Forum Mafia Discussion Thread - Strategies, Fun Games, Scumslips, Townslips, Role Brainstorming!
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1
    Ganelon

Forum Mafia Discussion Thread - Strategies, Fun Games, Scumslips, Townslips, Role Brainstorming!

How do you play this game? What do you look for in a post when you're trying to ascertain whether X/Y is scum?

Needless to say, those involved in ongoing games shouldn't reply to this thread.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4
    Ganelon

Re: Forum Mafia Discussion Thread - Strategies, Fun Games, Scumslips, Townslips, Role Brainstorming!

Going to post my thoughts on how the game should be played here.

I’m going to start by noting that the current site meta seems to involve a psychological perspective. That is, people will look for psychological clues to determine roles/alignment/intentions. I’ve seen this happen in so many games (and I am guilty of doing this myself) and I’ve reached the conclusion that such reads are inaccurate. Because the way a certain player acts in-game is not necessarily game-related.

I’m going to use myself as an example.

When I’m on my phone I tend to post fewer posts and to respond mostly to posts that directly concern me one way or another. One other example: I am busy so I completely miss out on a day. -or- say someone has had a rough day or a very stressful one. It’ll show in-game. People are not 100% consistent across time. Younger people go to Uni, fall in love for the first time etc etc. My point is, it’s dangerous to read people off of stuff like this bc you can’t know whether it is game-related or not. Even if it turns out your conclusion about their role/alignment was correct, you still can’t be sure that your arguments were. Bc people WILL lie about their personal situation just so they can say you’te Wrong. And even if they tell you the truth, it might be that they would’ve acted the same way as the opposite alignment, too.

I have a huge problem with this play style bc I used to that myself and it didn’t result in shit. Mafia shouldn’t be about that.

Instead, read people based on what they are trying to accomplish. What do they think about the setup, about the game, the general situation, lynches, roles, players? And why do they think that and what are they doing to further their own agenda, be it Town, Mafia or something else.

Practice your reading skills on games from 2016 or even early 2017. I recommend games where MattZed, Firebringer, Calix, Darkness and ptb played. They tend to be pretty logically consistent, so reading them is more fun and easier (at least in theory). Btw, pro-tip, don’t read more than is necessary into D1 shitposts.
    Last edited by ; September 8th, 2018 at 04:34 AM.

5. ISO #5

Re: Forum Mafia Discussion Thread - Strategies, Fun Games, Scumslips, Townslips, Role Brainstorming!

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    Going to post my thoughts on how the game should be played here.

I’m going to start by noting that the current site meta seems to involve a psychological perspective. That is, people will look for psychological clues to determine roles/alignment/intentions. I’ve seen this happen in so many games (and I am guilty of doing this myself) and I’ve reached the conclusion that such reads are inaccurate. Because the way a certain player acts in-game is not necessarily game-related.

I’m going to use myself as an example.

When I’m on my phone I tend to post fewer posts and to respond mostly to posts that directly concern me one way or another. One other example: I am busy so I completely miss out on a day. -or- say someone has had a rough day or a very stressful one. It’ll show in-game. People are not 100% consistent across time. Younger people go to Uni, fall in love for the first time etc etc. My point is, it’s dangerous to read people off of stuff like this bc you can’t know whether it is game-related or not. Even if it turns out your conclusion about their role/alignment was correct, you still can’t be sure that your arguments were. Bc people WILL lie about their personal situation just so they can say you’te Wrong. And even if they tell you the truth, it might be that they would’ve acted the same way as the opposite alignment, too.

I have a huge problem with this play style bc I used to that myself and it didn’t result in shit. Mafia shouldn’t be about that.

Instead, read people based on what they are trying to accomplish. What do they think about the setup, about the game, the general situation, lynches, roles, players? And why do they think that and what are they doing to further their own agenda, be it Town, Mafia or something else.

Practice your reading skills on games from 2016 or even early 2017. I recommend games where MattZed, Firebringer, Calix, Darkness and ptb played. They tend to be pretty logically consistent, so reading them is more fun and easier (at least in theory). Btw, pro-tip, don’t read more than is necessary into D1 shitposts.
    I disagree with you. I mean what you say about RL shit is true, but in my mind being able to SUCCESSFULLY read people “psychologically” is kind of the essence of great mafia play. Sure you can be wrong but I don’t think RL shit generally has anything to do with that. I would say it’s more like you either read them right or not. I think only playing off of roleclaims and “actions” amounts to just a slower version of Mod Mafia, which is not what I show up here for
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

I agree with Magoroth on SOME points. Like activity (the amount of time dedicated to the game). However, I am part of the people thinking that meta reads are good, as long as a read is not 100% based on meta. If it is.... well, you can still go on it, but label it "meta-only" and be very careful with it.

If you want to practice reading people without any meta (which includes site meta), actually, you should read other sites that are similar to ours. But I think that it is best to read the site's meta and see how it evolved ^^ because it definetly is not the same than now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    Recognizing logical fallacies in posts and chipping at them. The real art is differentiating the retarded townie from the mafia player.
    Exactly. It is the purest form of read. It will work in a game with legit people, and make the game very fun. Sadly, we don't always have legit people to play with...
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

9. ISO #9

Just be active, best way to win.
    I wouldnt recommend telling people what you look for lol

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

10. ISO #10
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    I disagree with you. I mean what you say about RL shit is true, but in my mind being able to SUCCESSFULLY read people “psychologically” is kind of the essence of great mafia play. Sure you can be wrong but I don’t think RL shit generally has anything to do with that. I would say it’s more like you either read them right or not. I think only playing off of roleclaims and “actions” amounts to just a slower version of Mod Mafia, which is not what I show up here for
    I'm not talking 'role/lw' here. This is a much deeper issue than that.

I'm talking about reading people for their in-game actions (that doesn't necessarily mean night actions; it means who they want to Lynch, what they are doing to Lynch people, how they are conducting themselves (i.e. do they want to Lynch inactives/go for policy lynches, for example? it's important!). If you want an example of that, the latest game I played (the Sc2Mafia one), I was pretty clearly Scvmurderer, Dunna or Efekannn if you think about it. And Kenny was pretty likely to be Hybrid or MafiaZ. These things vary from setup to setup but they always exist (it's the reason I tend to skim over shitposts; it's very difficult if not impossible to read shitposts).

Most posts a player makes are NAI. But some are more likely to reveal their intentions. And potentially alignment. Basically you need to read their posts and ask yourself 'What is the town motivation for this post? And the scum one?' If you find that one post can be easily made from either perspective, or if it's a shitpost, then it is NAI. But if you find a post that helps, for example, town more than scum (or at least is intended to do from that player's perspective), then it's a pretty damn strong indication that that player is town (at that moment, or at least playing from a townish perspective (i.e. could be a lonely neutral)). I know these kind of reads are much more accurate bc I've tested them in the 2016-17 games I've told you about. And (I'll admit my reading skills are far from the best) I've been right about my reads much more often and (80-90% of the time, esp. when I'm not in game kek), ever since I've started down this path.
    Last edited by ; September 8th, 2018 at 01:55 PM.

11. ISO #11
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    Just be active, best way to win.
    I wouldnt recommend telling people what you look for lol
    Yeah which is why I'm not saying everything

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by PowersThatBe View Post
    Find a friend and tell them your role. Have them tell you their role. Then work together to win a bunch of games, maybe even the ladder.
    Who needs friends? Just get a slave. More efficient.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Find a friend and tell them your role. Have them tell you their role. Then work together to win a bunch of games, maybe even the ladder.

@Cryptonic is it why you don't play anymore? You don't want to say what you're looking for?

hes so good that he plays beyond the game

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post

@Cryptonic is it why you don't play anymore? You don't want to say what you're looking for?

hes so good that he plays beyond the game
    I don't play cause I have no time. And if you tell people what you look for, then they have an advantage over you in game; they can also compare what you say here to how you're playing in game & find contradictions if you're scum.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

17. ISO #17

No, it's because you don't like us!

STOP LYING

18. ISO #18
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    No, it's because you don't like us!

STOP LYING
    Nah.
    Cryptonic doesn't dislike us. He just dislikes you.
    This is a quote from Band of Brothers FYI

19. ISO #19
    Ganelon

I'm not talking 'role/lw' here. This is a much deeper issue than that.

I'm talking about reading people for their in-game actions (that doesn't necessarily mean night actions; it means who they want to Lynch, what they are doing to Lynch people, how they are conducting themselves (i.e. do they want to Lynch inactives/go for policy lynches, for example? it's important!). If you want an example of that, the latest game I played (the Sc2Mafia one), I was pretty clearly Scvmurderer, Dunna or Efekannn if you think about it. And Kenny was pretty likely to be Hybrid or MafiaZ. These things vary from setup to setup but they always exist (it's the reason I tend to skim over shitposts; it's very difficult if not impossible to read shitposts).

Most posts a player makes are NAI. But some are more likely to reveal their intentions. And potentially alignment. Basically you need to read their posts and ask yourself 'What is the town motivation for this post? And the scum one?' If you find that one post can be easily made from either perspective, or if it's a shitpost, then it is NAI. But if you find a post that helps, for example, town more than scum (or at least is intended to do from that player's perspective), then it's a pretty damn strong indication that that player is town (at that moment, or at least playing from a townish perspective (i.e. could be a lonely neutral)). I know these kind of reads are much more accurate bc I've tested them in the 2016-17 games I've told you about. And (I'll admit my reading skills are far from the best) I've been right about my reads much more often and (80-90% of the time, esp. when I'm not in game kek), ever since I've started down this path.
    One other thing people shouldn’t do is tunnel. You know Eliza, the chatbot? She’s programmed to respond to certain sentences in specific ways, and if you say two sentences in one message, she will ignore one of them. Usually the second one. My point is, if you start reading someone as town or scum, allow there to exist room for doubt (reasonable room; it’s not your fault if they act scummy as fuck and are actually town, but still). Tunneling is not fun from either perspective.

Also, I’ve said this before and I will say it again. WIFOM is not a byword for ‘everyone can be anyrhing’. WIFOM is just a shit term for the general NAI character most posts and actions have.

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21
    Ganelon

Lmao

22. ISO #22

Well why would anyone like you?
    because

Spoiler : . :
    mesk > you

Spoiler : :) :

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

This is the essence of Archoning you never did something like this but something simliar we wont mention
    I Like Ice Cream

25. ISO #25

hi

did you know you can townread gay people when they help/avoid you

a great tactic is to determine if they play gay or not i usually had good reads with it
    I Like Ice Cream

26. ISO #26
    Ganelon

One other problem is, you cannot use emotion as an argument in a debate. It’s a very subjective way of reading the game, so even if you are ‘right’, the other person is not logically obliged to accept your arguments. It’s something you can ‘use’ as a gut feeling, but it’s not an argument. More like the precursor to one.

27. ISO #27

One other problem is, you cannot use emotion as an argument in a debate. It’s a very subjective way of reading the game, so even if you are ‘right’, the other person is not logically obliged to accept your arguments. It’s something you can ‘use’ as a gut feeling, but it’s not an argument. More like the precursor to one.
    screw the other person he doesnt have to agree/disagree once i exposed him by just saying he is scum without any leads except my sureness he is evil
    I Like Ice Cream

28. ISO #28
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Efekannn02 View Post
    screw the other person he doesnt have to agree/disagree once i exposed him by just saying he is scum without any leads except my sureness he is evil
    I tried to find a witty comment. But I couldn’t think of anything.
    So here’s your cookie

29. ISO #29

I tried to find a witty comment. But I couldn’t think of anything.
    So here’s your cookie
    it always works and holy shit how are you merde poster? i want something like that too

HOW?!
    I Like Ice Cream

30. ISO #30

Nah.
    Cryptonic doesn't dislike us. He just dislikes you.
    This is a quote from Band of Brothers FYI
    I just saw this quote and laughed 1 year later XD

~~

But the real reason for which I am reviving this thread is to ask you all a question.

Which role is the best role ever in your opinion, and why?

My personal favourite is... well, Citizen. There are so many things you can do as Citizen, without fear of nightkill, and with pure focus on day chat. It's not only fun, but also challenging and represents the game's spirit in the best way possible.
    I do expect people to not have the same opinion on Citizens, though, but still, I'd like to know your "best role ever!!"

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Vigilante. Do as I say, or eat my bullet. Doc on me.
    Mhmm, that's another interesting role, basically a citizen who can singlehandly apply pressure. What can make it less fun is the instability it creates in a setup. A kill in the Town's hands can either pretty much win the game for town if it hits a scum, or screw town if it hits a town. Do you have an idea on how to fix that in setups? Or do you believe it's not an issue? To clarify, I'm not saying Vigilante is a bad role, simply that it is hard to implement in a setup while keeping it balanced, unlike Doctor, Escort, and most investigatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    i feel like this discussion deserves its own thread.
    Maybe, but this thread exists too, and it could be used for more. Plus, not making a new thread yet leaves the possibility of making a new one open
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Well Hitler was fun for everyone

Making it a good role I guess
    Have you been Hitler recently?

In this case, the best role would be Jar Jar Jinx. Lol dat rol, we all bec ame crz ... Gut tim ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Rylai wasn't even a role but still became part of a game
    Reality Bender for president! See "????" game in the S-FM Archive lol. https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showth...l=1#post695059

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.