PDA

View Full Version : Arsonist is UP (and other 1.0 thoughts)

McJesus
April 24th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Man I'm addicted to mafia

1) Arsonist is extremly underpowered. I've only seen it actually kill anyone once in the game with Dark Reverant and there everyone in the dead chat went OH SNAP because no one had probably seen arsonist fire before. The problem is luck, in order to pull off arsonist kill sucessfully you have to
-not get killed long enough to burn people
-have your targets not get killed long enough to burn them.
-arsonist has unique description to investigator, unlike sk who could cover himself by saying he is doctor which is one of the most important roles for the town.

It is really hard to win with it because of the delayed killings.

Janitor should know the role that he cleaned up, both games I was janitor were frustrating because I wanted to know who i was covering up but didn't and was paranoid because both times mafia killed the arsonist. Also it allows for much better mafia roleclaiming. If you need to make it an option on the menu at least.

Now for questions...
1) does framer influence the sheriff or only investigators? I was lead to believe that framer setup sheriff to see person as mafia but after stalmate where sheriff said people we framed were clear I'm not sure.
2) If a witch targets an arsonist does that effect if the arsonist douces or burns? Can the witch make arsonist douce someone if he wants to burn? Can a witch make arsonist burn if he wants to douce?

Dark.Revenant
April 24th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Arsonist, if he does survive and picks his douse targets wisely, basically gets a mid-game "I WIN" button. Also, you CAN play with two Arsonists.

Also, the Janitor not figuring out the role is the thing that prevents him from being OP. If you want the role, use a Consigliere.

1. Framer affects both.

2. Witch redirects your primary action. A Witch targeting an Arsonist will force the Arsonist to douse someone, not burn.

McJesus
April 24th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Oh cool, that works in theroy but not so much in pratice but arsonist is pretty epic if they pull off a burn.

So if a witch targeted a survivor or civ and made them target someone else what would happen with their vest? Would they use it on themselves? Interesting...

maybe witch should have a force target no one role ie preventing you from using you ability and sudo roleblocking you.

Deolrin
April 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Implementing a Bus Driver with the same description as Arsonist(something about Gasoline I guess) would be a good idea.

Dark.Revenant
April 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM
You can't voodoo a guy into just... staying put. Also, citizens/survivors are not witchable because thier ability is an on/off thing, not a Target X thing.

McJesus
April 26th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Something I thought of in my first game as spy, it would be cool if the spy could talk in mafia chat just by talking but only show up as spy similar to how mafia names don't show up. Probably wouldn't be in the spys best interest to talk since I've seen games where spy has singlehandedly won because mafia forgot spy was there (LOL). I've also conversly won a game as mafia by faking out the spy. It would be pretty cool is all I'm saying, not sure how it would effect balance.

Secondly I think some of the newer roles need a town loyal role equivalent. You never know if a serial killer is for sure as investigator because owning knives could also mean they are doctor which is probably the worst possible role to lynch from the town's side but if you investigate an arsonist, janitor, framer, or witch you know they are that for sure. Witch could be paired with epicmafia's oracle role but I don't know what arsonist, janitor or framer would be paired with.

Also I'm starting to think night sequence should be changed out for some sort of death descriptions option. I actually kind of like it on the rare occasion it is selected but it never gets selected because everyone playing this game has ADHD and doesn't want anything to take longer than a few seconds.

Another random thing I thought of that might totally throw off the balance of mafia in a game where there is a witch and an arsonist maybe after the arsonist is dead if there are douced and unburned targets give the witch the burn all targets button. Seeing as they are a witch it would be like a mystic power to do and they would have no idea if the button would kill themselves so the witch might be a little hesitant to push it but it could lead to some pretty epic results.

Deolrin
April 26th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Arsonist's could be Bus Driver. I think it was gonna be implemented anyways, no? And it makes sense for Bus Drivers to own lots of gasoline.