PDA

View Full Version : A few comments and ideas.

mcgormack
April 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Hey there,

First, I just wanna mention how this game is great, I've played it way too much during the last few days.

I had played EpicMafia a bit before, of course both games play very different, the SC2 map is a lot more fun though, the custom player names and the last will features are amazing. Anyway, here's some very humble ideas and suggestions :

Dying on Night 1

Obviously, someone has to die first no matter what, but it sucks waiting 5-10 minutes to join the game, for the host to set it up, then not even having a chance to play. It would be a nice feature if dead players could see the roles, and if they could read the night chat, PMs, etc, it's always more entertaining when you know who's lying, who's an idiot and whatnot.

The Conduit idea in the other thread is pretty cool too, it would make the dead players still part of the game somehow. Alternatively, two roles that could be interesting would be :

Priest (Town)
Can resurrect a dead player once. The resurrected player becomes a Citizen.
Mad Scientist (Mafia)
Can resurrect a dead player once. The resurrected player becomes a Mafioso.

When a player is rezzed, a message appears at day ''(Player name) has returned from the dead!''. Of course, the others don't know what's the alignment for the returning player if there's both a MadScientist and Priest alive in the game.

Citizens leaving early (aka shittiest role by far).

At least, Mason can chat during the night, but the Citizen is totally in the dark and doesnt feel like he has that much impact when there's 3-4 power roles already.

An idea would be to give the Citizen more power during the day, whether its through immunity (they can make another player immune to lynching, available once per game) or blocking (they can stop another player from voting). That way, a citizen would also become a more strategic target for mafia, in case there's a 2v2 situation during the day.

Killer notes

Everyone loves the last will, it's hilarious and all. What if the killer could leave a note when he kills someone, the message would be read the following day along with the last will? Serial Killer could frame another player, whatever, that would leave the door open to so many options.

Dark.Revenant
April 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Dead players knowing everything 1. Makes them have even less reason to stay to see how the game goes and 2. makes it piss easy for them to go on voice chat and just fuck the whole game up.

Citizens are not supposed to have power. Giving them so many abilities will cause my map to be rejected by many mafia diehards.

Omgproberush
April 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
People don't get that not everyone can be an uber power role in the game. It throws it out of whack. Citizens already have the option to wear BP vests. At least people are figuring out Masons can be pretty damn powerful when it comes to lynching and are not quitting out as much when getting them.

Miss the good old days where I played it as a party game as a kid in my youth group, and people were fine with a doctor, a sheriff, and a bunch of mafia/citizens.....now people aren't happy if they aren't a strong power role.

Dark.Revenant
April 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I learned about mafia in the 6th grade when a group of my friends randomly played it. Good times.

mcgormack
April 22nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
People don't get that not everyone can be an uber power role in the game. It throws it out of whack. Citizens already have the option to wear BP vests. At least people are figuring out Masons can be pretty damn powerful when it comes to lynching and are not quitting out as much when getting them.

Miss the good old days where I played it as a party game as a kid in my youth group, and people were fine with a doctor, a sheriff, and a bunch of mafia/citizens.....now people aren't happy if they aren't a strong power role.

I'll have to compare with EpicMafia here, but for some reason, being Blue in EpicMafia doesnt bother me nearly as much as being Citizen in this map.

I think it's mostly because 1- In Epic Mafia, Blues are often a majority, while there's usually one or two Citizen max when people host games in SC2. This makes the Citizen kind of a useless sheep sitting in the corner, following what everyone else claims to have found.

2- This game have more players in general than EpicMafia (14 instead of 8 ), so Citizen don't seem to have any impact when it comes to leading the votes until the very end, and have 0 impact during night. But yeah, the problem here might be that hosts tend to add too many power roles, but good luck convincing anyone to play with 4-5 Citizens.

Either way, I think there should be an activable option to add something to Citizen, even if it's just being able to visit someone during the night (and knowing whos the killer if that person gets killed or whatever).

Deolrin
April 23rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
Citizens are useful because they can screw with Investigators and Sheriffs, who find both Godfathers and Citizens completely innocent.

Keifru
April 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
2- This game have more players in general than EpicMafia (14 instead of 8 ), so Citizen don't seem to have any impact when it comes to leading the votes until the very end, and have 0 impact during night. But yeah, the problem here might be that hosts tend to add too many power roles, but good luck convincing anyone to play with 4-5 Citizens.

Player Number != Role Weakness
Thing is a lot of people don't want to be 'useless' at night.

Either way, I think there should be an activable option to add something to Citizen, even if it's just being able to visit someone during the night (and knowing whos the killer if that person gets killed or whatever).

Instantly makes Tracker/Watcher that much more useless.

Citizens are useful because they can screw with Investigators and Sheriffs, who find both Godfathers and Citizens completely innocent.

Blue Ranger (Citizen) is the most powerful role possible in the game of Mafia, in the hands of a good player.