PDA

View Full Version : (Role Suggestion) Terrorist

GriM-DeMoN
February 28th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Role name:Terrorist
Description:You are a Unsuccessful Bomber who only knows who to bomb peoples Chat.
Abilities: Choose one person at night to Plant a bomb on
Take no Action which will Dufuse a bomb planted on you
Blow up all your bombs
Special Abilities: You are Immune at night
Your target will not know he has been planted with a bomb
You are immune to detection
Immune roles can be Bombed
Goal: Survive the hole game and Successfully bomb 1 peoples chat. Every Extra bomb increases your points.
Sheriff Report: Not Suspicious
Investigator Report: Citizen or Something Sinister
Alignment : Neutral
Level : Advance
Type : Benign

You do not care who wins

Host Options: Immune at Night On/Off
Immune to detectiion On/Off
Target knows he has been planted On/Off

Intended Purpose: I Reckon we need some more neutrals that is why i came up with this
This role is like arsonist you Plant people with bombs. You must bomb 4 people to win. Once you choose to Let off your bombs. Everyone that got bombed can not see there chat. But they can still talk to let people know they have been Bombed. The bombing can be removed by Doctors. Bombing last 3 days

What does everyone think about this role

Luna
March 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'll skip over the semantics (how exactly does one 'blow up' a chat? why would a Terrorist do such a thing? how can a Doctor 'heal' a chat that has been blown up?) and look at the role mechanics itself.

It is difficult to design a role which isn't centred around the core victory conditions; see scum dead, see town dead, survive to the end of the game.

The Jester and Executioner work because they are kept simple, and their actions have an effect on the Town - if either role fulfils their victory condition it is bad news.

Now this Terrorist role. Your victory condition is fairly weak. In fact, I'd say this is just an overpowered Survivor - a Survivor with full night immunity and alternate blackmail power, who doesn't even need to survive until the end of the game to win.

The rule of thumb should generally be that a role's night actions help them to secure their overall victory condition. The night action should not be successful use of the ability itself. This is also a highly disruptive role which doesn't help anyone - the bomber is a benign neutral, so there's no accountability. No one can deduce anything from the Terrorist's actions, and the Terrorist has pretty much no need to use his bombs in a tactical manner. At the very least, this role could have been a Mafia or Evil Neutral role, but once again, there's little point to it.

It's also impossible to implement in most setups. How can you stop someone viewing a thread?

The only way this would work is if it was in a large FM setup with anonymous accounts where the FM Game Master can restrict the permission of the account. You are then reliant on the host being online so you can PM him what you'd like to say in the chat.

Also a bombing has less impact than a blackmail - people can still share what they did or what happened to them at night, and they can still vote, they just can't see anything. So you can't even bomb the person that can out you, because they can follow through with it anyway.

So this is just an impossible/highly difficult role to implement, it lacks direction, and its abilities have no bearing on its victory condition (aside from the fact it has to be used a certain amount of times). Immune to detection and immune at night? Wins in three days? Is an annoyance but not actively against anyone?

The template for role suggestions in this forum is there for a reason, it motivates you to think about the implications of your role and how well it synergizes with other roles in the game.

Goremancer
March 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Don't slap him too hard Luna :(

Luna
March 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
He asked me about the roles, I felt obligated to give some unbiased feedback. No slapping, just the painful truth of a role suggestions thread (I bloodied myself in those trenches back on the old COM forum, they'll build character! xD)