PDA

View Full Version : The Site Looks Bad

Dark.Revenant
June 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
This happened when I "updated" the forum, today. To do so I had to remove the themes and mods.

So, the stability and security is better. However, a bunch of features are now lost and the site looks like utter ass. None of the themes available right now look anywhere near decent.

So the question is in the poll.

Lysergic
June 16th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Is "replace forums with phpBB3 and save your money since we all respect the hell out of the amount of time and effort you've already put into mafia" an option?

Dark.Revenant
June 16th, 2011, 11:24 PM
phpBB3 is pretty much the same thing, really.

Lysergic
June 16th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I personally think it looks nicer (especially default theme) but it's a personal preference thing. And vBulletin is incredibly pretty, but I just feel bad knowing you're springing for stuff for the site given the recent situation. Maybe I should donate or something. xD

Also, there seems to be a problem with line breaks on the updated forums. >.>

Dark.Revenant
June 16th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I see no problems. What are you referring to?

Lysergic
June 17th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I see no problems. What are you referring to?

If I type a reply longer than the chatbox, the text scrolls outside of the box instead of line-breaking. If I then manually line break with enter, I can't get back to the text outside of the box. Screenshot enclosed:

Step 1:
http://i54.tinypic.com/332xrtu.png

Now with a line break:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j0z2wo.png

And yet I can't select text to scroll back over to see-select text that goes beyond the boundary of the box:
http://i55.tinypic.com/w0n703.png

TheJackofSpades
June 17th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I personally like the new look, but the text box is definitely screwy. You can even visually tell it is, since at least on firefox it extends to the very edge of the screen

Dark.Revenant
June 17th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Delete browser cache. That's a local problem and doesnt happen to me even on Firefox.

Lysergic
June 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Delete browser cache. That's a local problem and doesnt happen to me even on Firefox.

Dx

B.... but... Then I'd have to re-log into all of my stuff...

FalseTruth
June 17th, 2011, 02:11 AM
@ Lysergic, I don't seem to have that problem, so I'm guessing its unique to you.

@DR I suggest you cycle through whichever themes you think are best and poll the community on which one they like the best. Don't waste your money on this design look. Either way, I'm sure someone who plays mafia would be smart enough to do this for you for free.

Rumpel1408
June 17th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I got the same Problem as Lyseric with Firefox.
However with Quick Reply everything is fine, so I gues im going to use this or manuelly line breaks as often as I need.

And I don't think DR should pay just for some styles, true beauty comes from the inside^^

Yayap
June 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
So since my post count was too low to play the forum mafia game, I guess I'll add my 2 cents to get it up a bit.

Considering that I've seen much worse, I don't mind the look of the forums right now. And since only about a dozen members have over 100 posts, I don't really see the need to put in much money on the forums, I think your money could be used in better places other than making the forums look good at the moment.

I from what I see in the posts so far, the others don't seem to mind the forums either.

CyanBlade
June 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I hate you DR! I was wait so long for my role! then i checked the sight:messages (1)
Me: ooo!ooo!ooo! *click*
Sight: the council is reconstructing it's self
Me: !@#$%^&*(@!@#$%^&*(@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*(

Lysergic
June 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I didn't get the "reconstructing itself" PM. :'(

Why do you hate me DR?

Dx

TheJackofSpades
June 17th, 2011, 10:36 AM
He means it displayed it visually to him when he tried to access his messages. Same thing happened to me. Wasn't a pm.

oops_ur_dead
June 17th, 2011, 01:02 PM
What the fuck is this shit.
I nearly vomited.
Where's the "Get a real forum software (phpBB3) (free)" option?

Dark.Revenant
June 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
As I said before, both forum software are nearly identical.

oops_ur_dead
June 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM
The key difference being that one is shit and the other isn't.

Dark.Revenant
June 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you for agreeing with me. phpBB is indeed shit while SMF isn't.

styx0202
June 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
i think it looks better than it was, dark-ish theme nice

SurgeonFish
June 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM
site looks fine

Membrax
June 18th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I got the same Problem as Lyseric with Firefox.
However with Quick Reply everything is fine, so I gues im going to use this or manuelly line breaks as often as I need.

And I don't think DR should pay just for some styles, true beauty comes from the inside^^

I've the same issue with Google Chrome...

Styx
June 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM
DRs suggestion fixed it perfectly for me, if you're having the issue delete your browser cache.

Zack
June 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I'm on Chrome, no problems here.

Also, I say don't spend money on this DR, even if the forum looks generic and fugly right now, we'l survive, heh.

McJesus
June 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM
honestly i like the old one better but this isn't so bad. I could live with it so don't go wasting away your budjet over a forum.

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
June 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Let's add some candles to this site and change the domain to darkreverendsmitherson.deathdie

Lysergic
June 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
DRs suggestion fixed it perfectly for me, if you're having the issue delete your browser cache.

This.

Works fine for me now.

NorthStar
July 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
It's fine, but the hacking thing made me slightly paranoid.

Auckmid
July 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I think that the sight dosnt look that bad, and because your doing this preaty much for free, I dont think that you should spend any money makeing the sight look better.

Graham
July 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
My thoughts

1. I just started playing mafia, like a couple of weeks ago. Just broken 1k points tonight. I actually thought this forum is okay. I used many forums over a decade, and I'd say this is average. Doesn't hurt my eyes, nothing fancy and it do what a forum should do, with clear quick edit, last edit time stamp, being able to use rich text, etc.

2. If the metagame Mafia will fail because of the 'average' or 'crappy' forum theme... it was doomed anyway.

3. Only concern of mine is security/redundancies. This area well-covered? A minimum would be having a weekly backup, at LEAST. Preferably daily though

TL;DR: This style is fine. Keep up the good work, DR