to say you should throw or anything like that, just that you should act more like a townie should, push lynches, and try to use the information you have as an advantage (i.e., the info that you're scum), without having it show.
    c) tunneling. try to listen more to people.
    @Distorted nicely played. nothing much else I can say here, except maybe you shouldn't have inno'd Damus. other than that, very good play there.
    @Marshmallow Marshall
    a) Stop caring so much about how people see you (scum/town). it's important, but not to the extent where you should be posting solely so that you don't get scumread. just act naturally.
    b) Please use fewer meta-reads. I know you love them, but I seriously don't think they're viable, especially not for very good players. they're also dependent on knowing a fuckton of things, such as the. relationship between two players, a player's personality, attitude, and personal/social situation, as well as posting style, affective background, etc etc. it's a lot, too much, I'd say, to account for.
    @Gyrlander
    a)We both need to stop being so passive. I'm not always passive, but I was this game.
    b)When people call you out for being passive, it doesn't necessarily make them scum. it just makes them displeased at your play style.
    @Numbertwo
    a) Nice play and good strategy. Perfect sense, pretty much forced us into voting Voss at the end game. well-played.
    You do realize I ment all those bad things to happen. Notice my change from d1 to d2. When slalom posted about me bing a newb and not a good player. I latched on to that hard and played that role. Mike is to stupid to be scum. It gave me the perfect cover. And as I said before I am not going to play the same every game. This way no true meta can be used on me.
    Do Not open this spoiler under any condition!!!!!!!
    Spoiler : :
    WHY CANT YOU FOLLOW SIMPLE DIRECTIONS?
    YOU HAVE JUST CAUSED THE END OF ALL MANKIND!!!!!!

<a href=https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic27614_1.gif target=_blank>https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signat...pic27614_1.gif</a>

15. ISO #3765

Well its about pathos ethos logos and using inductive/deductive reasonings to scumhunt/townhunt
    lol saying its about "pathos ethos and logos" is like sayings its about emotion, logic, and spirituality. what else is there? literally. thats why those terms are taught in writing 101 =P they are teaching basics in those classes.

but, meta speaks ;) welcome back lol

16. ISO #3766

the points are you raise are sound, but it doesn't change the fact that meta reads are, very often, wrong.

how often have you been right about someone's meta?
    There was a 10 game streak where I successfully found a certain player scum or not based on meta using only their very first post.

17. ISO #3767

lol saying its about "pathos ethos and logos" is like sayings its about emotion, logic, and spirituality. what else is there? literally. thats why those terms are taught in writing 101 =P they are teaching basics in those classes.

but, meta speaks ;) welcome back lol

18. ISO #3768

There was a 10 game streak where I successfully found a certain player scum or not based on meta using only their very first post.
    yup, sounds like what happens to PTB when he is scum blink found him off his 3rdish post, aamirus found him within a page or 2, i got him on his first post last game we played =P

19. ISO #3769

yup, sounds like what happens to PTB when he is scum blink found him off his 3rdish post, aamirus found him within a page or 2, i got him on his first post last game we played =P
    My opinion is that meta has a place but it shouldnt be the go to reason for FOS. I used to think that meta reliance degrades the overall skill level of a playerbase

20. ISO #3770

no, the strongest reads are logical reads. they correlate 100% with alignment, always. if a player acts in the town's interests they are town. otherwise. they are not. @Distorted , you for instance did not act towny. you didn't scum hunt, and just pushed a bit at players. but. you. never actually offered anything of value. of course, that. doesn't. make you scum, but it definitely doesn't make you town either. I'll admit that logical reads in and of themselves are insufficient to construct perfect reads, instead composite reads are required. it's probably (nay, certain!) that if you combine several reading styles into your analysis, your reads will correlate somewhere close to 90-100% with alignment. I can't even quite explain what I'm talking about here very clearly, because it's so highly abstract...
    LOL, you town read him all game...logical reads are also the easiest to fake, and i disagree 100% with you that they correlate 100% with alignment lol

21. ISO #3771
    Ganelon

that's amazing! I avoid meta reads as often as I can because mine are usually wrong. my "logical" reads as I like to call them are, however, very often accurate. they certainly incorporate a bit of meta, but as I'm posting this I realize that maybe I don't necessarily have a problem with meta per-se, just with unexplainable/unexplained reads like "this player is scum because he's afk and he's not usually afk as town " fuck that kind of shit. when you instead have something like "this player did something uncharacteristic of him, and his representation of the game has him aim towards those things. and such others as town, and this is how he achieves them", I can respect that.

but gut reads are not always good. It's literally possible to construct a perfectly identical scum-meta as town, and vice-versa. it's not, however, possible, EVER, to be perfectly towny as scum. because it means you are gamethrowing if that's the case.

22. ISO #3772

23. ISO #3773

Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    LOL, you town read him all game...logical reads are also the easiest to fake, and i disagree 100% with you that they correlate 100% with alignment lol
    Logical fallacy mate. When you fake an inductive read you need to be fairly gifted in speech to make it work

24. ISO #3774
    Ganelon

I townread him for meta =P you'll notice that at the end of the game, I actually mentioned there was a slight possibility he was scum, because he inno'd Damus. anyway, I have an axe to grind against meta reads, because I find them utterly despicable.sure, they should be part of your analysis, but not the only part.

25. ISO #3775

Frog should have been lock town after his performance.

26. ISO #3776

27. ISO #3777

anyway: things as I see them. @Mike you're a good neutral. if that's the kind of play style you want to pull off, remember that whenever you're town, it'll become obvious as hell cuz you won't be flip-flopping and spamming then lol. so you got two options: either you improve your scum game, or you worsen your town game. I'd go with the former. Your reads are good, and your reasoning skills are very good, you just need to work on a few things:
    a) post count
    b) "stream of consciousness"; your reads violently wobble from one person to another. you need to either plan your game thoroughly beforehand, and you should primarily be interested in telling the truth, even as scum, because that makes people townread you hard. this isn't to say you should throw or anything like that, just that you should act more like a townie should, push lynches, and try to use the information you have as an advantage (i.e., the info that you're scum), without having it show.
    c) tunneling. try to listen more to people.
    @Distorted nicely played. nothing much else I can say here, except maybe you shouldn't have inno'd Damus. other than that, very good play there.
    @Marshmallow Marshall
    a) Stop caring so much about how people see you (scum/town). it's important, but not to the extent where you should be posting solely so that you don't get scumread. just act naturally.
    b) Please use fewer meta-reads. I know you love them, but I seriously don't think they're viable, especially not for very good players. they're also dependent on knowing a fuckton of things, such as the. relationship between two players, a player's personality, attitude, and personal/social situation, as well as posting style, affective background, etc etc. it's a lot, too much, I'd say, to account for.
    @Gyrlander
    a)We both need to stop being so passive. I'm not always passive, but I was this game.
    b)When people call you out for being passive, it doesn't necessarily make them scum. it just makes them displeased at your play style.
    @Numbertwo
    a) Nice play and good strategy. Perfect sense, pretty much forced us into voting Voss at the end game. well-played.
    I agree with the passive thing. However, I do not agree with the second one. MM, for example, was very rude to me and I still told him I knew he was Town.

Thank you Anonymous Donor

28. ISO #3778

29. ISO #3779

I townread him for meta =P you'll notice that at the end of the game, I actually mentioned there was a slight possibility he was scum, because he inno'd Damus. anyway, I have an axe to grind against meta reads, because I find them utterly despicable.sure, they should be part of your analysis, but not the only part.
    But he wasn't playing his town meta at all I even called it out day one he was literally playing his scum meta LOL

30. ISO #3780

31. ISO #3781
    Ganelon

it's impossible to be perfectly towny as scum because it would violate the laws of thermodynamics. you can't have a perfect process that doesn't heat up. the "heating up" in this context is your increasingly elaborate fakeness. it's bound to show at one point.

32. ISO #3782

33. ISO #3783

it's impossible to be perfectly towny as scum because it would violate the laws of thermodynamics. you can't have a perfect process that doesn't heat up. the "heating up" in this context is your increasingly elaborate fakeness. it's bound to show at one point.
    Lynch your teammates. refuse to kill anyone. never blackmail the hooker.

34. ISO #3784

....deosnt this support meta? lol if u know their real style then it would be that much easier to recognize their fake style xD

35. ISO #3785

this isn't a science project it's a social experiment... and I completely disagree with you. I just don't agree with this logic

36. ISO #3786
    Ganelon

But he wasn't playing his town meta at all I even called it out day one he was literally playing his scum meta LOL
    look, blink, I did not insult you nor your reads. if you're going to be a bitch, go somewhere else

37. ISO #3787

Wow, I was reading the scum chat. From the start I was Mafia number 1 victom lol. Then Distorted wasn't to fake a LW a fake scum chat Put Mine and Voss name and Fram us. LOL That would have been interesting.

<a href=https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic27614_1.gif target=_blank>https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signat...pic27614_1.gif</a>

38. ISO #3788
    Ganelon

if you want a strong advocate against meta reads, go for PTB =P guy is scummy as both town and mafia

39. ISO #3789

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Wow, I was reading the scum chat. From the start I was Mafia number 1 victom lol. Then Distorted wasn't to fake a LW a fake scum chat Put Mine and Voss name and Fram us. LOL That would have been interesting.
    haha yeah. i was kinda sad we didnt get to do that =(

40. ISO #3790

41. ISO #3791
    Ganelon

....deosnt this support meta? lol if u know their real style then it would be that much easier to recognize their fake style xD
    no, it doesn't. it's exactly what I'm saying. you cannot be 100% pro-town as scum. and that's going to show in more than just meta.

42. ISO #3792

43. ISO #3793

@Everyone don't forget to look at distorted

title under name privilage for the next game
    theres a heading under the name

Look there.

44. ISO #3794

GG everyone btw. @blinkskater I understand that you were pulling a play on D1... but it doesn't make what you did righteous you still played very well, though.

This was a lot of fun.

Also, about Frog: I get that his playstyle could be annoying at times, but it's NOT A REASON to trash talk, from both sides. He didn't troll; he was trying to gather info.

Distorted is right about meta, btw. I don't say put meta everywhere; but did you notice how everyone who ignores meta is absolutely unable to read Light_Yagami? I have a 100% success rate on reading him. I'm not saying I'm the God of FM (Actually very far from it, as you could see this game lol), but I'm saying meta IS important.

To come back to Frog. He has trash talked a bit; yet several people have hit on him much more than they should have. It ended up being sad for everyone, he was modkilled because he replaced out without any replacements around. So, what is there to learn from that? Don't be harsh. If someone is being harsh to you, don't fuel the fire. This shouldn't even be seen as alignment indicative, simply as being a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

45. ISO #3795

no, it doesn't. it's exactly what I'm saying. you cannot be 100% pro-town as scum. and that's going to show in more than just meta.
    no itl show in other ways to. or else games wouldent be solvable without meta. but meta is the strongest form of reads. there is others as well, but once u develop meta on people and on game patterns, those become the heaviest players in your reads.

How do you even know something is scummy? because you saw a scum do it before so u will be skeptical next time you see it. Game experience is meta as well.

46. ISO #3796

no itl show in other ways to. or else games wouldent be solvable without meta. but meta is the strongest form of reads. there is others as well, but once u develop meta on people and on game patterns, those become the heaviest players in your reads.

How do you even know something is scummy? because you saw a scum do it before so u will be skeptical next time you see it. Game experience is meta as well.
    Well. Suggesting that people don’t talk is scummy

47. ISO #3797

Well. Suggesting that people don’t talk is scummy
    depends. if we have 3 people not reading a game, and 2 more skimming it and they have to make a decision to lynch someone. having a chat with over 2k+ posts filled with conversations of crepes and international traveling throughout it, telling people to stick to talking about relevant stuff only i see as pro town. it removes spam and declutters so people can better read the game content.
    Last edited by Distorted; November 27th, 2018 at 05:00 PM.

48. ISO #3798

depends. if we have 3 people not reading a game, and 2 more skimming it and they have to make a decision to lynch someone. having a chat with over 2k+ posts filled with conversations of crepes and international traveling throughout it, telling people to stick to talking about relevant stuff only i see as pro town. it removes spam and declutters so people can better read the game content.
    how having a chat filled with non-game related spam is pro town is beyond me. even if it was all game content, how is having 2k+ posts that nobody will read and catch up on pro town? would rather compact the amount of posts so everyone could read. rather than having 1 or 2 ppl read and paraphrase it for the rest.
    Last edited by Distorted; November 27th, 2018 at 05:26 PM.

49. ISO #3799

how having a chat filled with non-game related spam is pro town is beyond me. even if it was all game content, how is having 2k+ posts that nobody will read and catch up on pro town? would rather compact the amount of posts so everyone could read. rather than having 1 or 2 ppl read and paraphrase it for the rest.
    ideally, yes it would be better to read it all. but we gotta be realistic with it as well. nobody would have read that all. what looks best on paper doesnt always work best in practice.
    Last edited by Distorted; November 27th, 2018 at 05:26 PM.

50. ISO #3800