A topic about what you think throwing is
Register

User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    A topic about what you think throwing is

    I realize it is the natural knee-jerk reaction to think every time someone does the wrong thing and you lose because of it, that person was "throwing".

    I would like to open this thread up to hear from the entire community what you think throwing really is.

    I think the worst part of our community is that everytime someone does a dumb or misinformed thing they are accused of throwing and bashed repeatedly. I am not making this post because people have unjustly done it to me, I am making it because I see new players being scared off by people spamming "YOU FUCKING THREW I AM REPORTING YOU @#%@#%!#@%". This is a serious issue because it is unlikely SC2 will get that many new players from now on. If the few new players to mafia are scared off by salty players, without any growth, the community will inevitably die.

    So, basically, I want this thread to be an opportunity for the community to decide what is really an example of "throwing" and what is not. I would love to hear specific game examples and why you think it is or is not throwing.

  2. #2

    Re: A topic about what you think throwing is

    If there is any concern with a report that's been incorrectly processed, let us be aware of the issue. (If it's a report on you post in that topic and be sensible and explain things logically, if it's a report on someone else post in the answer hall)

    Generally, people can be reported for gamethrow for or what not, but nothing will happen unless it get reviewed and deemed punishable.
    We try to punish by intention and not by mistake. And hence why someone won't just get punished by doing something dumb.

    Also the watch list is before banlist, a player only ends up on the banlist either by serious offence, hacking/cheating ect. Or by repeated offences, griefing/gamethrowing ect. So if a player makes a mistake that ends up punished they have the chance to learn from it.

    If your looking for a definition. Gamethrowing is when you intentionally go against your wincon. Key word intention.

    There is reactionary gamethrowing also, which is very similar, but it's in reaction to something and the players emotion has overridden their common sense, which we don't punish as severely. After all 90% of us are human.

    For examples, I'll just point to our entire open list of punishments that have happened due to gamethrow.
    Cryptonic made this sig

  3. #3

    Re: A topic about what you think throwing is

    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    I think the worst part of our community is that everytime someone does a dumb or misinformed thing they are accused of throwing and bashed repeatedly. I am not making this post because people have unjustly done it to me, I am making it because I see new players being scared off by people spamming "YOU FUCKING THREW I AM REPORTING YOU @#%@#%!#@%". This is a serious issue because it is unlikely SC2 will get that many new players from now on. If the few new players to mafia are scared off by salty players, without any growth, the community will inevitably die.
    Oh yeah I think some players to chill out. We should be cultivating a welcoming and friendly environment, instead of scaring off new members of our community.

    But I don't think the problem is THAT widespread.

    There will, understandably, always be players who get exceptionally upset at losing and start lashing out, but generally the community's alright.


    Your friendly neighbourhood Asian here.

  4. #4

    Re: A topic about what you think throwing is

    Quote Originally Posted by Exeter350 View Post
    Oh yeah I think some players to chill out. We should be cultivating a welcoming and friendly environment, instead of scaring off new members of our community.

    But I don't think the problem is THAT widespread.

    There will, understandably, always be players who get exceptionally upset at losing and start lashing out, but generally the community's alright.
    It is THAT widespread. The two reasons why new players don't stay are:
    1) they don't understand anything and they don't want to learn anything.
    2) the community is salty bad shit insulting trolling throwing.

    Even if the report doesn't end in a punishment, the newcomer is still scared and flees I've seen that many times and it's very hard to stop a scared player from running away... also the community is not generally alright, it's generally salty xD

  5. #5

    Re: A topic about what you think throwing is

    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    I realize it is the natural knee-jerk reaction to think every time someone does the wrong thing and you lose because of it, that person was "throwing".

    I would like to open this thread up to hear from the entire community what you think throwing really is.

    I think the worst part of our community is that everytime someone does a dumb or misinformed thing they are accused of throwing and bashed repeatedly. I am not making this post because people have unjustly done it to me, I am making it because I see new players being scared off by people spamming "YOU FUCKING THREW I AM REPORTING YOU @#%@#%!#@%". This is a serious issue because it is unlikely SC2 will get that many new players from now on. If the few new players to mafia are scared off by salty players, without any growth, the community will inevitably die.

    So, basically, I want this thread to be an opportunity for the community to decide what is really an example of "throwing" and what is not. I would love to hear specific game examples and why you think it is or is not throwing.
    Well, it IS throwing. That's why there is "Intentional" gamethrowing. I think there are three gamethrowing categories: the intent gamethrow, the reactionary gamethrow and the unintentional gamethrow. Unintentional is simply a terribly bad move, like lynching a confirmed because you didn't pay attention.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •