"Alternative" setups
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

"Alternative" setups

I know most everyone has played a standard setup in mafia - 3 mafia, 1 SK, and 8-10 town, including a sheriff, invest, and doc. There are several variations to the setup but they usually have a very similar look. After playing several of variations of this setup (50+ games) in a row I felt they got a little repetitive and started experimenting with some very different setups just for a change of pace. I found one that at first glance looks awful, but in actual execution it's a very fun alternative to the standard setup.

Setup includes:
    Serial Killer
    Serial Killer
    Serial Killer
    Serial Killer
    Bus Driver
    Bus Driver
    Bus Driver
    Bus Driver
    Witch
    Witch
    Godfather
    Consort
    Consort
    Jailor
    Jailor

SK is NOT invulnerable at night, and does not kill roleblockers. Godfather is invulnerable at night. Bus driver can self switch.

I admit it was not easy convincing people to give this setup a try in the lobby, but when successful we all had a lot of fun. The game is faster paced than standard setups by design, and it really makes people have to think and analyze a situation that they're not used to analyzing because of the major differences in the setup. It's certainly more chaotic than the standard setups, but that's not to say it goes without skill - killers can easily end up getting hit by a bus, or killing another killer if they choose targets poorly. For townies it's all about strategically choosing targets - Protecting yourself #1, and using your knowledge to make sure non-townies are killed/executed. Sometimes it's funny when an SK identifies the godfather by realizing he couldn't be killed at night try to convince town to execute without revealing that he is SK.

I played three straight games:
    Game 1: Three SK's died first night due to mafia and targeting other SK's. The game moved along at a good pace and the remaining SK survived until the last day, when there was a GF, BD, and SK left. SK and BD end up lynching the GF. SK celebrates and tells everyone "GG" as they go into night fall. Morning comes and the SK was hit by a bus. The entire graveyard was cracking up something fierce. Town wins game.

Game 2: Two consorts die first night by SK hands, and town is slowly picked off. Final day comes on and there's two SK's and a BD, but noone knew who the two SK's were except the bus driver. He self switches with one of them, and hits him with a bus. Unfortunately the other SK had targeted the one he switched with - and he ended up dying. The one surviving SK wins the game.

Game 3: Town and SK's are gradually getting killed through the game. Somehow the mafia manages to survive 4 SK's and 2 Jailors throughout the entire game by strategic roleblocking. Mafia wins the game.

I realize it's not a huge sample size, but in all three games it felt very balanced. Even when things seemed tipped in the favor of one side or another, the BD, Witch, and Jailor roles would be utilized successfully to restore balance. It's a great setup when you don't have the full 30+ minutes for a standard setup. Most importantly, it ended up being a lot of fun. I will probably continue to play the standard setups simply because that's what the game is designed for and they are the most popular, but when you're looking for a good change of pace, "alternative" setups can be a lot of fun. What non standard setups have you played that ended up being a great time? Post/discuss them here...I'm always up for playing new and fun mafia games.

2. ISO #2
    The Cheat

Re: "Alternative" setups

I've done the "bussin' roulette" setups before. The main reason I'm a little against them is because that if any of the Bus Driver targets overlap, it is nearly impossible to figure out what actually happened by the time the day ends. However, I suppose if you're not Town this doesn't really mean much, but having been the Bus Driver in this, it was slightly frustrating.

However, the change of pace was still welcome at the time.

3. ISO #3