PDA

View Full Version : Fine you think your smart try this one...

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Your trying to get to the store before it closes, you come to a fork in the road. One ways the short way one ways the long way, but you can't remember which is which. There are 2 brothers, one always lies and one always tells the truth, but you don't know which ones which. They are standing at the fork in the road and they both know which way to go, but you only have time to ask one question. What is the question you ask to find out the right way to go?

Dust
May 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM
"Which road would your brother tell me is the short road?"

Take the road that isn't the answer

SirBlayzalot
May 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion your googling these xD

Dust
May 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I'm not. I toss these around friends. I've heard variations on this riddle. It took me a car ride to figure it out.

JSaint
May 12th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Did I just see you google that... Agent Fury?

Dust
May 12th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Did I just see you google that... Dr Nick Fury?

Come now, I've seen quite a few of these riddles. They're really fun to try to figure them out using the expressions of my friends.

Fatalis
June 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I heard of the variations where there are 2 guards and 2 doors in a death chamber

Bruno
June 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM
The answer is simply. Pull out a gun, hold it to one of their heads, and only say this.

"If you do not truthfully say which path is the shortest, your brother dies."

Simple

EagleMan
June 24th, 2012, 11:31 PM
So I don't know how I already know that they're brothers, but since it's a given, and they weren't stated as identical brothers, and apparently I know them enough to know that one brother always tells the truth and the other always lies, so I'll just ask the guy who said he's the other's brother (because the liar will say he isn't a brother, and given the level of knowledge I already have I already know which brother is the truthful one) which way I should go.

Riddle so easy, you gave out too much starting information. No mind games, WIFOM, or weirdly worded questions. I already had everything I needed to just ask the question plainly and move on. Clearly you did not think this through. Do not get your riddles from Google.

Or you can just ask "What would the other brother say is the correct road?" Lying brother will point out the long path, honest brother will point out the long path, so you go the other path.

Duzero
June 25th, 2012, 12:48 AM
The answer is simply. Pull out a gun, hold it to one of their heads, and only say this.

"If you do not truthfully say which path is the shortest, your brother dies."

Simple

Always so practical ^^

Phyr
June 25th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Variation time!
At the fork you notice that only one of the brothers is there. But you still need to find the short route. HURRY!

Duzero
June 25th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Variation time!
At the fork you notice that only one of the brothers is there. But you still need to find the short route. HURRY!

I'll just use my pocket-sized lie detector

SirBlayzalot
June 25th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Eagleman... they don't say anything to you about being brothers... it's just a guess that they are brothers, because they are both sucking on the same older womans teet... you only get one question... you got it right... jus fyi ;)

Cryptonic
June 25th, 2012, 07:53 AM
You say, Which of these THREE paths will get me to the location the fastest?

The liar will point the direction you came from.

Duzero
June 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM

xD

creedkingsx
June 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
There is a harder version of this one
Same deal, except it is 3 brothers, or people, at the fork in the road. One truth, One lie, One limbo (will tell either/or).
You get 2 questions. lol

Phyr
June 25th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Limbo means that it is random if he lies or not? Or will he do the one or the other only, but we don't know which one it is?

btw no right answer for my variant, yet.

edit: I got it. But it uses the solution of my variant :)

creedkingsx
June 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Your variation is like mine, but just the Limbo.
Yeah, limbo is either or. But it could be either or on either question.
Edit: I think you can ask all three at the same time.

Goremancer
June 25th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Ez. you just grab the fork and eat your lunch with it.

Duzero
June 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Ez. you just grab the fork and eat your lunch with it.

Gorelogic never fails :D

creedkingsx
June 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Gorelogic never fails :D

It's a unique sort of logic. :o

Lysergic
June 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Oh; the answer is something about David Bowie and juggling babies, right?

Cryptonic
June 25th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Oh; the answer is something about David Bowie and juggling babies, right?

Correct!
Question 1: "Which one of you three can out-juggle David Bowie using babies?"
The truth teller won't point to anybody, because we all know David Bowie is king at juggling babies.
Question 2: "Which was is the right way?"
and you follow the truth teller

Phyr
June 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Nah, you can do it with two question and only adress one of them for each. If you can ask all of them at the same time then one question is enough.

clementine
June 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Cryptonic's answer isn't right?

Cryptonic
June 25th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I think he meant my answer about Challenging David Bowie to a baby juggling contest or w.e nonsense i said :)

Phyr
June 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM
What would you tell me, if I asked you what the shortest way to the store is?

Ask the first question to any of them.
Question 1: Who of the other two would you point to, if I asked you to point out one of the others who is either always telling the truth or always lying?
Proceed to ask second question to the one pointed out.
Question 2: What would you tell me, if I asked you what the shortest way to the store is?