PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Peace [Puzzle]

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I remember this was a problem given to me by a software company I solved with a team

You must get a complex family to cross a river. The family consists of

-Father
-Mother
-Servant
-Daughter 1
-Daugther 2
-Son 1
-Son 2
-Dog

However, there are some complications in this family as with others and certain conditions

- The father will beat the daughters when the mother is not around
- The mother will beat the sons when the father is not around
- The dog will bite everyone when the servant is not around
- The boat can only hold two people
- Only the Mother, Father and Servant can row the boat

How will you keep the peace, and bring everyone safely across?

Post your answers in spoilers, and I will proceed to tell you if it is correct. You can look at people's spoilers if you want, or even discuss it.

Do not look at Grim-Demon's last post.It is the answer and will spoil it for you

GriM-DeMoN
May 12th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Send them all across the river at the same time
You havn't said how many people can be on the boat at the same time.

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 10:55 PM
how many people can be brought over at once?

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Ok... the boat can only hold two people. I assumed that most people are familiar with the Rabbit, Fox and Carrot puzzle. I apologize for that oversight.

Dust
May 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Ok... the boat can only hold two people. I assumed that most people are familiar with the Rabbit, Fox and Carrot puzzle. I apologize for that oversight.

two people including yourself?

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM
sorry didnt spoiler it

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:01 PM
the sons one by one.... then the father... then the mother then the daughters one by one... then the servant then the dog? and this is going one by one... but that should work?

FAWK why does spoiler never work for me... what am I doing wrong?

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Two people, which include the steerer, and the person going across.

You are just God controlling the sims you don't need space on the boats XD.

Only the father, mother and servant know how to row the boat. ^^

GriM-DeMoN
May 12th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm going to work this out soon.
1 thing can the dad be on the boat with the daughters.

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Very obviously not. ^^

Like I said before, this is a team effort puzzle. Unless you're very good... U will usually have certain mental sets which will block you. It happened for me too actually.

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM
this seems impossible to me... because if the father brings the son one is left behind... the father cant bring a daughter or the dog... if he brings the mother over neither of them can go back alone, and he cant bring the servant over... the mother has the same problem... the servant cant bring anyone over but the dog first... then when he goes back he will have to grab a parent so he can stay with the dog on the other side for when the parents bring the kids over... which will leave the children alone with the other parent... if this really has an answer I'm intrigued, but it sounds like your leaving something out or not telling it right?

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:11 PM
is the boat a battleship?... is intimidation a factor?

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM
LOL... no u may not knock out any of them or anything like that XD.

HINT: Think about The Rabbit, Fox and Carrot puzzle. It's like a more complex version. Those who play solitaire and win often will understand what I mean. Stuff like tower of Hanoi also. I'm giving big hints here.

And it's not impossible to do it... cause I solved it with my group... it's just tedious ;)

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I understand... if you can see from lateral thinking I just solved one of these.... what I am saying is around the parameters of the rules, this doesnt make sense... I just listed out every action that you can do and none of them work?

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:17 PM
is being on a boat considered not being alone with that person?... only thing I can come up with

GriM-DeMoN
May 12th, 2012, 11:18 PM
This is not impossible I'm having trouble working it out atm. But I'm almost there it is Possible

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 11:21 PM
No it counts as being alone... Eliminate the steps that will cause an illegal state. And think about the legal moves and where to go from there ^^.

GriM-DeMoN
May 12th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Can you please give the first person to give it Reputation.
The star bellow your number of posts.

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Father: Cannot bring son, daughter, mother, servant, or dog

Mother: Cannot bring son, daughter, father, servant, or dog

Servant: Cannot bring anything BUT dog, but once dog is on other side he cant bring over anyone but a parent so he can stay behind with the dog. and he cant bring either parent because the other will be left with the kids...

explain to me where theres a logical explanation?

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I can promise that... but I guess this will stop people from sharing answers. You can discuss the stuff here.

As for you Blazyalot, My hint to you is this. Sometimes in Solitaire, you actually need to pull stuff you put into the stack back down so you can open more opportunites. I've been so direct already XD. Maybe if you are not used to this... You should try playing 'Unblock This'.

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM
servant brings dog over... gos back and grabs son... on the way back grabs dog... brings dog back and father brings other son over... father comes back grabs mother... brings her over, father stays... mother goes and grabs father and brings em back to sons... then she comes back gives it too servant who brings over the dog... then gives the boat to father... who grabs mother and brings her over... gives the ship to the mother who procedes to divorce the father and stay on the other side of the island with the 2 daughters?

Gingerape
May 12th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Neat, looks like you get a rep point

GriM-DeMoN
May 12th, 2012, 11:38 PM
No won't work because the dog is alone with the Son.

Gingerape
May 12th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I already gave him the delicious rep point :3

GriM-DeMoN
May 12th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I'm almost there soon I will have rep.
But he did not get it right.

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:46 PM
no if you bring the dog over... then bring a son over and grab the dog... to bring it back they are not alone together... and if they are then this makes even less sense then it did to begin with xD

btw thx gingersnaps, your a sweetheart ;)

GriM-DeMoN
May 12th, 2012, 11:55 PM
-Father
-Mother
-Servant
-Daughter 1
-Daugther 2
-Son 1
-Son 2
-Dog

I got it right iv hidden it though.

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 11:57 PM
no if mother leaves daughter one on other side she will be alone with father... FYI you said the exact same thing as I did... and I get stuck when its the mother and 2 daughters on the other side...I would really like to know the answer

GriM-DeMoN
May 13th, 2012, 12:37 AM
-Father
-Mother
-Servant
-Daughter 1
-Daugther 2
-Son 1
-Son 2
-Dog

-Servant and Dog goes across
-Servant goes back
-Servant and Son 1 goes across
-Servant and Dog goes back
-Father and Son 2 Goes across
-Father goes back
-Mother and Father goes across
-Mother goes back
- Servant and Dog goes across
- Father goes back
- Mother and Father goes across
- Mother goes back
-Mother and Daughter 1 goes across
- Servent and Dog goes back
- Servent and Daughter 2 goes across
-Servent goes back
-Servent and Dog goes across

Omg so fucken happy spent a hour working this out and finally got it.

I finally got it.

JSaint
May 13th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Edit : Anyhow, Grimm Demon is correct. Do not peek though you are tempted! I have a given you a rep point... though it does not seem to show Anyhow, I request that you remove it since Sir Blazylot is still trying ^^.

Yes, the problem that Blazylot said exists

The state will be:

Side 1:

Son 2
Servant Dog

Side 2:
(Boat)
Father Mother
Son 1 Daughter 1
Daughter 2

Bringing the father back will cause the Son to be abused by the mother.

Well, This was the part that stumped me for awhile too.

It took me about 2 hours this part to solve it by myself and not in the team. And another half an hour today as I tried to recall the solution.

The person that designed this puzzle was particularly clever because it was designed to go against how the human brain usually works, much like devil level sudokus. Let me give you another hint.

It has to do with mental sets. Where you just use the same way to solve problems after learning that they work. You are getting ALOT more help than I did, although I had a team with me.

Duzero
May 13th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Didn't read the thread since you said it contained spoilers, so I dunno if I'm breaking any rules here but this is my take on it.

You say the boat can only hold 2 people. And I don't count a dog as "people", don't know if he swims beside or if he sits in the servants lap or whatever. But he doesn't take up space.
If the servant and the dog is on the boat there is still room for one more person. So they will stay on the boat all the time.

First they ferry over one son at a time.
Then the father.
Then the mother.
Then the 2 daughters one at a time.
Then they step off at the other side too.

Am I right or is going against the rules cheating? :P

Edit: After I posted I peeked and saw that I had cheated, wasn't as easy as I thought ^^

JSaint
May 13th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Haha... not quite...

Basically the problem is that there's no fixed chaffeur for the boat.

And no... The dog cannot be on the servant's lap, although I admit it is a creative solution =).