Editing Posts
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Editing Posts

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Editing Posts

Hosts can make a good use of the editing feature to correct the OP, add the links to N1/D2/etc. to the OP, etc.

I would say make it a feature only available to hosts and staff, but I do agree with Duck that it instinctively leads new players to edit posts. It could use a rework.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    DUDE, YOURE ONLY LEFT ALIVE BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN EXTRA CHROMOSOME DO YOU NOT SEE THAT

4. ISO #4

The flip side of this argument is that new players pick up the rule extremely fast here and at most, are usually warned once, after which time they stop and never make the mistake again. I.e. when you're told not to edit, you tend to stop. I'm also not super familiar with the site's back-end, but I don't think that this would be nearly as easy of a change as you guys are making it sound like, especially in terms of many hosts not being staff and having to mess around with people's rights on the site each time they host, etc.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by PLZLEAVEDUCKK View Post
    This doesn't belong here, but I just thought of an idea. Can we remove the edit feature from the FM section? Playing on MU there was no edit option, and I have seen others not know about this, and even almost instinctually gone to edit typos.
    Sadly, no, because FM Hosts require the ability to edit their posts, and we cannot grant the ability to only TCs.
    If you can find a good vb4 plugin allowing this type of feature, we can look at adding it.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    Sadly, no, because FM Hosts require the ability to edit their posts, and we cannot grant the ability to only TCs.
    If you can find a good vb4 plugin allowing this type of feature, we can look at adding it.
    TBH, we could make an "FM Host" usergroup, and I'll add/remove people from it as they host S-FMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    What. You got me. Stop unvoting and stretch my neck, dammit.

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    TBH, we could make an "FM Host" usergroup, and I'll add/remove people from it as they host S-FMs.
    Eh, I don't see this as being such a problem in FMs as to warrant continuously futzing around with usergroups. If memory serves me, it came up like twice in the Beginner's Game, and once players were told they shouldn't edit, they stopped. There are a number of other things for new players to learn (voting, PMs for night actions, night chats, etc.) and this is just one of them.

8. ISO #8

I see no need for this feature to be removed; if anyone is truly concerned about an edit, then they can report it and have FM staff inspect changes made, and infract if needed (wasting FM Mod time, making changes to the actual content of the post etc).
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

9. ISO #9

That seems like a huge hassle, and doesn't solve the problem of hosts playing in other games having the ability to edit.

Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    That seems like a huge hassle, and doesn't solve the problem of hosts playing in other games having the ability to edit.
    MZ's counterargument might be that the FM Host group would be removed from hosts once their games are over (doesn't diminish the huge hassle issue though). However, you make a good point about this not solving the problem of a player hosting a game while playing in another game at the same time -- they would still have the ability to edit. If we had some influx of post editors, I might see the merits in a change like this, but just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and one that adds a bunch of additional steps to be taken each time a game is hosted.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessB View Post
    MZ's counterargument might be that the FM Host group would be removed from hosts once their games are over (doesn't diminish the huge hassle issue though). However, you make a good point about this not solving the problem of a player hosting a game while playing in another game at the same time -- they would still have the ability to edit. If we had some influx of post editors, I might see the merits in a change like this, but just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and one that adds a bunch of additional steps to be taken each time a game is hosted.
    Yes, nothing will change in regards to this unless it's a site change that allows topic creators to "mod" their own topics in one specific subsection. With the amount of posts that get edited, no one should have to add/remove permissions from users every few days.

I looked at one point for a plugin, and couldn't find one that does that.

12. ISO #12

Some places it is a real problem to keep people from editing their posts - its almost hardwired into the people on particular sites. I had a really big problem with it in some of the first games I hosted off site. I actually had to mod kill someone because its just like breathing to people there to edit posts for grammatical reasons. You guys might want to give a shout out to Thingyman and his team on how they were able to pull it off. Could lead to good things, who knows.
    Mafia Record:
    Spoiler : On Site/Universal Total :
    ..Total: 5/9 = 55.6% | 61/104 = 58.3%..
    ...Town: 3/5 = 60% | 42/76 = 55.3%...
    ....Mafia: 0/2 = 0% | 14/23 = 60.9%....
    .....3P: 1/1 = 100% | 3P: 3/5 = 60%.....
    My advice on Mafia play:
    Get the Led Out

13. ISO #13

I'm one of those breathe and edit types.

I make tons of spelling errors when I type. I proofread, but sometimes I don't catch something until after it's posted.

Where I do this the most is a message board, not a game site, I post like mad over there, so I have to be physically restrained from editing on sites like this.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Just create a god damn sfm host account that can only do the editing.
    We would need an account for every SFM running concurrent. It would also involve resetting the password every SFM for the accounts. Seems like a lot of work for something that is not an issue at all.

16. ISO #16

There is no conflict in having a host group and disallowing edits outside of the host group.

The issue is with newbies not knowing they shouldn't edit, correct? Hosts aren't newbies, thus they should be able to be trusted not to abuse the edit feature.

By members not having edit access, and members experienced enough to host HAVING edit access, it answers both needs.
    Everybody Lies.