I feel offended by the terminology.
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Thumbs up I feel offended by the terminology.

Yeah. It's all english terms everywhere. People only speak in english; even the HOSTS are not allowing other languages. So, as a French speaker, I propose that instead of using only French in FM games, as we should do, we should at least use one of the core words of FM in French. I have seen a proposal that seems adequate: LGCCMQLSVDMVEDJCLREHLBADTLIQAOECDL (Le Grand Cru Chassagne-Montrachet Que Le Sommelier Verse Dans Mon Verre Et Dont Je Contemple La Robe Et Hume Le Bouquet Afin De Tuer L'Idiot Qui A Ose Empoisonner Ce Divin Liquide).

Credits to DrippingGoofball and https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=WIFOM.

P.S.: this is not a serious thread, don't use that to ask for russian terms, Arsonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

2. ISO #2

Re: I feel offended by the terminology.

@Lenneth I CALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

3. ISO #3

Speaking of terminology: I have a question about OGC.
    Is it considered OGC if you make PRE-GAME arrangements? Like using code words or pre-determining what to do if get certain roles? Probably this kind of pre-game arrangements would come with a deal like "if you or me is scum/town then you or me likely lose".
    Last edited by OzyWho; May 25th, 2018 at 07:04 PM.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Is it considered OGC if you make PRE-GAME arrangements? Like using code words or pre-determining what to do if get certain roles? Probably this kind of pre-game arrangements would come with a deal like "if you or me is scum/town then you or me likely lose".
    I don't know, and I honestly don't care: it's cheating. To be more precise, it's cheating with an intent to do so: you are intentionally using additional information to gain an unfair advantage on other players.

ALSO, HOW DARE YOU POSTING SOMETHING SERIOUS IN THERE?!

5. ISO #5

Yes.
    You're communicating about the game outside of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Yes.
    You're communicating about the game outside of the game.
    No, I don't think it's OGC, because it implies ONGOING game. Else post-game chat wouldn't be allowed.

7. ISO #7
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    No, I don't think it's OGC, because it implies ONGOING game. Else post-game chat wouldn't be allowed.
    It's a form of cheating, in my opinion. Specifically, it is Out-of-game communication; you're planning in advance for a game. That's an unfair advantage.

8. ISO #8

Is it's out-of-game communication to speak another language/cypher, that only you and your friend knows? (For example: saying "Өнөөдөр улаан алж, маргааш ногоон ална" in the public chat?) No, but that's cheating, because we banned other lanuages from FM.

Also, i don't think LGCCMQLSVDMVEDJCLREHLBADTLIQAOECDL is a good term, too much letters tbh. I'm not asking for Russian terms, because not everyone has keyboard, with cyrillic letters to type it. English should be the only language in FM, that's all.
    Last edited by Arsonist; May 26th, 2018 at 12:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC]Why you hold cursor on my signature picture?[/SIGPIC] A very annoying SC2Mafia player.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Arsonist View Post
    Is it's out-of-game communication to speak another language/cypher, that only you and your friend knows? (For example: saying "Өнөөдөр улаан алж, маргааш ногоон ална" in the public chat?) No, but that's cheating, because we banned other lanuages from FM.

Also, i don't think LGCCMQLSVDMVEDJCLREHLBADTLIQAOECDL is a good term, too much letters tbh. I'm not asking for Russian terms, because not everyone has keyboard, with cyrillic letters to type it. English should be the only language in FM, that's all.
    You master shitposting so much that you manage to make a shitpost from a serious post by putting it in a joke thread. Amazing :P

10. ISO #10

OGC implies that both parties doing the OGC are both either in or planning to be in the game and that either side would receive an unfair advantage.

Plotting pre-game gives someone an unfair advantage: therefore it's OGC.

If you were to talk to a friend about the game as the game is going on, as I do sometimes, that's not OGC. You're not getting anything from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    OGC implies that both parties doing the OGC are both either in or planning to be in the game and that either side would receive an unfair advantage.

Plotting pre-game gives someone an unfair advantage: therefore it's OGC.

If you were to talk to a friend about the game as the game is going on, as I do sometimes, that's not OGC. You're not getting anything from it.
    Talk to a living player from a dead/spectating player is OGC, because it might affect the game. You don't have to be conspirating to be OGCing. A simple sentence from a random guy to you when you're alive and it influences the game.

OGC is not synonym of cheating. What Mag talked about IS cheating, but is not OGC.

12. ISO #12

So it's debatable if it's OGC or not, but it's not debatable that it's cheating.
    Ok, now I feel bad that, when I still played mafia many months ago, I didn't save screenshot of someone saying he and his friend ask distinctive questions to each other after a disguiser kill to know if they got disguised.
    Some very experienced players who I remember constantly played together. Was so long ago, can't remember who it was.

Should have reported back then!

13. ISO #13

So it's debatable if it's OGC or not, but it's not debatable that it's cheating.
    Ok, now I feel bad that, when I still played mafia many months ago, I didn't save screenshot of someone saying he and his friend ask distinctive questions to each other after a disguiser kill to know if they got disguised.
    Some very experienced players who I remember constantly played together. Was so long ago, can't remember who it was.

Should have reported back then!
    Exactly.
    Lol, once I've had a game when I was mafia, and town had two throwers in it, and three people literally admitted OGCing by being in the same house talking to eachother about the game... Anyway, rule of thumb: if you are using anything else than the host allowed places for FM/in-game chat for the mod, you're cheating. Simple as that.

14. ISO #14
    Ganelon

No Out of Game Communication :
    A. Do not communicate game related information outside of channels approved by the host. Communicate only at times and places approved by the host.
    B. Channels approved by the host include the main game thread, links to night chats given by the host.

Taken from the 'Forum Mafia Rules' thread.

Pre-planning your interaction with a fellow player in-game I would argue to be a form of out of game communication, since you are sending each other game-related information (if I do this, then X is true ----> direct, though subtle method of conveying a message; in addition, I'd point out that those rules are a general guide; simply because something does not fall under an exact definition does not mean that it is not a crime, and it doesn't necessarily mean that is not an instance of a partucular hitherto defined illegal behaviour. In this context, I believe that this form of communication is a form of cheating, specifically, out of game communication, because it allows one to modify their playstyle and to utilise strategies which otherwise would be difficult or even borderline impossible or insane to employ. At the risk of using a logical fallacy as an argument, I'd like you to ask yourselves if using non-approved channels to formulate stratefies to be used in the game (such as a doctor, a bus driver and a veteran exchanging information outside of the game so that they can form a kind of killer-trapping met (the doctor heals the bus driver who proceeds to bus the veteran and a target they believe will be attacked that night)) constitutes OGC or not - and, by the way, doing such a thing is reportable behaviour in the mod, and in falls under the general heading of 'Skyping - Additional Information'.

15. ISO #15
    Ganelon

This is actually incorrect, because you cannot influence the outcome of a game that has already finished. People are allowed to take at the end of the game because this is a pretty stressful game, friendships have been lost over it and allowing the players to talk about the game after it has ended actually has its own value, besides that of providing a point of reference for (other) players and for future games.

16. ISO #16

Surely a mod could end this discussion immediately lol. But yh Magoroth's points are pretty convincing.

btw, why would you bring in French terminology if English is already a perfect language that spans all possible forms of self expression? As well as being THE international language? :3 :3 :3

17. ISO #17
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Surely a mod could end this discussion immediately lol. But yh Magoroth's points are pretty convincing.

btw, why would you bring in French terminology if English is already a perfect language that spans all possible forms of self expression? As well as being THE international language? :3 :3 :3
    Down with the French and their pervasive spectre!!! Never again suffer the Norman yoke! /s

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    Down with the French and their pervasive spectre!!! Never again suffer the Norman yoke! /s
    FRANCE FOR EVER

19. ISO #19

if English is already a perfect language that spans all possible forms of self expression?
    Yeah....that's wrong.
    The German language is the one who is known to have a lot of expressions or words designed to express feelings or sensations that we all know very well but are either in none other language or almost none.
    Googled it now and I got quite a few links that are listing such German words.
    Here is one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1SvGMY4Qs

Tbh, I don't like most of those words nor could I ever see myself using them if I was a German.
    But I gotta admire them for those nonetheless.
    Also, checked 2 different links and they seemed to have different lists. So I guess Germans do have a lot of those words.

20. ISO #20
    Ganelon

Yeah....that's wrong.
    The German language is the one who is known to have a lot of expressions or words designed to express feelings or sensations that we all know very well but are either in none other language or almost none.
    Googled it now and I got quite a few links that are listing such German words.
    Here is one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1SvGMY4Qs

Tbh, I don't like most of those words nor could I ever see myself using them if I was a German.
    But I gotta admire them for those nonetheless.
    Also, checked 2 different links and they seemed to have different lists. So I guess Germans do have a lot of those words.
    German words are more like logical phrases and descriptors than real words, to be fair. Taking an extreme example, there's a word in German for 'Association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services'. There used to be quite a few of those words in English as well, until we replaced most of them with either Norman or French ones (in culture and law) or with Latin equivalents, like, for instance: witengamot (basically, the royal council, literally the Wise Men's Meeting), Agenbite (of inwit) (which is supposed to be... remorse (which is itself formed from the root 'mordeo', to bite, and the prefix re-, which signifies repetition), as it's a direct translation (calque) of that word), and, my personal favorite, hleator-smiþ (literally laughter smith). My point is that those are not really words so much as expressions spelt without any spaces.

This is because German, like most modern Germanic languages (except for English and, I assume, the German dialects spoken in the Ticino Valley (I'm not 100% sure on the latter)) are agglutinative languages, meaning they can practically cobble together different words without changing them to account for ease of pronunciation. So, if you want a really fucked up language

ICELANDIC IS YOUR FRIEND

The longest word in this language is this one

Vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyk lakippuhringur
    Last edited by ; June 1st, 2018 at 01:31 PM.

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    German words are more like logical phrases and descriptors than real words, to be fair. Taking an extreme example, there's a word in German for 'Association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services'. There used to be quite a few of those words in English as well, until we replaced most of them with either Norman or French ones (in culture and law) or with Latin equivalents, like, for instance: witengamot (basically, the royal council, literally the Wise Men's Meeting), Agenbite (of inwit) (which is supposed to be... remorse (which is itself formed from the root 'mordeo', to bite, and the prefix re-, which signifies repetition), as it's a direct translation (calque) of that word), and, my personal favorite, hleator-smiþ (literally laughter smith). My point is that those are not really words so much as expressions spelt without any spaces.

This is because German, like most modern Germanic languages (except for English and, I assume, the German dialects spoken in the Ticino Valley (I'm not 100% sure on the latter)) are agglutinative languages, meaning they can practically cobble together different words without changing them to account for ease of pronunciation. So, if you want a really fucked up language

ICELANDIC IS YOUR FRIEND

The longest word in this language is this one

Vaðlaheiðarvegavinnuverkfærageymsluskúraútidyralyk lakippuhringur

22. ISO #22

Is there a specific question?

In-Mod games, It's English only because the game depends upon speed, and does not give enough time to use a translator. Speaking another language is cheating in the mod.

On forum Mafia, option is for the host, they may ban other languages. Or they may not, but then there is google translate which means that they can just translate it themselves.
    Trend is to stick to English only, its the sites native language, and the one the majority understand.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

23. ISO #23

It was more of a joke... but people started talking about languages, and the thread got lost in serious stuff :P

24. ISO #24

Ohh. Just realized that it's a lie. I think just yesterday I asked Magoroth for the English equivalent of the word "Fremdschämen".
    <--- love this emoticon!

25. ISO #25
    Ganelon

Ohh. Just realized that it's a lie. I think just yesterday I asked Magoroth for the English equivalent of the word "Fremdschämen".
    <--- love this emoticon!

lol I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean but it would translate literally to 'stranger-shame' or stranger-shaming'. I assume that's xenophobia?

26. ISO #26