• Yes

3 33.33%
  • No

6 66.67%
  1. ISO #1

Spirit Medium role

Spirit Medium role
    Alignment - Cult
    The Spirit Medium can listen to anonymous death chat at night.

You find several rare and dangerous objects lying around your target's house, meaning that they could be a Coroner, Spy, Framer/Forger or Spirit Medium.

(Rare or dangerous objects could include crystal balls, necromancy books etc, it fits into the role description perfectly)

Becomes Cultist if alone - Yes/No Setting (default Yes)
    Converted Spy becomes Spirit Medium - Yes/No Setting (Default Yes)
    Excluded from Random - Yes/No Setting (Default No)

The spirit medium CANNOT talk to the dead, only listen to anonymous chat during the night only.

Not sure if this role type has been posted, my apologies if it has, it adds a little spark to death chat and ability to mislead Spirit Medium for dead players, It also will filter (somewhat) death chat questions and answers, meaning somebody who "skypes" question answers from death chat might be discouraged to do so.

If Death chat is on during the day, it would most likely spam the spirit mediums day log and make conversation for the spirit medium harder, it will also not give a break to dead players to be able to talk freely.

Having another cultist role would make a dual cultist save fair, a cult + WD save greatly reduces town chances of winning and greatly increases cults chance, having a WD plus SM (spirit medium) start would balance this.

I'd also like to see more cult roles and cult to become it's own team and -alist line.
    Last edited by abarford1; January 2nd, 2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Further editing of the role options.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Spirit Medium role

I had an idea that people might of posted something similar, I've talked with a lot of players in game about the role idea, I don't think the role would be considered "OP", scripting it would, in my mind, be the hurdle to jump over.

The night chat should be anonymous, the option of changing it could be taken out to balance it, but anybody can say anything on death chat, lies or the truth, it's somewhat like misleading a spy as mafia.

The best reason, I feel about the roles importance, is the ability to filter "somewhat" death chat questions from skypers, another option would be excluding it from randoms.

4. ISO #4

Trust me, the graveyard communicating related role has been keeping suggested, except it is not always a Cultist.

a spy for death chat and belonging to a team(cultsit) is more than you can handle on trial, if skilled, of course.

It doesn't help catching skypers. Game replay records all skyping related graveyard chat already.

It does give cultists player better information than others, if some skyper is doing inquisition in graveyard.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

5. ISO #5

On a game like clue, you would exclude it, or a set janitor you would exclude it, but you get roles and info from -lw and graveyard, It won't stop skyping, but I believe it would somewhat filter it, skyping inquisitions done by a town/triad/mafia member could possibly be listened into by another player, adding another risk factor.

Just an idea, I'm "Aaron" in SC2 mafia, hope to play with you soon.

6. ISO #6

what if he could listen to dead cult only

you know I actually think this role is acceptable as a cult now that I think about it. the only downside is that mafia/triad wont speak of who their teammates are, but cult already has an easy as fuck time finding other scum so I think it may work ingame
    Last edited by Lazers; January 1st, 2014 at 05:15 PM.

7. ISO #7

Well, only listen to dead cult, that dead cultist could just ask questions and get info for the medium, the idea that it's all dead and anonymous makes it more balanced, any mafia/triad can misguide the spy, any dead player can misguide the medium, not only that the death chat during the day will not be listened to, so it's open house during the day.

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

no....... just no. communicating with the dead is a huge no no. it gives people inside information that they should never get. ie - cult member talking with a dead townie. dead townie "oh yea that disguiser got me, i was 4" cultist talks to medium - "4 is mafia scum". - medium says to town - "sheriff here, 4 is a member of the mafia"

this would destroy dead chat. the purpose of even having the dead talk to each other is to make it less boring for the people who have died and it prevents them from quitting to play again, it gives them something to talk about to make the ongoing game seem less boring.

its a completely OP ability.

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1234513 View Post
    no....... just no. communicating with the dead is a huge no no. it gives people inside information that they should never get. ie - cult member talking with a dead townie. dead townie "oh yea that disguiser got me, i was 4" cultist talks to medium - "4 is mafia scum". - medium says to town - "sheriff here, 4 is a member of the mafia"

this would destroy dead chat. the purpose of even having the dead talk to each other is to make it less boring for the people who have died and it prevents them from quitting to play again, it gives them something to talk about to make the ongoing game seem less boring.

its a completely OP ability.
    I don't feel that dead people are as honest as you assume.

Anyway, with this kind of role, dead chat will be infested by liars.

By then, the cultist pretending trick will be quite more risky than assumed.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by abarford1 View Post
    Well, only listen to dead cult, that dead cultist could just ask questions and get info for the medium, the idea that it's all dead and anonymous makes it more balanced, any mafia/triad can misguide the spy, any dead player can misguide the medium, not only that the death chat during the day will not be listened to, so it's open house during the day.
    like anyone would fucking tell a cult true info

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    There are technical, balance and game integrity issues with a dead interactive role which is why we have not and do not have plans to add anything like it in the foreseeable future.
    saying there's a technical issue is redundant

there's always a goddamn technical issue

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

The spirit medium will NOT be able to talk to the dead, only to listen to death chat anonymously and only at night, like I said, it'd give some filter to what people say, why would you want to possibly give info to CULT role.

It's a cult invest role, mafia and triad both have invest roles and both communicate info to each other directly, the town has a spy role which listens in on that conversation as well, if death chat interaction has been discussed before, then it could possibly be a game mechanic that people will want and enjoy.

I don't accept the fault of the role being OP, it's far from it, I do accept that it could possibility be difficult to code.

If a townie is killed and cleaned, he could claim to have been disguised on death chat at night, that will misguide the spirit medium who might claim sherri, and try to lynch the person in question, there's a multitude of tactics that could go with or go against this role. Remember the chat is anonymous and the spirit medium CANNOT talk to the dead.

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17