PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Night Sequence...

Faceless
April 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Night Sequence, in my opinion, is a good thing. Adds some scariness to the game when your screen starts flashing red and you're disemboweled by a crazy serial killer, and always tells you how people died the following day.

Now, a lot of people don't like the first half of that. The night part where people get stabbed and it sounds like an angry mob is ravaging the town. Whether it be due to unmedicated ADHD or severe impatience problems doesn't matter to me-- I can see why they wouldn't enjoy it. Some people want a quick game and just can't wait to click on someone's name the next day. I have no problem with that, and I don't mind turning night sequence off.

HOWEVER... with it off, you're no longer provided descriptions of how people died. The descriptions (to me) are pretty essential to how I play the match. If I see the vigilante killing off a sheriff and a doctor, he's either backstabbing or an idiot. If I see someone die the night after accusing the mafia, and he was "riddled with bullets at close range", then I know that his accusations were correct. If I see an investigator die after accusing some guy of having a knife collection-- well, you get the point.

I think the death descriptions are a hugely important thing, and should be in the game WITH or WITHOUT the rest of the night sequence. Therefore, I suggest making it so death descriptions are always active regardless of whether or not night sequence is activated. That way, everyone wins. Impatient people can still feel the thrill of clicking player names really fast, and I still have important information on how people died and who they died to.

Pretty please, DR?

Dark.Revenant
April 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
You can't have your cake and eat it, unfortunately.

The whole point of removing those descriptions was to make the game more authentic. In almost every other rendition of Mafia, the method of death is never revealed to the players.

Faceless
April 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Well can we find a middle ground or a compromise? Like... maybe have another option that leaves descriptions on but turns night sequence off? I really really like the descriptions, but people don't like the waiting involved with listening to the town be murdered.

JustDK
April 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM
yeah what DR said. i dont like the description being revealed either. like sometimes it could be 2 sk, but because a vigil shot and an sk got rbed, the the sk can still survive. it causes alot more chaos if you have noob vigils.

Eldrazor
April 21st, 2011, 01:48 AM
The option to have descriptions on/off seems to be the best solution to me.
Sure, in almost every other rendition of Mafia you don't know what killed who, but we do know when night sequence is on. You'd better just remove the description anyways, in that case.

Faceless
April 21st, 2011, 08:45 AM
We don't really HAVE to stay true to the original Mafia. If something can be improved (like death descriptions) then I don't see why it shouldn't be improved.

My friends and I find it more fun with descriptions on, anyway.

Dark.Revenant
April 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Oh great, now I have to change yet another fucking thing in the options screen, delaying this update even further. I've been working on this motherfucker for nearly 4 days.

Gintama
April 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
i rather you get the update out than have it delayed because of descriptions.

Clawtrocity
April 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM
This is something that should go on a "Maybe someday when I'm not working on anything I can add this in" list.

Take your time and do smaller more frequent updates and anything that could slow you down just add to a list for another time.