Secrets of the Fire Nation (Special Mechanics)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Secrets of the Fire Nation (Special Mechanics)

As in the previous Avatar games, this FM will feature dynamic roles. But this time, there's more of them. In this game every player will have 3 roles (of the same alignment) assigned to them by the hosts before the start of the game. The first role will be revealed normally via the rolecard PM on each FM account at the start of the game, each of the other two will only be revealed once their respective conditions are met.

These conditions are:
    1. Have Aang, the Avatar reveal himself to you at night
    2. Have Iroh, the Grand Lotus reveal himself to you at night

Answers to questions you're probably asking yourself right now:

Please read before asking questions

Can Aang/Iroh receive new roles from each other/themselves?
    Yes to both. If either of them is visited by the other, the visited party will receive a new role. If either of them manages to visit themselves, their introspection will reveal a new power within themselves they did not know they had (a new role).

How can Aang/Iroh visit themselves?
    Only through bus driver/witch shenanigans. They may not choose to visit/target themselves at night.

Can I use the powers of roles I don't know I have yet?
    No. These roles/abilities are considered inactive and unusable until the above reveal conditions are met.

Ok, I know that both of my secondary roles are assigned at the beginning of the game, but how is it determined what order I get them in?
    Each secondary role is tied to a specific visit from either Iroh or Aang. We have already determined which visit will give you which power, so it all depends on who visits you and in what order they do so.

Can multiple roles be used by a single person in a single night?
    No. On any given night, a player who has received a second role must choose which of their abilities to use. For example, if a player had both the doctor and sheriff roles available, they would have to decide to either heal a player or check a player. They will still only target one player per night and will only perform a single action on that player.

This also means that if Aang/Iroh gain a secondary role, on any nights they choose to use said role any player(s) they visit as a result will NOT gain new roles.

How do witches/bus drivers/etc. interact with multiple roles?
    Any witches and/or bus drivers will be unable to alter which action is performed, only redirect where that action goes. ie. If player A (the sheriff/doctor from above) selects to heal player B, and a witch targets A and instead directs him at player C, player C will be healed. The result would be the same if (instead of a witch) a bus driver had swapped B and C.

The shaman and amnesiac will only take the primary role of their target (the one received at the start of the game)

Do non-town players have multiple roles as well?
    Yes. If Aang or Iroh visit a non-town player, that player will receive an additional role (of their alignment). This will necessitate Aang and Iroh thinking very carefully about whom they choose as their targets so as to avoid inadvertently strengthening scum.

What happens if Aang/Iroh visit someone who they have already visited? Will the person visited receive another role?
    No. Aang and Iroh can only unlock one ability per person and the one they unlock is pre-determined. So if either of them reveal themselves to a person a second time, nothing will happen.

Are all possible secondary roles mentioned in the list of possible roles?
    Yes.

Special Mechanic #2: Cabbage Merchant

Much like in the MFM Avatar games, the Cabbage Merchant will once again be returning with his cabbage mechanic. Since it's a bit odious to put this description in every single possible Cabbage Merchant role description, I'll put it here.

For the uninitiated: The cabbage merchant starts the game with no cabbage. How sad for him. But if he manages to go two consecutive nights without being visited by anyone, he will grow a new cabbage. If, however, he gets visited by anyone on a given night he will lose a cabbage and will have to wait 2 more nights to grow a new one. If the cabbage merchant manages to win the game, if at any point during the game he had 3 cabbages at the same time his win will override.

Here is the exact wording the Cabbage Merchant will receive:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Merchant
    After you go two consecutive nights without being visited by anyone, you grow one cabbage. However, if one or more players visit you on a given night, they knock over your cabbage cart causing you to lose one cabbage (if you have one). This also restarts the time until you grow a new cabbage. If at any point during the game you possess 3 or more cabbages, then if/when you meet your win condition the game will immediately end with you as the sole victor.
    So if, for example, a cabbage merchant (jester) gets up to 3 cabbages, then gets lynched, the cabbage merchant would be declared the only winner of the game (even if he doesn't have 3 cabbages at the time he is lynched).
    Last edited by Forum Mafia GM; December 28th, 2014 at 08:44 PM.