Windows 10 is going to Strain CDNS already passed TBPS
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Windows 10 is going to Strain CDNS already passed TBPS

Microsoft has finally pushed the big button that begins the rollout of Windows 10 around the world. As each time zone ticks over into July 29th, a new wave of Windows updates is being released and experts are now concerned that Microsoft is going to put a serious strain on content delivery networks (CDN) worldwide.

Streaming Media is citing internal sources and is saying that Microsoft has reserved up to 40 Tbps with all of the key CDNs which is a massive amount of bandwidth. As of July 28th at 1PM ET, Microsoft is said to already be consuming over 10 Tbps and seeing that all regions are not yet online for deployment, it's only going to go higher.

For comparison, Apple events, which are known to strain networks around the world as well, typically peak at about 8 Tbps, which means the Windows 10 deployment could be five times that of any Apple event.

If there was any doubt that this is a massive deployment for Microsoft, these numbers should help put it into perspective to show that Windows 10 is being pushed down to likely millions of machines starting earlier today.

Also who is going to download windows 10?
    people once said that Firebringer played legit for example

2. ISO #2

Re: Windows 10 is going to Strain CDNS already passed TBPS

Why would you want to download / install Windows 10 as soon as it's released? Aside from staying on the cutting edge / trying out the new features early, I don't see any benefit to being an early adopter here. Download speeds aside, you're just asking for tons of bugs and incompatibilities given this is an initial release -- I'm happy to wait a bit and not be a guinea pig for Microsoft while they fix all the inevitable glitches and problems.

Keep in mind, Apple makes it look easy because they have a much more limited number of hardware configurations to support -- in contrast, it usually takes until the first Service Pack release for most Windows versions to be reasonably stable. Most businesses adopt this mentality as well and do extensive testing / wait for Microsoft to resolve bugs before deploying any new version of Windows. Lastly, you have up to one year to get the free upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 so there's really no need to rush to install it anytime soon.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

I don't believe my gaming will be interrupted when windows 10 launches, because I and many other sc2 players have already switched to Archlinux, or another Free and Open Source operating system. I would encourage everyone reading this post to delete your windows partition, and instead install an operating system that respects your freedom, such as GNU/Linux.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by GoatseOntheCupboard View Post
    I don't believe my gaming will be interrupted when windows 10 launches, because I and many other sc2 players have already switched to Archlinux, or another Free and Open Source operating system. I would encourage everyone reading this post to delete your windows partition, and instead install an operating system that respects your freedom, such as GNU/Linux.
    Implying that everyone uses Linux or similar OS.

6. ISO #6

Microsoft is going with their bad release, good release pattern for consumer versions of Windows:

Windows 98 - Good Release (for the most part, especially SE, which cleaned up a lot of bugs -- the bar was pretty low though given consumer releases weren't on the NT kernel yet)
    Windows ME - Bad Release (pointless stopgap release before Windows XP -- still buggy by virtue of not being on the NT kernel)
    Windows XP - Good Release (first NT kernel release for consumers, many people still use XP given how stable it was, especially after the service packs -- lacks a lot of the junk / useless features which have been piled onto subsequent versions)
    Windows Vista - Bad Release (useless changes for the most part and lots of early issues for upgraders -- gets a somewhat unfair rep for being horrible because of the early problems, but was mostly unnecessary and didn't add much value that XP wasn't already providing)
    Windows 7 - Good Release (stabilized most of the Vista issues and was sorely needed to keep with new hardware given most people skipped Vista)
    Windows 8 - Bad Release (shameless attempts to get people to use Microsoft apps and combine phone / tablet / computer users into a single interface which didn't make much sense -- has been cleaned up to some extent and there are some useful things like boot speed improvements, but still, the UI changes were brutal)
    Windows 10 - Good Release? (the bar is pretty low -- just repair mistakes from Windows 8 -- and certain features like voice controls could be good)

There are certainly things not to like about Windows 10, however, including forced automatic updates (which have already caused problems with things like flaky device drivers), removal of the Media Center, etc. However, being able to put Metro apps in windows and getting a more normal Start Menu back is nice. That said, you could have just installed an add-on to get the classic Start Menu back in Windows 8. Better not to rely on Microsoft to keep things consistent across releases.

Given they're going to provide ongoing support and updates to Windows 10 (vs. releasing a brand new version every so often), I see no reason not to take the free upgrade from Windows 7 / 8 to Windows 10 eventually. I'll probably be waiting until July 2016, right before the free deal ends though, so that as many bugs as possible have been resolved. I could see Microsoft having to abandon the forced automatic updates change too, given all the issues people have had so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RLVG View Post
    We all know how Windows 8 went on launch.
    They tried to lure our nostalgia by saying they put back old functions in 8.1 and didn't deliver.

Pass.
    Last edited by DarknessB; July 29th, 2015 at 12:00 PM.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

I like Windows 10, it's a lot like Windows 8, but better.
    We've never seen that before from Microsoft

As for linux. I tried ubuntu a few years back. I found it enjoyable, but the deal breaker was of course the lack of support for the OS by popular apps like Microsoft Office and Starcraft.
    You have to run it through wine, but that's a band-aid solution. It usually results in a bunch of problems.

Spoiler : :
    FM XIV - Rapture : Denizen
    FM XV - Star Wars : Citizen
    FM XIV - FuzzyWuzzyTown : Doctor