Debate I
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Debate I

1. ISO #1

Debate I

Welcome to the first debate in the history of the forums. The debate will consist of 4 players on each side with Pro and Con. Here is the following format.
    You may not change the font size to a smaller font. All lines of text direct to the PC Mafia version, which is different for every phone on mobile. Please make sure to view the site in PC version to confirm that there are that many lines of text. Remember, the amount of lines of text is not required. If you are not in 1080p screen resolution, you can pm he host to confirm that the text does not exceed the maximum.

Opening - 15 lines of text allowed.
    Rebuttal 1 - 7 lines of text allowed.
    Rebuttal 2 - 7 lines of text allowed.
    Rebuttal 3 - 7 lines of text allowed.
    Rebuttal 4 - 8 lines of text allowed.
    Rebuttal 5 - 9 lines of text allowed.
    Rebuttal 6 - 10 lines of text allowed.
    Closing - 15 lines of text allowed.

Each player will go twice in the Debate. The team captain will decide what is fit for each player, and each team will have one week of preparation for the debate. The debate preparation will not start with at least three reserves and full signups for players and judges. The rules are the following.

I. Rules

Each player is allowed to PM the team leader. However, you must CC the pm also to me. Then, I will state on the main thread that (Player 1) has PMed to (Team Leader). Each Rebuttal must have a minimum of 3 lines of text, and a maximum of 5. Going over the maximum amount will deduct points based on how well the judge watches you. Remember that the maximum for Opening and Closing statements are 15 lines of text. Make it worthwhile and convince the judges that you have the upper hand by doing so. Only one person will speak at a time, and that one designated person is the one chosen by the team leader to speak. If any person does not follow these Rules, they will be replaced or mod-killed, and the Team Leader will have to make modifications for the team.

II. Judges

Judges must watch very closely to each player's posts. But let me tell you.... judging is hard. Because we are playing this on a forum where nobody possibly knows each other in real life... it might be a bit easier for you. Peer pressure is goddang good when a friend is judging your debate. Here are the guidelines for being a Judge.

1) One of the judges are responsible for watching over the line count for each post.
    2) Take notes on each post for evaluation.
    3) Leave the opinions to yourself.
    4) Do not fill in for ANY speaker.
    5) Reveal your decision
    6) Use a point system based on a rubric (will be provided)
    7) Watch for a team that goes off-topic. eg) If a team goes off-topic, and the opposition intentionally did it, then they should be awarded points.

Description of the Speaker Argumentation Refutation Structure Presentation
    How well did the speaker describe his statement? How well did the speaker argue against opponent statements? How well did the speaker maintain his position? How well was the speaker organized? How well did the speaker present his statement?

Give scores from 1~5 for each category. Use it for EACH speaker. Each judge will do a seperate point system. All judge decisions will be seperate until they collaborate to choose who wins.
    If a judge fails to comply or is inactive, the judge will be mod-killed or replaced.

III. Misc

The debate will be done on a single thread. The general topic statement will be given out by PM to each player. You may use any RELIABLE resource. An unreliable resource will be deducted points by the judge if compromised.

Last edited by ypmagic; June 15th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
    We are opposed to the line of compromise with imperialism. At the same time, we cannot tolerate the practice of only shouting against imperialism, but, in actual fact, being afraid to fight it. Kim Il Sung
    [CENTER]S-FM: Bus Drivers, S-FM: Trust, S-FM: Double Killers, S-FM: Double Killers Too, S-FM: Heart of the Swarm [COLOR="#FF0000"]HOST[SIZE=1]

2. ISO #2

Re: Debate I

If any moderator objects to this... I'll just close the thread immediately.
    We are opposed to the line of compromise with imperialism. At the same time, we cannot tolerate the practice of only shouting against imperialism, but, in actual fact, being afraid to fight it. Kim Il Sung
    [CENTER]S-FM: Bus Drivers, S-FM: Trust, S-FM: Double Killers, S-FM: Double Killers Too, S-FM: Heart of the Swarm [COLOR="#FF0000"]HOST[SIZE=1]

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by ypmagic View Post
    If any moderator objects to this... I'll just close the thread immediately.
    I like the idea of it. it just that you have to be careful what topics you are going to do. we had a few serious type discussions closed down before. Really the only thing that would be concerning is what are the debate topics. Thats what i would get approval from the mods if i were you

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Im sure this community isnt full of immature kids like in the Debates game.

7. ISO #7

Define a line of text...... Its a point of perspective.... Mobile devices have a smaller width and larger monitors/resolutions have a huge width. You need to define this rule a little better, because 5 lines of text to someone may only be 2 lines of text to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by ika View Post
    also you need to make a rule they cant change size text or something,

otherwise i can do this and add a lot more then needed
    Yeah I took both of your suggestions into consideration. So I made revisions to the line rules and revised the maximum lines per rebuttal. Now the real problem is getting some sign ups.

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by ypmagic View Post
    Yeah I took both of your suggestions into consideration. So I made revisions to the line rules and revised the maximum lines per rebuttal. Now the real problem is getting some sign ups.
    How have the rules change? (I don't see any changes for lines of text, how about number of characters?)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by powerofdeath View Post
    When are we doing this? Christmas?
    As soon as 10 sign ups are filled lololol.