I have needs
Register

User Tag List

Thread: I have needs

1. ISO #1

I have needs

Planned on doing things with my life this weekend. Seeing family and friends, typing out something I planned to do this weekend, catching up with homework, optimizing my stalking methods, and other productive things. However, something happened.

Anime. (You guessed it)

After ages of not touching the stuff, I thought to myself: 'ooh let's watch a couple episodes of this show called "Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru" because it might be interesting'. Inevitably, a couple episodes became an entire Saturday of 25 episodes as well as starting out the manga. Inevitably, I now feel a gaping emotional hole where human contact should be.

Sooo I was wondering if someone more experienced in this area could recommend a sort of romancy slice-of-lifey anime, preferably with a happy ending. I don't want complete density - I like something with a bit of creativity/edge. Manga works too. High School setting preferred because I'm self-centered. The manga from this last anime won't last me forever T_T

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: I have needs

Yzb! Welcome back!

I think I have just the anime for you!
    Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts)

It's about Takayuki, a high school dude. Haruka, high school chick, has a crush on him. So her friend, Mitsuki, goes and befriends Takayuki as a middleman kind of thing. Shinji is Takayuki best buddy. They all become close friends. Then Haruka confesses to Takayuki her love for him. Takayuki, not wanting to hurt her feelings agrees to go on a couple of dates and they get intimate. However Takayuki and Mitsuki realize they really like each other. On a date where Takayuki is considering breaking up with Haruka, he goes off to buy Mitsuki a birthday present and leaves Haruka waiting for him on a corner. Haruka is hit by a car and left in a coma. Overcome with guilt, Takayuki dives into a deep depression becoming a feelingless robot realizing Haruka was a sweet girl and the love of his life. Years pass by, Haruka is still in a coma, Shinji has a nice job but rarely sees the other friends, and Mitsuki works a shit job as a waitress also trying to take care of Takayuki because he's a shell of a human now. Finally Mitsuki gets Takayuki to snap out of his depression and guilt and they bone down and admit that they can live on together. Shinji hooks Takayuki up with a job and everything starts to get normal. Haruka wakes up from a coma and Haruka and her family want Takayuki to follow through with their pre-engagement thing and pick up life from there. Everyone is crazy conflicted in emotions and this can't end well for anyone. Points if you guess how many of them commit suicide before watching it. :-D

[It's only 14 episodes]

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    I've missed you. We can make our own romancy slice of life here.
    S-S-Superjack! I told you not to say things like that in front of others... Only when we're alone together... Baka!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Yzb! Welcome back!

I think I have just the anime for you!
    Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts)

It's about Takayuki, a high school dude. Haruka, high school chick, has a crush on him. So her friend, Mitsuki, goes and befriends Takayuki as a middleman kind of thing. Shinji is Takayuki best buddy. They all become close friends. Then Haruka confesses to Takayuki her love for him. Takayuki, not wanting to hurt her feelings agrees to go on a couple of dates and they get intimate. However Takayuki and Mitsuki realize they really like each other. On a date where Takayuki is considering breaking up with Haruka, he goes off to buy Mitsuki a birthday present and leaves Haruka waiting for him on a corner. Haruka is hit by a car and left in a coma. Overcome with guilt, Takayuki dives into a deep depression becoming a feelingless robot realizing Haruka was a sweet girl and the love of his life. Years pass by, Haruka is still in a coma, Shinji has a nice job but rarely sees the other friends, and Mitsuki works a shit job as a waitress also trying to take care of Takayuki because he's a shell of a human now. Finally Mitsuki gets Takayuki to snap out of his depression and guilt and they bone down and admit that they can live on together. Shinji hooks Takayuki up with a job and everything starts to get normal. Haruka wakes up from a coma and Haruka and her family want Takayuki to follow through with their pre-engagement thing and pick up life from there. Everyone is crazy conflicted in emotions and this can't end well for anyone. Points if you guess how many of them commit suicide before watching it. :-D

[It's only 14 episodes]
    sounds dramatic and heavy for my shallow personality. But I'll try it for you Senpai :3

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

You know what my problem with Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru is? It's been so long that I've completely forgotten about it except for very few key plot points and it makes it impossible for me to start watching season 2 because I can't enjoy it that way. Kinda sucks. :/

You know what problem you'll have with your preferences? It's that very few SoL romances have a happy ending. Most are just open-ended or want you to start reading the manga that's been going on for years already and the anime was just to get you hooked.

I'd be interested in knowing if you only want "realistic" settings. There are many great SoL romance comedies but if you want to have a realistic school setting then most are going to feel the same: uninspired stereotypes, same old harem settings and rarely a happy ending.
    There are tons however that incorporate some other element: Maybe people have superpowers in one anime or the protagonist finds himself with a girl as his hand (Midori no Hibi, I feel like that'd be right up your alley! Happy ending, very unique, check it out!)

Or if the main genre has to be romance then you could start looking at Shoujo shows (anime catered to girls that is) because they like to do romances with realistic settings and they have characters with depth or try to be refreshing (my fav from that department: Kimi ni Todoke).

I could recommend you many shows but I cannot read your mind and thus will not know what specifically you'd like or wouldn't. I will just post a list of a few shows that seemed good while revisiting the list of anime that I've watched (My MAL profile is https://myanimelist.net/profile/Vonax if you want to check it out).

Midori no Hibi (already mentioned that)
    Mikakunin de Shinkoukei (not super satisfying but a very nice ride)
    MM! (should be heavy on comedy IIRC)
    Welcome to the N.H.K. (well that one is a bit heavier and doesn't have a school setting but it's one of those anime that you should've watched just because the setting and execution is unique)
    Onegai Teacher (and in a similar vein Onegai Twins: they are certainly different and I don't consider them good per se, don't regret having watched them though)
    Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (pretty good, more comedy-based)
    Sankarea (you might like the idea of the plot)
    School Days (just kidding, don't watch it, you won't like it.. it's certainly.. very unique though and it's good to have watched it. Seriously. It's a bit heavy though)
    Sukitte Ii na yo. (Another Shoujo romance just like Kimi ni Todoke, very well made if you want anime with a great focus on romance)
    Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (You'll probably like this)

This list is in alphabetical order so just orientate yourself according to the additions I made in the brackets or simply look them up and see if you might like them.

Hope I could help, feel free to ask for more!
    Last edited by NoctiZ; December 7th, 2015 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Efekannn02 View Post
    i scumreaded him because his posts were gay
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    ah fuck.
    I HARDCLAIM MASON ASSASSIN.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by NoctiZ View Post
    You know what my problem with Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru is? It's been so long that I've completely forgotten about it except for very few key plot points and it makes it impossible for me to start watching season 2 because I can't enjoy it that way. Kinda sucks. :/

You know what problem you'll have with your preferences? It's that very few SoL romances have a happy ending. Most are just open-ended or want you to start reading the manga that's been going on for years already and the anime was just to get you hooked.

I'd be interested in knowing if you only want "realistic" settings. There are many great SoL romance comedies but if you want to have a realistic school setting then most are going to feel the same: uninspired stereotypes, same old harem settings and rarely a happy ending.
    There are tons however that incorporate some other element: Maybe people have superpowers in one anime or the protagonist finds himself with a girl as his hand (Midori no Hibi, I feel like that'd be right up your alley! Happy ending, very unique, check it out!)

Or if the main genre has to be romance then you could start looking at Shoujo shows (anime catered to girls that is) because they like to do romances with realistic settings and they have characters with depth or try to be refreshing (my fav from that department: Kimi ni Todoke).

I could recommend you many shows but I cannot read your mind and thus will not know what specifically you'd like or wouldn't. I will just post a list of a few shows that seemed good while revisiting the list of anime that I've watched (My MAL profile is https://myanimelist.net/profile/Vonax if you want to check it out).

Midori no Hibi (already mentioned that)
    Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
    MM!
    Welcome to the N.H.K. (well that one is a bit heavier and doesn't have a school setting but it's one of those anime that you should've watched just because the setting and execution is unique)
    Onegai Teacher (and in a similar vein Onegai Twins: they are certainly different but I don't consider them good per se, don't regret having watched them though)
    Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (pretty good, more comedy-based)
    Sankarea (maybe you like the idea of the plot)
    School Days (just kidding, don't fucking watch it, you won't like it.. it's certainly.. very unique though and it's good to have watched it. Seriously. It's a bit heavy though)
    Sukitte Ii na yo. (Another Shoujo romance just like Kimi ni Todoke, very well made if you want anime with a great focus on romance)
    Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (You'll probably like this)

This list is in alphabetical order so just orientate yourself according to the additions I made in the brackets or simply look them up and see if you might like them.

Hope I could help, feel free to ask for more!
    playing school days atm lol
    I love oops

Spoiler : :

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Suntax View Post
    Am I the only person who does not understand how anime is entertaining I don't care if you watch it, I just don't get it.
    Anime is just a medium just like cartoons or shows with real people are mediums. There'll be something you find entertaining if you can enjoy the general artistic style of the medium but if you don't like even that then of course you won't like anything. Just like you wouldn't like any cartoons if you hate how everything is drawn in there.
    ah fuck.

12. ISO #12

Well I feel like the game might be better than the anime by a lot.. but who knows.
    supposedly like 30 dif endings. playing it bc it's the only fully animated vn and that caught my interest.
    I love oops

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    supposedly like 30 dif endings. playing it bc it's the only fully animated vn and that caught my interest.
    Yeah I think that might be the second School Days game, first one had 12 maybe? Not sure. I knew someone who preordered the second School Days game. The anime was hilarious in a twisted way though. You seen it? If not you should watch it. It's way better if I don't tell you shit about it.
    ah fuck.

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Yeah I think that might be the second School Days game, first one had 12 maybe? Not sure. I knew someone who preordered the second School Days game. The anime was hilarious in a twisted way though. You seen it? If not you should watch it. It's way better if I don't tell you shit about it.
    haven't watched. every anime of a vn is worse than the vn bro.
    I love oops

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    haven't watched. every anime of a vn is worse than the vn bro.
    Clannad was pretty good (even though not everyone is a fan of the path chosen). Just because game adaptions of movies are generally bad doesn't mean every game adaption of a movie is bad (to put it into perspective).

I'm not sure what the endings are like in School Days but the anime is like a massive car crash. It's super hard to look away but it's so worth it lmao

I realize this is an impossible question, which is part of the fun.

What is THE best anime? Only 1. Not 1 per category. Not 2. There can only be one!
    Totally depends on your criteria. I'd say Death Note because casual fans and veterans alike can enjoy it and it's not completely weird as to overwhelm the casual viewers all while delivering a suspenseful story even for the veterans. They totally dropped the ball towards the end but it's still one of the greats.

As you can see, my criteria was going for the most "well-rounded" anime in terms of the amount of people who could enjoy it.
    Last edited by NoctiZ; December 8th, 2015 at 10:49 AM.
    ah fuck.

19. ISO #19

LOL! Yzb, I was kidding! It's such a heavy show that pulls at your heart strings.

If you want a light show, check out Ouran High School Host Club.

Honestly I stopped the manga/anime hobby maybe 8 years ago now. For reference, I was current with Naruto from the beginning and stopped all my anime/manga after maybe the second season.
    Suspected you were kidding, but thought I'd try it anyway for masochistic pleasure even if it did go depressingly. Also, holy shiiit 8 years is like half my life lol. Oldie. I loved Ouran HSHC

Thankyou very much for this post. P.S. I don't think a rewatch of dat show is out of the question. It's good shit.

What is THE best anime? Only 1. Not 1 per category. Not 2. There can only be one!
    lol I don't see what makes the question impossible. Lucky Stars 4 lief m8.

In all seriousnessnessness, I'd probably choose Attack on Titan, for the powerful impact (I am aware of how silly it is for a show to have a "powerful impact") on my friendship group, and the knock-on effect that had on me. The pure fanboying over that show caused my mental progress as a human being to stagnate and die, making me into the intellect I am today.

It's quite a new show though, so you'd have to pull the shillings out of your old, Victorian arsehole to be able to concentrate on it if you return to anime.

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Thankyou very much for this post. P.S. I don't think a rewatch of dat show is out of the question. It's good shit.
    Yeah, I've had a rewatch in mind but it starts slowly and I kinda start being bored at the beginning. We'll see though, I will watch it someday but not in the near future. :P

And no problem, I enjoy talking about anime. Let me know if you've watched any of the shows on my list and give us your thoughts!
    ah fuck.

21. ISO #21

NGE
    I love oops

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

Well I feel like the game might be better than the anime by a lot.. but who knows.
    bahahaha

Yeah I watched this one. As the episodes got towards the end, it became very bizarre and almost impossible to understand - Although I really liked the last episode which was more philosophical.
    It's a troll, no one actually likes NGE

24. ISO #24

Yeah I watched this one. As the episodes got towards the end, it became very bizarre and almost impossible to understand - Although I really liked the last episode which was more philosophical.
    did you watch the movie? it's supposed to be the actual end of the episodes, bc they ran out of budget for the last 2.
    I love oops

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

Serial Experiments Lain

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

27. ISO #27

Yeah, I've had a rewatch in mind but it starts slowly and I kinda start being bored at the beginning. We'll see though, I will watch it someday but not in the near future. :P

And no problem, I enjoy talking about anime. Let me know if you've watched any of the shows on my list and give us your thoughts!
    Man, I remember deeply relating to the main character in Welcome To The NHK when I watched it several years ago. But I don't think I'd have that same connection again. That anime captured a very pathetic aspect of the human character in a way 99% of stories fail to do. In most stories, such a character is simply misunderstood.

28. ISO #28

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Man, I remember deeply relating to the main character in Welcome To The NHK when I watched it several years ago. But I don't think I'd have that same connection again. That anime captured a very pathetic aspect of the human character in a way 99% of stories fail to do. In most stories, such a character is simply misunderstood.
    That is true, I guess the problem for most stories is that they're not "real" enough. Welcome To The NHK is completely on-point with the things the protagonist does as they're in line with the character they've established at the beginning all while making it very easy for most to relate to him in some way. The other characters react as you'd expect them to in most situations which is also good. And it goes from depressing as hell to hilarious in a matter of seconds. Great show.
    ah fuck.

29. ISO #29

That is true, I guess the problem for most stories is that they're not "real" enough. Welcome To The NHK is completely on-point with the things the protagonist does as they're in line with the character they've established at the beginning all while making it very easy for most to relate to him in some way. The other characters react as you'd expect them to in most situations which is also good. And it goes from depressing as hell to hilarious in a matter of seconds. Great show.
    Yeah most anime stories definitely are not "real" enough. Anime and movies are an extremely corrupted platform, in terms of what's going on artistically. It's just the sad reality of having many people working on something and many of them needing money and perhaps not even sharing the vision of the person who had the original idea.

Books rarely have that issue. But western writers these days do seem a little hungry for approval from all da critics lol. That's the issue with nearly every western writer doing a school course in literature and art and then having to forever fight against the "faux depth" that academia tried to force down their throat.

God knows who's wise idea it was to make all branches of human talent equally serious by giving them all an academic lesson setting with academic coursework/exams - clearly such a setting doesn't suit art. Though, I guess I'm really starting to ramble now sorry lol XD.

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31