PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Channel Players

Lysergic
June 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Is it just me, or is the quality of channel players dropping BY A LOT?

I've seen some epically stupid things tonight. Outside of a select group of people, I really don't like in house games anymore. Like, the game I just played might as well have been a public game. That's how bad the levels of epic stupidity were.

I don't get it. Why did all the good people I was playing with earlier tonight have to log off? Dx

FalseTruth
June 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I laughed when I saw this. I totally agree with you.

I was thinking about making another secret channel called mafia2 or something where DR, Goon, and Claw, etc can tell good players to go onto for better games.

Honestly, that's the only solution imo.

Lysergic
June 12th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I agree with that idea. xD

Invite-only channel.

TheJackofSpades
June 12th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I had a guy try and convince me that I was a terrible pub who had 0 victories(which was true, because i haven't played much since that was added). I then proceeded to successfully lynch a known invest late into the game as exe, and secure a win for the arsonist.

So yeah, I pretty much agree with you.

McJesus
June 12th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Is it just me or does the mafia chat channel have a completly elitist attitude? Anything goes against the way they see things and OMFG HE IS A PUB! BURN THE FUCKING WITCH!

I hate to break it to you but the skill level between you and an average player isn't that great because there really isn't that much of a skill ceiling to this game. I'm not saying it isn't a good game just that it is too luck based and based on other peoples perceptions to really be able to get that good at it. The key is to have fun and not be so damn arrogant

Lysergic
June 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I disagree on the skill thing; I think there's a huge skill factor involved. And honestly, there's very little random chance. The thing I'm complaining about is the propensity for really stupid "beginner" mistakes that seems to be turning into a regular thing for channel games. E.g. an investigator checking someone, seeing that gas is involved, and instantly lynching, when a bus driver comes forward and says that they switched the person in question. Or when a framer claims that he was framed to look like a framer, when that's impossible given the game mechanics. Those examples both happened in a single game tonight, and it was an entirely in-house game. There is DEFINITELY skill involved, and the average skill level of channel players seems to have dropped in my opinion.

I mean, I still have fun playing and try to keep a good attitude. It's just frustrating to have to deal with beginner mistakes like that, when I'm used to playing with people who have a thorough understanding of the game mechanics.

Dark.Revenant
June 12th, 2011, 11:43 PM
It might simply be because the finer points are hard to find (memorizing the tutorials page is not easy).

McJesus
June 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I disagree on the skill thing; I think there's a huge skill factor involved. And honestly, there's very little random chance. The thing I'm complaining about is the propensity for really stupid "beginner" mistakes that seems to be turning into a regular thing for channel games. E.g. an investigator checking someone, seeing that gas is involved, and instantly lynching, when a bus driver comes forward and says that they switched the person in question. Or when a framer claims that he was framed to look like a framer, when that's impossible given the game mechanics. Those examples both happened in a single game tonight, and it was an entirely in-house game. There is DEFINITELY skill involved, and the average skill level of channel players seems to have dropped in my opinion.

I mean, I still have fun playing and try to keep a good attitude. It's just frustrating to have to deal with beginner mistakes like that, when I'm used to playing with people who have a thorough understanding of the game mechanics.

does not compute

As for those mistakes DR made that change to have 50% of people douced be suspicous without actually telling anyone and it was only picked up on the wiki. Mafia is on the first page of the custom starcraft games list, not everyone reads the wiki. That really needs to be fixed.

Wait what is wrong with the bus driver thing? Not exactly like bus driver is a high priority target, I mean they come after doctors, sheriffs, investigators, bodyguards in terms of people the mafia would like to kill. Bus driver is a reverse witch and is really a fun role if it is fairly obvious who the mafia is going to kill. Not following you on this one, I guess it depends on what the question is?

The framer thing is stupid but you can't really claim anything else since framer is a role without any equivalent (according to the wiki at the moment). DR keeps changing the eqivalent roles so it is hard to keep up. That is a perfectly legitimate defence if the sheriff is accusing though.

McJesus
June 13th, 2011, 09:10 AM
My point is the skill involved in mafia is just basic math. In order to be half decent at the game you have to...
1) check the tutorial for the settings of the particular game
2) be able to subtract the role list from the graveyard including randoms to figure out which claims are possible and impossible. Basic math is so hard
3) be able to check the log
4) know how your role works
and if you are an evil role:
5) be good at quick on the spot bullshitting
6) know who is likely going to be healed by a doctor

It takes mad skills to do all those, you have to have like 120 apm at least and do hours upon hours of training in order to master.

the rest of the stragety aspects are very arguable and left up to chance. For example if I'm a doctor I will heal an important target the first night he reveals but after that heal someone else because the evil roles know he is being healed. It is a bluff that could bite me in the ass but a risk I am willing to take because of the way the metagame works it is assumed the doctors are pinned to healing that target. That is a very grey area of stragety that you could argue is very good or very noobish.

Clawtrocity
June 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
It's more about this invansion of hosts that want it their way...Remember back in the day when if you didn't make it DR's Choice everyone left? Now if it's not the exact way someone else likes it all they do is complain and troll because "it doesn't matter this host sucks" So then they play a game where no one is an elitist douchebag and all the sudden things his gametype is the end all be all of gametypes.

I'm not gonna point any names out, but I'm one of the most hated people in the channel because apparently I'm just a giant troll. I've started only playing Pub games unless they use DR's choice or Mafia variant in the in house. It's less about the people playing the game and more about the attitude of being the one making the game. That and the fact that at the end of every channel game I've played not one person says gg unless they are spamming it. Everyone is a condescending asshole that just gloats about winning.

I don't think it's about the skill or the win/loss ratio of the players that matter it's the cocky attitude, belligerence(Is that even a word?), and general trolly-ness. I have half the channel blocked because of how obnoxious they are...Maybe one day the channel will get better or we can just migrate to a new channel that's hopefully more peaceful and less racist.

CyanBlade
June 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM
ever heard of black and whigh lists? whigh list all the good players, black list all the bad ones. And everyone has an off game/day one time i was palying an fps called shadowrun and i forgot my team and team killed everyone, i got kicked of course :P

someguy
June 17th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I made this account here for the sole purpose of posting in this thread. I was a long time player, doing channel games almost exclusively but then I took about little less than a month hiatus and now that I've come back the map is almost unplayable just due to the quality of pubbie and unfortunately channel games.

If there is going to be some sort of whitelist or password protected channel please include me. I don't want to give my b.net name here, but I am a donor and DR can vouch for that. Whoever I need to talk to for this, PM me here and I'll give my B.Net info.

Inca_Killa
June 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM
blahblahblah(snipped for space)

I'm not gonna point any names out, but I'm one of the most hated people in the channel because apparently I'm just a giant troll. I've started only playing Pub games unless they use DR's choice or Mafia variant in the in house. It's less about the people playing the game and more about the attitude of being the one making the game. That and the fact that at the end of every channel game I've played not one person says gg unless they are spamming it. Everyone is a condescending asshole that just gloats about winning.

blahblahblah(snipped for space)

If you leave once mode is picked its the same thing as leaving because you are a citizen. Sorry man, trolling a game is still the same thing through and through.

However, on the same note, I would love to try the mafia variant if its what I read about but never got the chance.

If there's going to be a 2nd channel i'd like to prove myself in a game or two sometime, possibly after a while because i'm going to be gone a month on vacation very soon. IDK how much i'll get to play mafia while on it.