Wiki Madness 2014
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Wiki Madness 2014

The Wiki has again fallen out of date. We need everyone to help. I'm sure most of you are on, or starting, summer vacation. What can I promise you for your work! Nothing! Maybe Rev will make a benefactor achievement one day if you do enough Wiki work.

Personally for me the Wiki has always been a pretty good resource. It lets me quickly double check just what exactly a role can do in the weirder circumstances, what Town Power/Protective etc. is, exactly how to unlock certain achievements, and so on. Do whatever you can, if it's from adding new content, to correcting grammar mistakes or adding strategies for certain roles.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Re: Wiki Madness 2014

I sadly don't play enought to know about all the new roles and other changes.
    But if you need help with the categories and templates, just give me a buzz.

And I am still watching the recent changes all the time. ^^
    Last edited by Deantwo; May 16th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.

Wiki User: Deantwo

the SC2Mafia Wiki is my playground!
    Spoiler : FM History :

FM18: Bushwalter (Drug Dealer)

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Edited Consig and Administrator with the new crime system now, thought they could need new strategys (Invest too) so feel free to add some.^^
    Consigliere and Administrator also work with the new Investigator system? Last I heard they didn't.

A little unhappy with the fact that you guys are making the Triad role pages.
    I was thinking of just making the info panel double on the corresponding Mafia role, so that it had the info for both roles.

The two roles are the same, plain and simple, that is why I haven't made the pages for each role before now.
    It'll just mean that information will have to be changed two places every time there is a change to one of the Mafia/Triad roles.
    Last edited by Deantwo; May 16th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Deantwo View Post
    Consigliere and Administrator also work with the new Investigator system? Last I heard they didn't.
    Yeah i were the one who told you that, but seems like it got changed now too.^^

A little unhappy with the fact that you guys are making the Triad role pages.
    I was thinking of just making the info panel double on the corresponding Mafia role, so that it had the info for both roles.

The two roles are the same, plain and simple, that is why I haven't made the pages for each role before now.
    It'll just mean that information will have to be changed two places every time there is a change to one of the Mafia/Triad roles.
    Wasnt me, I didnt had anything against the last system, but if Eagle Man wants to do more work let him.^^
    This is the Revolution. The glorious Evolution. There is no light, without shadow.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Wasnt me, I didnt had anything against the last system, but if Eagle Man wants to do more work let him.^^
    As long as he doesn't disappear again and leave it all for me to clean up again, then sure!

EDIT:
    Just deleted ~300 spam pages.
    There are a total of 300 spam pages left and I'll take care of them later, but right now I have some real life things to do!

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMan View Post
    Triad redirecting to Mafia might be confusing for newbs who are trying to use the Wiki as a resource. If you're an Informant and go to the Disguiser page and read about Godfathers, Mafiosos and Janitors you might have a hard time understanding how it relates to the game you're playing.
    Yeah... wish there was a way to use the same page for both, but have it replace all those names when accessing it from the specific faction.

But it could also have been fixed simply by making the Mafia pages better.

PS: See the amazing spam removal in action!
    https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/index.php?t...s=1&limit=2500
    Just 200 spam pages to go! And then the uncounted spam users that most likely number in the 1000s.
    Last edited by Deantwo; May 17th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.

12. ISO #12

I'll be doing more thorough reviews of the pages soon, for now I was just making sure each Triad role had their own page. I'll soon be going through every role. I'll probably be removing excess linkage too, it's too cluttered to have tons of bolded names and Sheriff or Investigator linked to for the dozenth time in a small page.

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMan View Post
    I'll be doing more thorough reviews of the pages soon, for now I was just making sure each Triad role had their own page. I'll soon be going through every role. I'll probably be removing excess linkage too, it's too cluttered to have tons of bolded names and Sheriff or Investigator linked to for the dozenth time in a small page.
    Yeah I guess I did go overboard with the links.
    Just have a hard time finding if it should or shouldn't be a link, and then I just take it the easy way and make everything links! ^^

One of the things in your changes though, I have noticed you are writing "you", I don't remember where it's written but one of the "guidelines" for the wiki was to make it all written in 3rd-person.

PS: Just leave the spam to me, I don't want to go through all your deletions to see if the user was blocked/deleted.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

There, that's the last of the spam pages.
    Nice and clean wiki now. ^^

If I am bored at any point I guess I can start deleting users that never made any edits on the wiki too, there's like 1000 of them that were created by spam bots but never created any spam pages.

16. ISO #16

Yeah... wish there was a way to use the same page for both, but have it replace all those names when accessing it from the specific faction.
    I was mulling over a solution for this and I think I came up with a pretty good one.

Here's the modified Godfather page I made: https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Userysop/Godfather
    As well as the modified Dragon Head page: https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Userysop/Dragon_Head

If you look at the source of the Dragon Head page, all it does is set the variable "triad" to 1 and then displays the Godfather page as a template. This variable is key. If you look at the Godfather page source, you'll notice that I've replaced all the Mafia-specific terms with template pages such as https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Template:Us.../NameGodfather. These template pages have code that checks if the triad variable is set, and if so, then it displays the Triad version of the term, and otherwise displaying the Mafia version of the term. I've also modified the infobox in the same way to control what color is shown (https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Template:Us.../Infobox_mafia). This way, any changes made to the Godfather page will then change the Dragon Head page too since the latter just displays the former. The only issue I've seen so far is when the page says "a Mafioso", since it changes to "a Enforcer" which isn't correct. I haven't thought of an elegant way to handle this yet, so if you have any ideas I'll be glad to hear them.

Once that's fixed, all that's left to do is go through all the Mafia pages, replace the necessary words and links, and then set up the Triad pages accordingly.

17. ISO #17

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    I was mulling over a solution for this and I think I came up with a pretty good one.

Here's the modified Godfather page I made: https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Userysop/Godfather
    As well as the modified Dragon Head page: https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Userysop/Dragon_Head

If you look at the source of the Dragon Head page, all it does is set the variable "triad" to 1 and then displays the Godfather page as a template. This variable is key. If you look at the Godfather page source, you'll notice that I've replaced all the Mafia-specific terms with template pages such as https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Template:Us.../NameGodfather. These template pages have code that checks if the triad variable is set, and if so, then it displays the Triad version of the term, and otherwise displaying the Mafia version of the term. I've also modified the infobox in the same way to control what color is shown (https://wiki.sc2mafia.com/Template:Us.../Infobox_mafia). This way, any changes made to the Godfather page will then change the Dragon Head page too since the latter just displays the former. The only issue I've seen so far is when the page says "a Mafioso", since it changes to "a Enforcer" which isn't correct. I haven't thought of an elegant way to handle this yet, so if you have any ideas I'll be glad to hear them.

Once that's fixed, all that's left to do is go through all the Mafia pages, replace the necessary words and links, and then set up the Triad pages accordingly.
    The raw text is a little messy to look at, but freaking awesome work on that!

PS: Why is it that Sysop's edits don't appear on Recent changes? It's freaking creepy to see stuff change when there is nothing in Recent changes. ^^;
    Last edited by Deantwo; May 19th, 2014 at 03:03 AM.

18. ISO #18

The raw text is a little messy to look at, but freaking awesome work on that!

PS: Why is it that Sysop's edits don't appear on Recent changes? It's freaking creepy to see stuff change when there is nothing in Recent changes. ^^;
    Yeah I agree it's a little messy. It might look better if we condense the template names, though.

Also I have no idea why my edits don't show up. I didn't set it manually or anything, so it's probably on by default.

19. ISO #19

Yeah I agree it's a little messy. It might look better if we condense the template names, though.
    Yeah simply {{Godfather}} (and so on) would do.

Also I have no idea why my edits don't show up. I didn't set it manually or anything, so it's probably on by default.
    Make a normal user account and use that? XD

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

Can't do that since {{Godfather}} would give you the Godfather page. We'd have to use {{NameGodfather}} or something to that effect.
    Mmh... no?
    If you make a template called "Template:Godfather", the way to use it would be "{{Godfather}}".

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

You can use regular pages as templates without the Template: prefix. That's what I did in my Dragon Head page.
    Yeah but that make the {{}} tag longer, and if you do that won't you need to make the template for each page?

24. ISO #24

Yeah but that make the {{}} tag longer, and if you do that won't you need to make the template for each page?
    Yes. Look at the code of the Godfather page I posted. We'd have to make a new template for each Triad/Mafia role to have it handle the name switching.

If we do what you're suggesting then it'll just insert the entire Godfather page into the page we want.