PDA

View Full Version : Learn To Use The PM System

Trenix
April 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM
The PM system has been destroyed since latest patch. Was a good feature while it lasted. Well that of course, is my opinion.

I'm sick of people saying the pm system sucks, it's unfair, and so on. So I'mma break down the common stupidity to inform the stupid. By the way, PM stands for private message.

Commands

-pm playername
Private message a player.

-r
Reply to a player.

Statement: S
Response: R
Conclusion: C

S: Pming is unfair and overpowered.
R: Do you actually know how to use it? Why do you think it's overpowered?
C: In all of my games, almost everyone didn't have the slightest idea of what PM meant. Let alone, didn't even know how to use it. This setting has officially been restricted to be disabled because of conformity. The uneducated convinces the uninformed and it becomes of what it is. In addition, I usually never get a response of why PMing is overpowered. Just because you don't know how to use it and don't know how to follow directions, that doesn't make this feature overpowered or unfair.

S: In the real game, you're not able to do such a thing.
R: Instead of a private messaging, it's considered whispering.
C: In another words, yes you can.

S: It's overpowered for the mafia.
R: The town is able to use it to.
C: If players weren't so stubborn, they would realize that masons are greatly benefited by this feature as much as the mafia. Maybe instead of removing roles that you believe are pointless since you don't have the slightest clue of what they're designed for, you should use them to your advantage.

S: Pre-mades can easily talk to each other, allowing them to cheat.
R: It's difficult to cheat when you're both on different alignments.
C: You're pretty much stupid if you make your own alignment lose because you decided to cheat. It's not cheating, it's just being dumb.

S: Players can easily figure out what each other roles are.
R: How do you know if you're not PMing a mafia member?
C: The truth is, you don't. I've been tricked before through PMs. You may get lucky, but PMing does not reveal your identity. It's the same as saying it in public. Even worse, if someone PMs you saying that they're the mafia. No one saw that message besides you. Therefore making it highly unreliable to the rest of the town.

Faceless
April 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I'll have to agree, people should learn to use the PM system. It adds a whole new way to lie to the game, and lying is fun.

ShadowsEdge
April 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Actually, I think PM-ing should be limited to night time use only. The first reason being that technically it's impossible to whisper to people in the daytime (unless you're whispering to the person adjacent to you but then everyone would see you whisper). Second reason being that in the day time, everyone needs to talk openly. Neither the masons nor the mafia are able to group chat in the morning, and that's when the mafia will fall if they didn't prepare for it the previous night.

Eldrazor
April 18th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Night time use only. At least add an option for night time use only/whenever/not.
The ability for mafia to communicate secretly during the day gives them a huge advantage. Really. Sure, masons can do that too, but masons are on the townies' side, and are quite a lot weaker than mafiosi.

Professor Plum
April 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM
PMs are bad when you have masons in the game, as long as everyone is playing seriously it's almost impossible for town to lose with PMs on.

First day: Masons come out, only way mafia can dispute this is to have 2 of their own pose as masons, if they do lynch any of the 4 and if you lynch a real mason use the other to coordinate vigilantes on the 2 fakes and doctor the real one. If mafia try to pull this off first and the real masons don't speak up you have bad masons.

you now have 1-2 confirmed masons, make everyone pm their roles to them and the mason can easily see which don't add up and have the detective types investigate each other first if they don't add up or just the other roles that don't add up if all the detectives add up.

As long as the killers don't get insanely lucky with their hits and kill all the detectives it's very hard for town to lose at this point.

Without masons PMs aren't as bad since it's much harder to confirm roles, but it's still annoying since you need longer days/nights to really use them effectively.

Eldrazor
April 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM
That rarely happens in public games. Besides, if they are that much of a threat, you can easily kill them off as mafia/SK :)

Trenix
April 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Actually, I think PM-ing should be limited to night time use only. The first reason being that technically it's impossible to whisper to people in the daytime (unless you're whispering to the person adjacent to you but then everyone would see you whisper). Second reason being that in the day time, everyone needs to talk openly. Neither the masons nor the mafia are able to group chat in the morning, and that's when the mafia will fall if they didn't prepare for it the previous night.

You never whispered in someones ear before? I'm not saying, "talk silently". I'm talking about whispering to players. Night time use is abusive, there are roles designed to have their own time to talk. If PMs were limited during the day, you're centering in your attention on only one thing at a time. I see nothing wrong with it anyway, as long as it doesn't nullify other roles, such as those that talk at night. By the way, you're able to whisper to people who are in your night conversation. That's sort of contradicting if you ask me.

PMs are bad when you have masons in the game, as long as everyone is playing seriously it's almost impossible for town to lose with PMs on.

First day: Masons come out, only way mafia can dispute this is to have 2 of their own pose as masons, if they do lynch any of the 4 and if you lynch a real mason use the other to coordinate vigilantes on the 2 fakes and doctor the real one. If mafia try to pull this off first and the real masons don't speak up you have bad masons.

you now have 1-2 confirmed masons, make everyone pm their roles to them and the mason can easily see which don't add up and have the detective types investigate each other first if they don't add up or just the other roles that don't add up if all the detectives add up.

As long as the killers don't get insanely lucky with their hits and kill all the detectives it's very hard for town to lose at this point.

Without masons PMs aren't as bad since it's much harder to confirm roles, but it's still annoying since you need longer days/nights to really use them effectively.

You're way off. You act as if masons know every role from the beginning of the game. Lesson be learned, that if you go around asking for roles, you may seem suspicious. Masons have their voice heard through voting, that's by design. However, unless every town is mason and the rest are mafia, you will not figure out who's mafia. To be honest, as a mafia it's better to say that you're a citizen than a mason because a mason can easily be figured out.

Trenix
April 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
PMs are now only allowed at night? Guess I wont be using PMs anymore. What a way to nullify roles who actually talk at night.

Dark.Revenant
April 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Wow PMs are now only allowed at night? Guess no one will use them anymore. I definitely wont, what a way to nullify roles who actually talk at night. Fail.

I am temporally incapable of meeting everyone's demands. I actually never have time to actually play more than one or two games of Mafia per day (if at all) because I have to do ten million things (classes, Mafia developoment, eat, sleep is my daily schedule) each time I open the editor. Each time I make a change, something bugs up and I have to update the game three more times to clean up the mess because I have NO time to test. Beyond that, there's always someone who disagrees with my choices, but I'm willing to deal with and occasionally accept alternative opinions.

It's all fine and good to give your opinion, but bashing me is in very poor taste, all things considered. Consider this a warning.

Eldrazor
April 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hey, don't take it personally DR. Some people like different things than others, and some people think different things are balanced/fun.
Also, you shouldn't feel responsible for the enjoyment of others of the game. Relax. If you don't want to work on the map, don't. If you just want to play mafia, go play mafia.
I'm amazed at the speed at which you update, but if this means you get burn out, I don't want you updating so fast :)

Professor Plum
April 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I wasn't saying to go around asking for roles, I'm saying that the 2 masons come out because it is impossible to fake being a mason, you would need 4 mafia to even try to delay people being sure till the 2nd day and even then that would only reveal all of the mafia. Of course I'm pretending there would be no trolls because I'm pretending this is a serious game of mafia, balance decisions based on trolls are a bad idea.

Then if the masons are confirmed and you don't give them you're role it's obvious you're a mafia, sk, or troll. The only time this doesn't really work is if there are a ton of randoms (5+) with that many randoms killers might have enough time to get people before it's sorted out.

Trenix
April 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Wow PMs are now only allowed at night? Guess no one will use them anymore. I definitely wont, what a way to nullify roles who actually talk at night. Fail.

I am temporally incapable of meeting everyone's demands. I actually never have time to actually play more than one or two games of Mafia per day (if at all) because I have to do ten million things (classes, Mafia developoment, eat, sleep is my daily schedule) each time I open the editor. Each time I make a change, something bugs up and I have to update the game three more times to clean up the mess because I have NO time to test. Beyond that, there's always someone who disagrees with my choices, but I'm willing to deal with and occasionally accept alternative opinions.

It's all fine and good to give your opinion, but bashing me is in very poor taste, all things considered. Consider this a warning.

This wasn't directed towards you. It was to the people who suggested that PMs should be at night. It just gave benefits to roles who shouldn't even take part in the night phase. The PM system is really unstable, because rarely people use it. It's one thing for a player that actually uses it, to give some feedback. However, it's another for a player who never uses it, to suggest a gamebreaking idea. Just my opinion that it's a critical change, definitely don't suggest anyone to use it. I just made this thread to inform players how to use it, because I'm the only one that selected this feature in every game I've played. But I'll edit my post, sorry for the misunderstanding.