PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Thinking Puzzle #1: NO SOAP RADIO!!

Jim
February 20th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Alright this is my first one so here we go.
Two penguins are sitting in a bathtub, one penguin looks to the other and asks if he could pass the soap. In reply the penguin said, "NO SOAP RADIO!"

Explain what this means.

Jim
February 20th, 2012, 02:26 AM
If you need any help just ask me and ill give a hint or two!

ajkei
March 4th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Did the penguin say "NO SOAP RADIO" (as in your post), or "No soap. Radio!" (as in the picture)?
Are the penguins in the arctic?
Is the water that they are bathing in frozen?
Does it matter that they are penguins specifically, or is that just the phrasing of the riddle (Does the answer to the riddle involve their being penguins)?
Are we to assume that they have the normal characteristics of a penguin, or of a human (as they are taking a bath and talking)?
Do the two penguins know each other prior to their bath together?

Jim
March 9th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Did the penguin say "NO SOAP RADIO" (as in your post), or "No soap. Radio!" (as in the picture)?
Are the penguins in the arctic?
Is the water that they are bathing in frozen?
Does it matter that they are penguins specifically, or is that just the phrasing of the riddle (Does the answer to the riddle involve their being penguins)?
Are we to assume that they have the normal characteristics of a penguin, or of a human (as they are taking a bath and talking)?
Do the two penguins know each other prior to their bath together?

there was a pause between soap and radio.
I think they might be Jamaicans.
The water was warm but not over 100 degrees F.
They were actually penguins, they were speaking in penguin dialect that i translated into English.
These are normal Penguins for their area.
Yes they are actually brothers.

Ash
March 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Penguin 1 wanted soap to clean himself.
Penguin 2 said there was no soap. Then he said 'Radio' to remind Penguin 1 that his radio died out. The radio is important because he communicates with other Penguins with a radio to tell them what the two Penguin brothers need.

Clawtrocity
March 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
No soap radio is a pointless punchline to a nonexistant joke. The idea is that it tricks people into conforming or not conforming when you say it.

Go to a group of friends and say that joke. The ones who have heard it will laugh because they know what's going on. The one's who don't understand it will laugh to fit it. The ones who don't understand it and don't laugh will question it. Those are the people that are smart because they question nonsense and don't just fall into line like sheep. If you want to test them further just say "Don't you get it? "NO SOAP, RADIO!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". If they laugh then it means they will eventually fall to peer pressure and so on and so forth.

The whole thing is psychoanalytical bullshit.

Ash
March 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
No soap radio is a pointless punchline to a nonexistant joke. The idea is that it tricks people into conforming or not conforming when you say it.

Go to a group of friends and say that joke. The ones who have heard it will laugh because they know what's going on. The one's who don't understand it will laugh to fit it. The ones who don't understand it and don't laugh will question it. Those are the people that are smart because they question nonsense and don't just fall into line like sheep. If you want to test them further just say "Don't you get it? "NO SOAP, RADIO!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". If they laugh then it means they will eventually fall to peer pressure and so on and so forth.

The whole thing is psychoanalytical bullshit.

where do you come up with this crap, lol.
Edit: makes sense though.

CmG
March 12th, 2012, 10:53 PM
the second pinguin s name is radio

Admiral
March 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I'll take a stab at it.

Described as “anti-humor” or “anti-comedy” by Wikipedia, “No Soap. Radio!” is an ubiquitous non-sequitur punchline. The set-up to this unjoke takes many forms and has been retold countless times with a wide array of characters including people, penguins, lions, tigers and bears (oh, my!).

Many theories exist on where the expression “No soap. Radio!” originated and what it actually means. Michael Quinion of World Wide Words notes that phrase “No Soap” was first recorded circa 1860 and carried with a meaning somewhat along the lines of “No, I haven’t any money.”

While the exact origins of the “No Soap” utterance have been lost to history, according to Chris Hays of Stanford University the earliest iteration of the “No Soap. Radio!” punchline appeared sometime in the 1940′s and involves a guy in a boarding house taking a shower, his request for soap shouted to the landlady downstairs, who responds in kind with “No Soap. Radio!”

Hays cataloged various origins of the “No Soap. Radio!” punchline, a handful of which resonate with some degree of plausibility. The most reasonable explanation being that during the 1930s through to the ’50s, soap operas were a common fixture on radio broadcasts. The theory goes that “prime time” radio listeners held a certain disdain for these sappy serials. In an attempt to appeal to these “prime time” listeners, a more attractive marketing demographic, some radio stations adopted “No Soap Radio” as slogan to advertise their soap opera-free programming.

Blazer
March 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM
the second pinguin s name is radio

^^^^

Jim
May 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Your all wrong, the answer is 12.
#solved