New to Mafia? Read this post!
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1
    Shepard

New to Mafia? Read this post!

Because this hasn't been written, I think I'll be the one to do so.

Hello! I'm Shepard, (CommShepard in b.net) I've been a Mafia player for quite some time. I started playing play-by-post Mafia on forums, so you can bet I was shocked when it was turned into a custom map for Starcraft 2. Needless to say, I was hooked by the presentation of it, and I'll probably still be playing it for a while!

If you're reading this, you've probably played a game, didn't know what the hell was going on, and came to the website to see if you could learn anything about what you are supposed to do. This is good, the more you actually know about the game, the more informed you'll be on what in-game decisions you should make. I'm going to do my best to organize this into chapters, either read the whole thing, or simply skip to a section you'd like to read using you "Find" tool. (Control + F on Windows)

Table of Contents
    1) Getting started [M101]
    2) Playing as a team [M102]
    3) The First Day [M103]
    4) Appendix: Roles List [M104]

[M101]
    -Getting Started-

If you're new to Mafia, it is unwise to host your own game, as there are a ton of different settings and options you can change, and if anything, it'll be overwhelming if you don't know what half of it does. So, simply let the host change the options around. If there is something glaringly wrong (like 6 serial killers), go ahead and point it out. Otherwise, let the host do his thing.

After that, you'll be asked to pick a name. My advice is to pick a name that is actually a name, it adds flavor to the session, and names such as "Gh0$tSnIp3R" and "Player 6" tend to draw attention and stick in people's minds. Enter in your name with the command -<Yournamehere>

So, if I wanted to enter in my own name, the command would be -Dylan Koch

Having trouble picking a name? Use your Uncle's, your Mom's, a favorite video game character even, or possibly your very own name. All good choices. I like to name myself after BlazBlue characters, personally.

[M102]
    -Playing as a Team-

Now that you've got a name, the map will randomly assign you one of the roles from the list the host set up in the beginning. The current roles and their powers will be listed at an index at the end of the post. What role you are is barely more important than what team you are on. Simply put, you're either a townie or a member of the Mafia.

This is a numbers game.

The whole point of mafia is to reduce the number of players that are not in your faction to below the number that is in your faction. Therefore gaining the majority vote in the lynchings, and winning the game. However, if it was that simple, the Mafia would be a very difficult set of roles to play, as there are very few of them. The brilliant twist to Mafia is the fact that nobody knows each other's roles.
    Exceptions being the Mafia members, and the Masons.

Work with your team, I cannot stress this enough. It will be difficult to know who is on your side or isn't at the start of the game (Hell, it'll be difficult at the end too!). Start by looking at what's being said in chat. Are two players being unnaturally friendly together? Did somebody vote Innocent on that Mafiaoso you just lynched?

In general, if someone comes out as being a Sheriff or an Investigator, it is usually wise to take their word. Genuine Sheriffs risk a lot coming out and declaring their findings, as the Mafia will usually hit them the next night. If they are lying, you'll find out soon enough and will lynch them the next day for being against you (Mafia, or the Serial Killer).

Protect the important roles on your team. For the Townies this would include, in order: Sheriff, Doctor, Investigator, Vigilante, Consort.

If you're Mafia, the only one you need to protect is yourself. Lie, turn the townies against each other, work with your fellows, but don't count on them to be alive the next day. I will say, though, that if you're not the Hooker, it can be wise to sacrifice yourself for her, as Hooker is an incredibly powerful role to role-block Doctors and Sheriffs.

[M103]
    -The First Day-

The first day is where a lot of people will make mistakes, and where sometimes, the game can be won or lost by inexperienced players. If you are a Town member, IT IS VERY UNWISE TO LYNCH ON THE FIRST DAY. Why? This is a numbers game, you have a statistically better chance of Lynching one of your own, rather than a Mafia member. It is better to carry it over to the second day, and let the sheriffs and investigators try and find someone to lynch the next morning.

During the discussion, read the chat, it's unlikely you'll find anything glaringly unusual but look anyway. Try to look inconspicuous, you don't want the mafia to hit you for no reason other than that you were a loud talker, or for the Sheriff or Investigator to scout you for the same reason.

Keep your cards close to your chest, no matter what role you are!

[M104]
    -Appendix: Roles-

Here i'll be listing the Roles, and if applicable, giving short advice on what you should do.

Town Roles
    Citizen: Nothing special, you have the power of the vote. It can be wise to save the bulletproof vest.
    Mason: This role is awesome, you know exactly who another friendly is, and can confirm that with the townsfolk. Narrowing it down for the Sheriffs and Investigators.
    Consort: Role-Blocking, use it on suspected Mafia members or the Serial Killer. Do not use it on the first night, you don't want to unwittingly block the Sheriff.
    Vigilante: Kill two players, do not waste your shots, they become exponentially better as the game goes on.
    Investigator: Scout a player at night, keep in mind that both the Mafioso/Vigilante and the Hooker/Consort have the same description.
    Sheriff: Detect whether a player is town or not, very powerful, it is important for you to stay alive. Don't reveal too early, but don't reveal too late.
    Doctor: Save a player from death each night. Stupidly useful, use it on declared Sheriffs or Investigators so they can continue to research.

Neutral Roles
    Serial Killer: Have fun =), try to kill off important power roles first, for both sides.
    Survivor: You win either way as long as you're alive when either all the Town has been killed, or all the Mafia. It can be beneficial to side with the Mafia, sometimes.

Mafia Roles
    Mafiaoso: You're one of the GodFather's minions, stay alive so that he can kill. And also, lie your ass off.
    Consilerge: Like a mafia scout, look for Sheriffs and Doctors, so that the Mafia can remove them.
    Hooker: Exceedingly important role, night-block any declared Sheriffs or Doctors. On the first night, randomly block someone that isn't a Mafia, you might cause some infighting!
    GodFather: Very important role, you choose who lives, and you're most likely invulnerable to night attacks. However, you need your minions to do the dirty work. Keep them alive!

If you'd like to learn more, or simply want to play some in-house games, hop into the 'Mafia' channel on b.net!

2. ISO #2
    Faceless

Re: New to Mafia? Read this post!

Nice.