Welcome to Crytography 101
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Welcome to Crytography 101

Hello people of sc2mafia! This thread is here to explain the basics of Crytography, or the art of encoding and decoding messages.

What is Crytography?
    Crytography is the art of encoding or decoding messages to securely pass along information between two or more parties. Most of you already have seen or used a code, most likely as a disguiser code, in order to prevent someone else from impersonating you.

Why use Crytography?
    Crytography is the ultimate way to secure information and confirm yourself in many situations. How would you feel if everyone could read your text messages between other people? This is why most messages sent between computers are encrypted.

Could you give me an example of a code?
    Sure, Morse code is a popular and internationally recognized cypher. It uses two different characters, dashes (-) and dots (.). The most easily recognized message is S.O.S or ... --- ... Morse code was used in the early 20th century, to communicate between naval ships and some airships.
    A more modern cypher would be binary, which works by turning characters and commands into an 8 digit "phrase" with 2 different characters, 0 and 1.

Code Development
    Developing your code could be an either simple or very complex mathmatical process. It could be as simple as keyboard placement or as complex as a formula with multipule variables. Experiment with what works, and remember, home made codes are harder to decypher.

Code Deveopment Part 2
    Feel free to post in this section of the forum about codes you make!

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsable with any failures of secure encryption between you and anyone else. I am not an expert in math, or crytography. I am merely enthusisatic about crytography. By reading this you agree that I am not liable for any damages caused by information leaks.
    Last edited by deathworlds; July 27th, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass