_question
Register

User Tag List

Thread: _question

1. ISO #1

_question

Hi my name is Smitty and i've been learning Mafia for the past couple of months!

I've been reading up on WIFOM (Wine in Front of Me) and i understand the principle of anticipating what actions your enemies will make and to preemptively try to anticipate those actions...but what if you were to make a terrible decision that ends up really hurting the town? I know I've failed as a Vet before because i didnt fully grasp what I was doing and used all my alerts before things got spicy after n4...but I don't see many people using WIFOM as an excuse, like if a jailor fails and kills off town, or if a doctor visits a vet... so is it just a mindset to think about when playing the game? Not sure, if its just something to be aware of or if its an actual tactic.

Also i've been seeing people killing off town power//government early in the game because you are executioner...they spam for example: "2 is mafia im sheriff" but 2 is not really mafia...and then 2 gets lynched because everyone believes the troll...then when the town realizes what they have done, they lynch the executioner (who still wins) cuz he got his target...

is that the point or is that just trolling? not sure how to play that role, ive never gotten it. just seems like you're being an inverse jester kinda

thx first post yay
    -Smitty

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3
    Ganelon

Re: _question

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Hi my name is Smitty and i've been learning Mafia for the past couple of months!

I've been reading up on WIFOM (Wine in Front of Me) and i understand the principle of anticipating what actions your enemies will make and to preemptively try to anticipate those actions...but what if you were to make a terrible decision that ends up really hurting the town? I know I've failed as a Vet before because i didnt fully grasp what I was doing and used all my alerts before things got spicy after n4...but I don't see many people using WIFOM as an excuse, like if a jailor fails and kills off town, or if a doctor visits a vet... so is it just a mindset to think about when playing the game? Not sure, if its just something to be aware of or if its an actual tactic.

Also i've been seeing people killing off town power//government early in the game because you are executioner...they spam for example: "2 is mafia im sheriff" but 2 is not really mafia...and then 2 gets lynched because everyone believes the troll...then when the town realizes what they have done, they lynch the executioner (who still wins) cuz he got his target...

is that the point or is that just trolling? not sure how to play that role, ive never gotten it. just seems like you're being an inverse jester kinda

thx first post yay
    -Smitty
    As town, you want to use beneficial WIFOM (for instance, to protect the identities of the Protective Roles/Killing roles), like by PM'ing people you think are neutral evil A LOT (if you're town government.)

That being said, WIFOM is actually a thing yes. WIFOM is basically mind-games. Outsmart your opponent. The more experienced/intelligent a player is, the more likely he is to utilise bizarre tactics designed to further his goals (whatever they may be). Which is when Town roles start actually lying xD

Evil roles will try to seem pro-town (also WIFOM). But there's really levels of WIFOM, like... say you have a guy that was SEEN to have visited the Godfather N1 and he then tries to push a Lynch on the Godfather (claiming Detective? or something). Let's say he gets the Lynch right, AND it is known that he isn't a neutral killer role. That guy is still not 100% confirmed town, EVEN if he manages to Lynch the entire mafia. The important thing is to realise that when you need to create a highly complex scenario for a certain thing to be true, it becomes less and likely for it to be so as complexity increases. BUT not impossible. Just less and less likely. Never reaches zero unless someone reveals as Mayor/Marshal and there is no disguiser/cult in the game.

This does sound like Forum Mafia is the thing for you tho! a lot of the SC2Maf players are really dependent on role abilities and as such... WIFOM will be mostly restricted to evil roles claiming their town analogues (e.g. Agent claiming Detective) and executioner claiming Sheriff/Detective/Investigator.

4. ISO #4
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

thx first post yay
    -Smitty
    Also for the executioner part, what I like to do is try to push a Lynch on d2 on someone I believe is evil (based off of voting patterns, gut feeling, etc). If that works, you are much more likely to be able to Lynch your target come d3.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

We punish intent.
    If you intend to ruin the game, gamethrow and grief, you get punished.
    If you make a mistake which results in the town losing, we dont punish.

Have you seen the video of the Origins of WIFOM?

Last edited by SuperJack; August 3rd, 2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    We punish intent.
    If you intend to ruin the game, gamethrow and grief, you get punished.
    If you make a mistake which results in the town losing, we dont punish.

Have you seen the video of the Origins of WIFOM?

classic
    I love oops

Spoiler : :

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

8. ISO #8

Magoroth has covered it nicely ^^

Trolling =/= WIFOM. https://epicmafia.wikia.com/wiki/Wine..._Of_Me_(WIFOM) definition of WIFOM.

A situation where WIFOM will apply is, for instance, 1 Bus Driver, 1 Sheriff, 1 X mafia role who turned to Mafioso. The Bus Driver can make the mafioso hit himself (run over a bus). The Mafioso knowing that, he must pick who he will attack tonight. Will the Bus Driver play more protective and bus himself with the Mafioso? Or will he help his ally? Or will he think that the Mafioso will think that he will do one of those two, therefore doing the other one? Or will he think the mafioso will think that he will think.... you get it.

I also agree with Magoroth on the Forum Mafia (FM) part. This kind of stuff is much more used in FM games than on the SC2 arcade map. People actually know and make use of WIFOM, and trolling is reduced greatly (usually, games are 100% griefing-free). If you would like to check this out, https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showth...bruary-Signups is the link to the signups page.
    Last edited by Marshmallow Marshall; August 3rd, 2018 at 01:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

9. ISO #9