Name Abuse Question
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Name Abuse Question

So there's some disagreement among players on if Jury is considered name abuse. Some players cite Omega as saying it is allowed while I cite Mesk saying it is not allowed.

I personally think it is abuse because it creates a pseudo-color abuse violation.

Opinions of both Omega and Mesk are in this report.. and Arrow added the 1x additional WL that Mesk suggested for using the name. https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showth...1-S2-1-6031826

2. ISO #2

Re: Name Abuse Question

Here's my rationale:

There are functional roles with functional text - if the Judge were to court, everything would shift to this:

Court: Lynch 6
    Jury: No lol
    Jury: I am 6

By association, whenever the Mayor or the Marshall reveal themselves, their text and chat remain exactly the same, with no modifications.

Reductively, Jury is a name that has no special powers or higher connotations assigned to it; it is a blanked-out, anonymous name, and is not afforded the same authority/standing as Court. Everyone regardless of role (save for Judge) become Jury in the rare instance there is a Judge, and they court - even with that, nobody is being tricked into thinking that court is ongoing; everyone still has their names, the wonderful music cue doesnt play, and there is nothing that otherwise differentiates Jury from the other player names.

This is just my method of thinking, but I'd imagine that for a game which revolves around strategy, most anyone could differentiate between a court and a normal day.

Best,

Takaya

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

I disagree. Jury gives no special power in game like any other Name Abuse.

Having name " " does give advantage: pretending your slot is dead or pretending to be another player.
    Having name ASDASPIDORASASDASPIDORASASDASPIDORASASDASPIDORAS gives advantage. No role can be seen on graveyard.

Tell me, why should Jury be considered name abuse? Why aren't colored names like Investigator, Jester, Godfather or simply Mafia not considered name abuse?
    orange lowercase phrase
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)=▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

5. ISO #5

I don't think that is. Even though it might be lead to some confusion, it has nothing to do with name abuse. Even though it might seem like that like a name abuse, but while in court, everyone's name just becomes jury. So it has nothing to do with name abuse. In my opinion it should be considired as Ignored post. Also even if Sc2 administration not even allowing that kind of little joke, my post about "Taking same name over and over again" should be considered as Name Abuse since it really does effects the game. Which isn't. He should be ignored or additional x1 watchlist as mesk said.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Nawa View Post
    I disagree. Jury gives no special power in game like any other Name Abuse.

Having name " " does give advantage: pretending your slot is dead or pretending to be another player.
    Having name ASDASPIDORASASDASPIDORASASDASPIDORASASDASPIDORAS gives advantage. No role can be seen on graveyard.

Tell me, why should Jury be considered name abuse? Why aren't colored names like Investigator, Jester, Godfather or simply Mafia not considered name abuse?
    I agree, they should be considered as Name abuse as well. But only if your role and your name is the same it is name abuse which is rubbish.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

The policy has been reworked. Current model is this:

-When a player names themselves a blank or almost name (such as only a dot)
    -When a player colors their name to prevent from being noticed on the name list
    -When a player names themselves something so long that their words can't be read in normal chat
    -When a player names and colors themselves the same or very similar to another player making it difficult to tell the 2 people apart
    -When a player uses colored text to fake a game message (Such as revealing as Mayor/Marshall, Faking a private message, or faking a last will message)
    -When a player uses a colored text code to confirm their identity

May add in more specifics later to prevent people from abusing and dancing around the rules but naming yourself a role or something like Jury provides no real advantage and will no longer be treated as name abuse. If there is some exploit we have overlooked please let us know so it can be modified to stay specific and covering.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.