IEM / GSL / Blizzcon
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

IEM / GSL / Blizzcon

I was watching the IEM Katowice 2018 grand final today on youtube and I noticed something that I don't quite understand.

Artosis said something like: "Starcraft2 has 2 big tournaments each year - IEM and Blizzcon".

I remember watching some GSL game some weeks ago and the same guy, Artosis, said something like: "GSL is the toughest tournament" and "This is the tournament that the Koreans want to win the most".
    (which in my ears equals to being the biggest tournament)

My memory is known to not be the brightest one so you can take it all with a grain of salt. However - I also though all these years that GSL is the 2nd biggest tournament each year right after Blizzcon.

So my confusion is - which one is considered bigger? IEM or GSL?

At least I know that this wouldn't be a question in the early days of SC2, because then Koreans>Foreigners by a lot and guess where all the Koraens participated..

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: IEM / GSL / Blizzcon

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I was watching the IEM Katowice 2018 grand final today on youtube and I noticed something that I don't quite understand.

Artosis said something like: "Starcraft2 has 2 big tournaments each year - IEM and Blizzcon".

I remember watching some GSL game some weeks ago and the same guy, Artosis, said something like: "GSL is the toughest tournament" and "This is the tournament that the Koreans want to win the most".
    (which in my ears equals to being the biggest tournament)

My memory is known to not be the brightest one so you can take it all with a grain of salt. However - I also though all these years that GSL is the 2nd biggest tournament each year right after Blizzcon.

So my confusion is - which one is considered bigger? IEM or GSL?

At least I know that this wouldn't be a question in the early days of SC2, because then Koreans>Foreigners by a lot and guess where all the Koraens participated..
    iem=gsl, gsl is korean based iem is general. That s why you would see more non koreans in iem than gsl.
    Blizzcon=Every tournament that blizzard has made, gsl wcs, gives points to pro players, you either get in first 8 or so with your points or win off a gsl or wcs to play in blizcon. Blizcon is the biggest and the hardest one and it is the global finals.

so iem=global based gsl=korean based, but non koreans still can join in such as scarlet
    Last edited by Hybrid; March 5th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Your signature shuld be "Too scummy to be scum!" :P
    Quote Originally Posted by PIayer View Post
    Hybrid... :weed: even his corpse is scummy

5. ISO #5

wcs is non korean based tournament made by blizzard as well except for the wcs global finals.

6. ISO #6

well i take my word blizzard made for iem, i think it s non blizzard since it s intel extereme masters tournament. it just gives price to the players i d think

7. ISO #7

So in conclusion: IEM actually is bigger than GSL, because GSL is mostly only Korean while IEM is global.

I remember in like 2011 or 2012 - GSL had all the Koreans, every other big tournament had like 5-6 at most. Combined with Koreans > Foreigners at that time by a lot, GSL was the most hyped tournament next to Blizzcon. Times have changed.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    So in conclusion: IEM actually is bigger than GSL, because GSL is mostly only Korean while IEM is global.

I remember in like 2011 or 2012 - GSL had all the Koreans, every other big tournament had like 5-6 at most. Combined with Koreans > Foreigners at that time by a lot, GSL was the most hyped tournament next to Blizzcon. Times have changed.
    tbh watcher wise yea the stage will be filled up etc since it has got a whole lot of sponsors but gsl>iem in the blizzard tounraments.

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12