S-FM Ladder Season Two Conclusion
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

S-FM Ladder Season Two Conclusion

Season Two of the S-FM ladder has officially concluded!

Congratulations to Firebringer for first place!
    Congratulations to Toadette for second place!
    Congratulations to Slaol, RLVG, Stealthbomber16 for third place!

Prizes will be distributed at Admin's convenience.

Season two of the ladder was incredibly competitive. Though we had considerably less games in this season compared to the first, the average participation rate was much higher! On average, players played or hosted about 3.69 games this season, compared to season 1's 3.16. To everyone who contributed to this, thank you. The Forum Mafia sections of this website is one of its core pillars and supporting it means a lot for the continued growth and development of the game and community. Kudos to everyone who has earned a season prize, and don't worry to anyone who didn't, for you too can start fresh in Season three. Just look at Toadette, who started mid season ;)

Of course, although the ladder was overall successful, I need to address the faults that came with it; otherwise it is akin to pretending they never happened. I made several errors out of carelessness especially when it came to counting up streaks. I apologize to everyone this affected and I did my best to fix it up before this post. I thought on this problem and a simple solution I came up with for next season's spreadsheet is to simply put an asterisk next to a player's name for each consecutive win and erase them when I record a loss. Another major issue was the cancellation of S-FM Election Day, despite having a clear game ending. Had it been seen through, Slaol would have picked up 3 points from a win and a 5-win streak. Unfortunately there is nothing I could do, as Deathworlds is recovering from a serious illness and it is his right to have his wishes respected in these times.

I want to finish looking back by moving forward. Since site activity has increased dramatically, Season 3 is planned to contain 15 games. Hosts will earn 1 point for hosting up to two times, and then a half point for every game hosted after that, without a cap. MVP will be under rework, with details released at a later time. For the most part, everything else should be the same.

Congratulations everyone!

Final Spreadsheet.
    Spoiler : Orpz FM History :

FM17 - Won, FM18 - Won, FM19 - Won ,FM20 - Loss, FM21 - Won, MVP, FM22 - Host Canceled, FM23 - Won, FM24 - Hosted, FM25 - Won, FM26 - Loss

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Re: S-FM Ladder Season Two Conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by Firebringer View Post
    I would like to see extraordinary plays by you, I have yet to see you go full out in a single game.
    hjkhgjsglj
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

I, slayer of Akira, savior of Revenant, Head of Community Events, Fire Lord, Conqueror of Calgary, lifeblood of the latest stages of Mafia Development, Retired national touring rapper, traveling gigolo sometimes, two degrees of separation from the Cartel, FM 15 MVP, M-FM 15 MVP, Host of the most posted FM, Host of the most posted S-FM, "Why was the first thought in my head this morning how much I needed your dick in my ass?", Host of the greatest M-FM series, the original MVP that can solo win and somehow not get MVP because our meta is good, future Ex-Mr. Toadette, the man that rose to dominate Sc2 mafia in under a year, the great and all-mighty Slaol, officially concede the loss in this S-FM Ladder.

Since I was a boy I knew I was destined for greatness, yet first was out of my grasp this time. All of my achievements are for not as I was unable to win a contest in which I intentionally played roughly half the games my competition did. Mind not that I still would have won if not for a crippling illness suffered by the host. For all the skill technique and Mafia understanding that I have pales in comparison to sheer attrition and immune systems. We are truly in the golden ages of Mafia where the best man in the business can play half the games, get robbed of points in his best performance, and still come in third. What a time to be alive.

Congrats to Fire.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    stuff
    Cheers mate! I only played 5/12 games in the season and hosted 1 other. We should celebrate our success
    :toad:

Spoiler : O.o :
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWolf
    Why are you being an anti town bitch? You got a fucking point or just a major fucking attitude problem? I dare you to take me on with a game related case cuz I'll tear it apart.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

That's only 1 game. This was like 15 for him or something.
    Pffffff.

He won via quantity. He just so happened to be on the winning team in most games, and was in pretty much all the games that were hosted by someone other than himself.

He had MVP in one game. lol

Pretty sure getting teal is more impressive than what he accomplished.
    None can stand against the coming Darkness...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA
    Sometimes, the light can come from the darkest places...

17. ISO #17

I gave Fire his trophy badge. Now who's taking it from him next season? I got 2/1 odds on Toadette, with a 3/1 on TDL.
    I got Toadette

Highest win and mvp rate

FM17 - Won, FM18 - Won, FM19 - Won ,FM20 - Loss, FM21 - Won, MVP, FM22 - Host Canceled, FM23 - Won, FM24 - Hosted, FM25 - Won, FM26 - Loss

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

I don't do well under pressure guys!

Why are you being an anti town bitch? You got a fucking point or just a major fucking attitude problem? I dare you to take me on with a game related case cuz I'll tear it apart.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkestLight View Post
    Pffffff.

He won via quantity. He just so happened to be on the winning team in most games, and was in pretty much all the games that were hosted by someone other than himself.

He had MVP in one game. lol

Pretty sure getting teal is more impressive than what he accomplished.
    I deserved MVP for Fableblood II. The MVP system is fucked up, Slaol and others voted Toadette just to spite me.

I have quote from someone telling me they did just that.
    Don't pet growlithe, he will bite you.

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by Firebringer View Post
    I deserved MVP for Fableblood II. The MVP system is fucked up, Slaol and others voted Toadette just to spite me.

I have quote from someone telling me they did just that.
    You won the ladder so I don't understand the defensive tone here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23. ISO #23

I, slayer of Akira, savior of Revenant, Head of Community Events, Fire Lord, Conqueror of Calgary, lifeblood of the latest stages of Mafia Development, Retired national touring rapper, traveling gigolo sometimes, two degrees of separation from the Cartel, FM 15 MVP, M-FM 15 MVP, Host of the most posted FM, Host of the most posted S-FM, "Why was the first thought in my head this morning how much I needed your dick in my ass?", Host of the greatest M-FM series, the original MVP that can solo win and somehow not get MVP because our meta is good, future Ex-Mr. Toadette, the man that rose to dominate Sc2 mafia in under a year, the great and all-mighty Slaol, officially concede the loss in this S-FM Ladder.

Since I was a boy I knew I was destined for greatness, yet first was out of my grasp this time. All of my achievements are for not as I was unable to win a contest in which I intentionally played roughly half the games my competition did. Mind not that I still would have won if not for a crippling illness suffered by the host. For all the skill technique and Mafia understanding that I have pales in comparison to sheer attrition and immune systems. We are truly in the golden ages of Mafia where the best man in the business can play half the games, get robbed of points in his best performance, and still come in third. What a time to be alive.

Congrats to Fire.
    Why the rum is gone?

v)o.o)^
    A rare Yuki in ultimate form

Yukitaka Oni ~Tafkal Hit Squad Member~

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

Slaol and I have been discussing a new MVP system and I should be able to reveal the details tonight when I get home.

EDIT: Delayed 24 hours, sorry. Too tuckered out from school and work.
    Last edited by Orpz; November 7th, 2015 at 02:39 PM.

26. ISO #26

Quote Originally Posted by Orpz View Post
    Slaol and I have been discussing a new MVP system and I should be able to reveal the details tonight when I get home.
    Or you could just get rid of the system

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

27. ISO #27

To be eligible for MVP in an S-FM season 3, a player must have a case made for them (by another player, host, or themselves) in the post-game discussion. The host then accepts or rejects this case as valid; approvals can be done preemptively in the host's game end thread (host recommendations). For rejections, the host must also provide clear reasoning. I will personally read over the thread and decide if a rejection is valid. If not, then the host's rejection will be overturned and that player will count as "approved" for MVP.

Election will be done only by players votes now.

Nominees accepted by host require a plurality of the votes to win MVP.
    Nominees rejected by host require a majority of the vote to win MVP.

Details are still being worked out.

The main goal was to soften the impact of the host on votes while maintaining their leadership on MVP votes, as well as strike down troll votes. After careful deliberation, I have decided that the players are the ones on the front lines of the game and as such, have the most in-game interaction with would-be MVP's. So I removed the host's vote from voting.

Instead, I will play to the host's role as an omniscient narrator and have them review cases for MVP, and approve them as legitimate bases for a player's nomination. In this regard, hosts retain authority and a final say on the MVP decision. Note that while this is supposed to be completely objective (host looks and confirms that a nomination is based on fact, also rejects clear troll votes), it's unrealistic to expect no emotions interfering.

Which is where I come in. If a host should deny a player nomination, I will review the case and make sure that the host's reasoning is fair from their point of view. I understand that this does put MVP decisions in my hand, even if I'm not in the game, and while it's not preferable, I believe it's necessary in order to make sure we don't have deserving players gimped out of personal reasons or spite.

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

Just abolish MVP. Its a dumb popularity contest.

I'm not participating in MVP discussion or votes anymore. Instead of fun post game discussion, we have game after game of silly fighting about who is most deserving, and people voting for friends or to spite others. Be done with it.
    Last edited by Toadette; November 8th, 2015 at 03:24 PM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

30. ISO #30

Quote Originally Posted by Toadette View Post
    Just abolish MVP. Its a dumb popularity contest.

I'm not participating in MVP discussion or votes anymore. Instead of fun post game discussion, we have game after game of silly fighting about who is most deserving, and people voting for friends or to spite others. Be done with it.
    The goal is to change what it is.

31. ISO #31

The goal is to change what it is.
    Won't change. You have hosts that don't care and hosts that are biased. Either way its always politics and fighting over something so meaningless that ruins the end of games. Its dumb. Consider my future no votes as a protest towards it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

32. ISO #32

I would like to see something in the ladder that puts more quality over quantity next time around.

And congrats fire on the win. Well played bro
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

33. ISO #33

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I would like to see something in the ladder that puts more quality over quantity next time around.

And congrats fire on the win. Well played bro
    Ladder is supposed to encourage people to play, though.

MVP is definitely broken, especially with how cliquey the site is. Someone will try to get all their friends not to vote someone who will pass them on ladder, ect.
    A few solutions that I can think of:
    1) Ladder points kept hidden until the end of the season.
    2) Every MVP vote must be accompanied by strong reasoning (ie. at least 100 words) in order to count.
    3) Winning MVP awards a different variety of point that is only taken into account to reconsile tie-breakers at the end of the season (ie. Player A and B are tied for first, Player A won MVP 3 times, Player B won MVP 2 times; Player A wins first place).

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

I had suggested a non-player judge to decide among the approved MVP options for as little bias as possible. Orpz disagreed and i didnt whip out my admin dick... So now we're here.
    Does that mean i can vote as well ?

v)o.o)^
    A rare Yuki in ultimate form

Yukitaka Oni ~Tafkal Hit Squad Member~

36. ISO #36

While the determination to make this system work is great, I think we should take a more Toadette-ish stance and simply not get too bogged down with this whole thing.

Numbers and MVP nominations don't build good reputations, the plays themselves do. Firebringer's not going to be remembered as a good player because of that one time he won the Season 1 Ladder in S-FM, he's going to be remembered as a good player because of Sheriff Jailor and his unnatural ability to read others, among other real skills.

Overthinking this system and trying to build it up and make it work seems like it will just encourage more ego trampling and award addiction. Keeping it casual and simple seems like the best long term course of action. Besides, the best feeling of accomplishment comes from when you can attain the approval of yourself.

Anyway, congratz on the win Firebringer.