Getting dropped (DDOS or hack?)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Getting dropped (DDOS or hack?)

This is not the first time I get dropped after an "event" in the game. This time, I was judge (never spoke at night), and I came in with a clutch court to save a mafia from being lynched (and we lynched Vet instead).

I got dropped during the lynch proceedings. My internet worked fine during the Disconnect popup msg (I forget what it says, but it's the one with the option to dropout/resign). I am confident that my 1000 Mbps internet was not to blame here.

So, does anyone know if there is some hack going on that allows them to drop players? Some individuals like FatButcher have been accused of being hackers, so it wouldn't surprise me that they have role hacks. But is there a hack to drop players?

2. ISO #2

Re: Getting dropped (DDOS or hack?)

I PROPOSE THIS TO BE DISCUSSED PRIVATELY.

If such a hack exists, we don't want the trolls to find it

That being said, I believe it doesn't exist, unless you're really super skilled hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Getting dropped (DDOS or hack?)

Couple of things to point out:
    1. It is possible to DDoS people. SC2 is no exception. This is especially easy when there are less players (in the session, not players who died)
    2. It doesn't require THAT much knowledge (there's no skill involved, just knowledge of networking and programming) to DDoS someone, but it does require enough to where some idiot or average person couldn't just google search "How do I DDoS people who offend me" and start dropping players the next day. You don't need to worry about trolls "finding" them. DDoSing is usually done by ACTUAL hackers (or just generally intelligent people) with control over a botnet -- I don't mean people with a bunch of SC2 accounts -- or as you call: "Smurfs"

It's possible that you were DDoS'd, but I think it's unlikely especially given how many players easily call each other a "hacker" when
    A: they're just script kiddies that download a program off the internet, or
    B: the accuser is stupid and either doesn't understand how hacking works to begin with, or how the game itself works.

If you want to confirm if it was a DDoS, I'd monitor external network traffic at the very moment this incident occurs (if it ever does) again. The last time I was DDoSd, my router was being flooded via network packets by several computers and was unable to function properly.
    Last edited by Averis; July 12th, 2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Grammar errors, blame my AP English teacher :/

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6