American Exceptionalism - Page 2
Register

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is the US the greatest nation in the world/history?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 38.24%
  • No

21 61.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. ISO #51

Re: American Exceptionalism

Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo View Post
    No shit you think of your people FIRST. That doesn't mean the bad guys are not considered too. I dont expect your tiny mind to understand that. Besides this obvious fact it sure took them a bit more than 1 nuke to finally decide it was time it was quit. We even had to lie and threaten them with one we didnt actually have. There were places we considered bombing but did not because we felt they were too important to their people. Only an idiot can argue that dropping those bombs (and where we did) was not the better call for EVERYONE. I'm not typing any more than this till I get home because writing this on my phone sucked.

You know who I am btw so I know that you know who I work for. If you want to know what I do for them, I'm basically a manager in a tactical version of AT&T or COMCAST.
    lmao how would I know what you do.
    but anyways, you're a freak. I don't understand why you are spazzing like you are.. You are brainwashed, it's ok man.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

2. ISO #52

3. ISO #53

The number of "yes" votes surprises me. I guess I'll finally speak my piece on this issue.

For those who know anything about the etymology of the term I used in the title (American exceptionalism), you'll know that it refers to something more than simply a superlative status (i.e. "my country is the greatest"). That is certainly PART of the idea, but not all of it. Specifically, it boils down to a few key points. Here's a straightforward definition:

1. America (as in, the United States) is fundamentally different from all other nations that came before it. This is due in part to its core values as enshrined in law (a commitment to civil liberties) and also because of its birth through revolution (and thus, a supposed enshrining of rebellion as a core civil tenant).

2. Because the U.S. is unique and fundamentally founded on ideas of freedom, it has the responsibility and purpose of spreading that freedom and democracy to the rest of the world.

3. Because of this, the U.S. is uniquely qualified to do things that other countries CANNOT or SHOULD NOT do; because we love freedom so much, we can be trusted to do certain things that other nations cannot be trusted to do.

This is a political idea that has shaped a lot of the history of the U.S., both good and bad. The entire idea of manifest destiny (which pushed us to settle the Western frontier and have a country that spans the horizontal length of North America) is based on this idea. So, too, is the belief in U.S. interventionism.

In other words, while you can believe in American Exceptionalism and still not support foreign wars, it is this philosophy of exceptionalism that enables politicians to justify those very wars.

This is why, earlier in the topic, I pointed out that exceptionalism enables current U.S. foreign policy. By that, I specifically mean interventionism in the Middle East, but it also extends (both currently and historically) to other developing nations in the world (in the Kennedy era, this specifically meant "fighting communism" in South America by propping up dictators who were receptive to U.S. interests). These days, it enables the same thing in the Middle East. While our politicians claim that we go to war to spread democracy and freedom, we wind up instead supporting vicious dictatorships that are diametrically opposed to the ideals we supposedly carry with us. This, historically, has led to instability and revolution, that then requires MORE intervention.

In other words, this (along with developments during the past decade enabled by the War on Terror - the ultimate result of this policy of exceptionalism) philosophy enables the U.S. to be in a state of perpetual war. Recently, it has enabled the crumbling of the freedom of the press (Obama's historic war on whistleblowers), due process of law (Gitmo, plans to move Gitmo to Illinois, the drone program that enables the Executive branch to execute U.S. citizens - and everyone else - anywhere in the world without a trial), and the fundamental tenants upon which the U.S. has been founded.

It's interesting to me that 11 people voted yes; these are the people who enable the destruction of freedom. The ones who don't vote are worse, in my opinion; apathy is an even bigger enabler for tyrants.

EDIT:

To further this point:

The U.S. currently criticizes Iran and North Korea for attempting to attain nuclear weapons, when the U.S. has the largest nuclear stockpile in the world.

The U.S. regularly criticizes Iran for "interfering in regional politics of the Middle East." The U.S. has been at war with three different Middle Eastern countries in the past twelve years, two of them for twelve years. The U.S. regularly bombs countries in the Middle East with whom we are NOT at war, citing the fact that we have to kill terrorists who hate our freedom. The resentment caused by us killing civilians in nations with whom we are not at war creates more terrorists, allowing us to continue bombing them.

In other words, the U.S. uses American exceptionalism to justify the actions that we condemn when other nations do them. Most Americans don't seem to see the irony in this.
    Last edited by Lysergic; March 3rd, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

4. ISO #54

Quote Originally Posted by CmG View Post
    Lol how could i miss that piece of art? How can u trolls even try to judge the greatness of anything if you probably never were somewhere else like in your own country. How pathetic can u be?

Banana anyone?

Why is that even is serious discussion?!
    Ive been to Germany, Puertorico, texas, georgia, kentucky, PA, michigan, MO and tons of other places for
    U.S is not the best nub

5. ISO #55

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    USA dropped an atomic bomb on innocent people, that's disgusting.
    Can't be exceptional after that.
    I thought it was kinda trollzy of US to do it so I approve.

The Japanese are like Zerg before they get t2 units. Attack from above and it's gg.

The U.S. army is like the Terran Dominion cuz they are OP and the leadership always be nerfin' them.

Seriously though:
    Overall i would say it was good.
    This ended the war and stopped many more deaths on both sides.
    We were firebombing the towns anyway so that was killing everyone, we just use this as a threat to end the war.
    The Japanese had too much pride and would have never given up and let all their people die if this didn't happen.
    Either way civilians were dying this just ended the war and made it a lot less deaths on both parts.

Also this bomb didn't even kill that many people.
    The bomb only killed people within like a three mile radius from the blast.
    The shock wave and air blast killed almost everyone, all their houses were made of wood and sticks so they just blew over and killed people, this wasnt accounted for i am guessing.

Don't blame the bomb blame the air.

Also have u played AC3, that is best game ever about America for America by America.

6. ISO #56

Quote Originally Posted by MintBerry Crunch View Post
    Seriously though:
    Overall i would say it was good.
    This ended the war and stopped many more deaths on both sides.
    We were firebombing the towns anyway so that was killing everyone, we just use this as a threat to end the war.
    The Japanese had too much pride and would have never given up and let all their people die if this didn't happen.
    Either way civilians were dying this just ended the war and made it a lot less deaths on both parts.
    https://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/...ambitions.html

Read Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    You should be priviledged to experience bestmas.

"waah the screen is shaking, waah my delicate eyes".

Fuck sake.

7. ISO #57

dude, the US sucks. we are an Italy waiting to happen, but this time no ones gonna play Germany, which means our dollar will fail, our government will fail (though it should, such a pos system) and we can finally riot lol. although when that happens we are gonna be fighting our own military, and with such a bloated runaway budget... well lets hope they dont use the big weapons against use civs, but i wouldn't be surprised.

8. ISO #58

Quote Originally Posted by AppleyNO View Post
    this doesnt surprise me one bit, remember when we killed college students protesting the war? or how about the japanese internment camps? ya we all hated the Nazis for it, then we started rounding up. America is like apple, just a big flashy brand name, so those who dont care, dont have to know. we look the part, but we have no money, no natural goods exports, we are a service country and china owns us. they wont ever collect, not at once, cause they know we cant pay. anyway i expect riots within the next 4 years. but hey im armed let do it

Quote Originally Posted by zergling View Post
    Ive been to Germany, Puertorico, texas, georgia, kentucky, PA, michigan, MO and tons of other places for
    U.S is not the best nub
    texas is alright cause you can shoot someone for trespassing. my buddy lives in PA he likes it. MO sucks to humid and no winter
    Last edited by SPARKIMUS PRIME; March 4th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.

9. ISO #59

Quote Originally Posted by SPARKIMUS PRIME View Post
    but we have no money, no natural goods exports, we are a service country
    If you seriously believe that a country with a 3 million square mile area that houses the world's largest economy has no resource exports then you're incredibly uneducated.

The U.S. is the 3rd largest producer of oil and the second largest producer of natural gas, and represents a fifth of the world's manufacturing output (that makes us the largest manufacturer, too). That's before you even get to the service industries or cultural exports (like movies, which are a pretty huge moneymaker, considering that the U.S. has a cultural hegemony on the film industry world-wide). We do roughly $1.5 trillion in exports yearly.

Someone needs to stop getting their talking points from Fox News.

10. ISO #60

Quote Originally Posted by Lysergic View Post
    If you seriously believe that a country with a 3 million square mile area that houses the world's largest economy has no resource exports then you're incredibly uneducated.

The U.S. is the 3rd largest producer of oil and the second largest producer of natural gas, and represents a fifth of the world's manufacturing output (that makes us the largest manufacturer, too). That's before you even get to the service industries or cultural exports (like movies, which are a pretty huge moneymaker, considering that the U.S. has a cultural hegemony on the film industry world-wide). We do roughly $1.5 trillion in exports yearly.

Someone needs to stop getting their talking points from Fox News.
    Nvm, did a bit of research and found that it isn't a combination, but just actual crude.
    Last edited by Cryptonic; March 4th, 2013 at 10:19 AM.

Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

11. ISO #61

12. ISO #62

imo USA is the greatest country because our government asks its people whats wrong, what do you want, how can we make it better. we do this objectively and very often.

sure we screw up some times, but america is great because we look at a problem, see that its there, and we try to fix it or make it better for the people.

right now, were in a hole, we got problems galor, but hell, were working on it, not just ignoring it, were trying new stuff/experimenting and fixing our problems.

how many and which other countries can say that

13. ISO #63

Quote Originally Posted by kyle1234513 View Post
    imo USA is the greatest country because our government asks its people whats wrong, what do you want, how can we make it better. we do this objectively and very often.

sure we screw up some times, but america is great because we look at a problem, see that its there, and we try to fix it or make it better for the people.

right now, were in a hole, we got problems galor, but hell, were working on it, not just ignoring it, were trying new stuff/experimenting and fixing our problems.

how many and which other countries can say that
    lol what has ever been fixed?

i<3cryptonic

14. ISO #64

15. ISO #65

16. ISO #66

the entire 30's?
    airport security
    prevention of kids working in factories
    food and drug act
    everything you just gave, basically every democratic country has those.
    So, I don't understand you saying "how many and which other countries can say that"

17. ISO #67

everything you just gave, basically every democratic country has those.
    So, I don't understand you saying "how many and which other countries can say that"
    but the question is who did it first, and who copied who. in otherwords who came up with the idea and implemented it, and what country is trying to act more like the first country because of how important the idea is.

18. ISO #68

but the question is who did it first, and who copied who. in otherwords who came up with the idea and implemented it, and what country is trying to act more like the first country because of how important the idea is.
    i tihnk the more important question is, who is doing it best.

i<3cryptonic

19. ISO #69

20. ISO #70

21. ISO #71

22. ISO #72

UK abolished Child Labor before USA.
    Then America followed. Then America overturned it, saying it impedes on freedom. Then they brought it back. This was about 50 years after the UK.

Also, European countries have higher airport security than america, and have for a lot longer.

23. ISO #73

but then what caused the second country to do it.

it could go either way here, they might have developed something great on their own. or they might not have.

we need to get to the motives of why the countries are doing what theyre doing

lol but countries aren't following usa, they are doing things differently which is working better for most.

i<3cryptonic

24. ISO #74

I think America would be much better if they ditched the shitty two-party system for a third-party system.
    All you ever see is each side not allowing the other side to do any change because they don't want to see them succeed.

25. ISO #75

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    lol but countries aren't following usa, they are doing things differently which is working better for most.
    i disagree, usa was the first country to be democratic, you can see how many countries are following that.

----------------------------------------------

edit- first *working* democratic country
    Last edited by kyle1234513; March 4th, 2013 at 11:49 AM.

26. ISO #76

i disagree, usa was the first country to be democratic, you can see how many countries are following that.
    LOL?

27. ISO #77

28. ISO #78

29. ISO #79

I think America would be much better if they ditched the shitty two-party system for a third-party system.
    All you ever see is each side not allowing the other side to do any change because they don't want to see them succeed.
    For clarification, you are aware that we do, in fact, have more than 2 parties right? And that just no one listens to the others. I was astounded to find out another Canadian I know REALLY thought that our political party system ended at 2.

failed miserably and didnt last?
    *assumes the USA is going to last much longer*

30. ISO #80

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    For clarification, you are aware that we do, in fact, have more than 2 parties right? And that just no one listens to the others. I was astounded to find out another Canadian I know REALLY thought that our political party system ended at 2.
    umm...
    A two-party system is a system where two major political parties dominate voting in nearly all elections at every level of government and, as a result, all or nearly all elected offices are members of one of the two major parties.

Just because you have more than 2 parties, doesn't mean it's not a 2 party system.

31. ISO #81

umm...
    A two-party system is a system where two major political parties dominate voting in nearly all elections at every level of government and, as a result, all or nearly all elected offices are members of one of the two major parties.

Just because you have more than 2 parties, doesn't mean it's not a 2 party system.
    pretty sure 3rd parties have come extremley close before, because it can though is whats important.

32. ISO #82

umm...

No I know. I just was surprised the other day when my friend believed that there were no more than 2. The way most non-american's say we need to 'ditch the shitty two-party system' makes it sound like they think it is a government mandated 'ONLY TWO PARTIESS!!!!!!!!1!' law, instead of just being a messed up and monopolized process. You are educated. Good. Carry on.

pretty sure 3rd parties have come extremley close before, because it can though is whats important.
    It wasn't always just dominated by 2 parties as it is now, but there have always been 2 front runners. New parties would show up and replace each other. Now we have this.

33. ISO #83