PDA

View Full Version : [Role Suggestion] Arms Dealer

Kromos
March 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Role Name: Arms Dealer

Alignment: Evil Neutral

Win Condition: See the town dead. Does not need to survive.

Game Size(s): FM / M-FM / S-FM

Abilities: Can give someone a gun and/or armour at night, decided by the host.

Additional Notes: Inspired by FalseTruth's M-FM, the arms dealer wants to give his guns and armour to scum so that they can use them against town. He does not know who the scum are and he could end up helping town greatly instead. If he gives guns to scum there is a chance he will be killed by his own guns. He could also give guns to bloodthirsty players who might use them rashly to kill town. Armoursmiths, gunsmiths and blacksmiths can no longer claim with impunity. Giving both armour and guns makes him more versatile when helping the mafia and allows him to claim either town role.

One Sentence Summary: An evil blacksmith.

Goremancer
March 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Does he deal bear arms too?

Blazer
March 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Me like.

TheJackofSpades
March 17th, 2012, 01:08 PM
It could work I guess, though it needs to require survival in it's win condition. Evil aligned neutrals who don't are not good for game balance.

Changing it will help add more skill to the role, as it will motivate you to actually think about where you're giving guns when they could easily be turned back against you if you're not careful.

I am not a fan of multi-action roles, as I feel niche roles bring a lot more overarching strategy to the game.

CmG
March 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
hi jimbo

Kromos
March 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
It could work I guess, though it needs to require survival in it's win condition. Evil aligned neutrals who don't are not good for game balance.

Changing it will help add more skill to the role, as it will motivate you to actually think about where you're giving guns when they could easily be turned back against you if you're not careful.

I am not a fan of multi-action roles, as I feel niche roles bring a lot more overarching strategy to the game.

If he has to survive then he will almost surely lose like all evil neutrals usually do. I don't like that a witch could get random killed on night 1 and lose the game through no fault of their own. If everyone could stop themselves being killed so easily you would see a lot less PR deaths but as it is I think a survive objective would be much too hard for the player. At least town and mafia would be able to win with their team if they get killed off early. I don't know why it is bad for game balance as unlike an executioner who has won he still needs to continue playing the game until the town are dead. He has the same objective as the mafia, except he can side with killing neutrals. I don't why him having to survive to win would change how he plays much. He still wants to prevent himself being killed as he can be a powerful ally to scum and if he is killed his victory will now be out of his hands.

I've always thought that neutrals were put in just because of game balance and/or an extra night kill and the hosts never expected them to win. What chance does an sk have compared to a mafia team? The godfather is the same as the SK and he has other players with different abilities to help him and win for him if he dies. If the neutral doesn't have to survive then he at least has some chance of winning, even if this is unlikely because of the statistical likelihood of a town or cult win.

I thought about him only giving guns but I also like the versatility of him giving both especially when it comes to role claims as the arms dealer is meant to provide a counter to the currently very easy claims made by armoursmiths and gunsmiths (drug dealer who chooses his drugs could somewhat do the same thing but without any real effects). I think it would be best for the host to choose what an arms dealer could give out on a game by game basis. In M-FMs a duel role might be preferred because of the lower player count but in FMs with possible multiple arms dealers there is the chance that each could give out a different item.