PDA

View Full Version : [role suggestion] Dark King / True Heir

Socretin
February 19th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Not sure if i'm allowed to post here since I'm new but I wanted to have a shot at trying to make some cool roles

Role Name: Dark King / True Heir
Alignment: One on Mafia side one on the towns side
Game Size(s): Probably wouldn't work in smaller games, so FM's and maybe M-FM's
Abilities:
Dark King: The Dark King has night immunity and is able to check the allegiance of somebody at night. Once The Heir is killed he may also kill someone each night.
True Heir: The Heir has the ability to avoid detection unless The Dark King checks him in which case it will come up with his exact role. The Heir is also night immune unless the Dark King tries to detect him in which case he is killed. The Heir may also escape the lynch once but this will reveal his role to the Dark King. When the Dark King is lynched the Heir becomes fully realized Royalty and has additional votes (number differs from the amount of people that started in the game) as well as the ability to execute somebody at night 3 times.
Win Conditions:
Dark King: The Dark King attains full victory by being the won to kill The Heir. He attains partial victory by winning with the mafia.
True Heir: The Heir attains full victory by voting to lynch The Dark King. He attains partial victory by winning with the town.
Intended Purpose: To add a second element to the Mafia versus Town instead of just killing all of one side there is now a secondary objective within the original objective for some players.
Meta-game implications: Adds another element to the game. The town and Mafia would be trying to help find the other one so that they can get the extra power but at the same time Heir will be trying to lay low and Dark King will have to be the one to kill the Heir.
Possible Cons: Could be difficult for the Dark King to find the Heir. It's possible that the Heir would have an easier job of killing the Dark King than the Dark King would have of killing the Heir. Heir's abilities could possibly be considered greater before he becomes King. Maybe works better as neutral roles?
One Sentence summary: Dark King is mafia role hunting for True Heir. Heir is trying to get Dark King lynched. When Dark King or Heir kills the other then they fulfill half their victory conditions and gain additional power.

meh sorry it's not very good it's my first try at this and I just joined yesterday =/
so here it is ^

Luna
February 20th, 2012, 05:10 AM
It's a really interesting idea :) And of course you're allowed to post here, this is the happy nice part of the forum where you won't be flamed and trolled.

A couple of quick questions:

Normally in forum games any Mafia member can be sent to kill if they forfeit their night action - was this taken into account? "Once The Heir is killed he may also kill someone each night." - does this mean that the King can't be sent out to kill until this happens, or he can kill AND investigate someone once the Heir dies? I guess it's the latter because of this line "The Heir is also night immune unless the Dark King kills him in which case he dies." - if the Dark King couldn't kill at night until the Heir dies but the Heir can only be killed at night by the Dark King that's a little weird hehe.

Whilst the Heir getting more powerful once the King dies is the crux of the matter, I think he becomes slightly too powerful. He becomes a Mayor, and Investigator and a Vigilante/Jailor rolled into one?

When the Heir ascends to the throne, is he revealed to the Town? Does he keep his night immunity?

Is the Heir given the name of the Dark King, like an Executioner? If not then the Heir can't really do much to help himself win the game, he essentially becomes a Citizen with night immunity (suspicious in itself, is he the Godfather or not?). If he IS told who the Dark King is, then all he has to do is reveal himself day 1 and get the lynch. No Mafia would ever really attempt that, an Executioner and Jester in the setup may help a bit but it's a potential concern.

Also secondary win conditions have been a part of forum games for some time, but they've only really been there to add flavour for each specific person (they usually relate to the RP and trying to fulfill the secondary win condition may not always be the best course of action). I like the fact that you've taken the partial victory condition like Yayap used in FMX. It emphasizes the significance of the relationship between the two roles, but my mantra is 'Don't try to bait players into playing the way you want, make it undesirable for them to do anything but play the way you want'. If the Dark King/Heir are rewarded for killing each other, that should be enough incentive. You don't want to gimp players that may decide to give up an opportunity to fulfill their main win condition if it means the rest of their team loses.

Your suggestion that they might work better as neutral roles is something that could be explored. Either way, I hope we hear some more suggestions xD Adding this to the list, someone may see potential in the role.

Socretin
February 20th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah I see some of the problems you mentioned.

Dark King won't be able to kill anyone until the Heir dies but he will be able detect people still and if he detects the Heir, he'll kill the Heir.
Also The Heir may not be suspicious as the gf because he is immune to detection (until he becomes King). However if he does get lynched because people thinks he's gf he can use his one time ability to escape the lynch which will take away the suspicion but alert the Dark King to who he is. If the Doctor is smart however he would try to protect the Heir after that happens.

Also yeah I'll get rid of some of the King's abilities after the Heir ascends to the throne. He'll just have the extra votes, and the 3 executions. I was just worried that night immunity, one time escaping lynch, and immune to detection was better and that people would prefer just staying as Heir. Also it wouldn't really be jailor because he doesn't actually jail anyone. More like a Vigilante

Ubernox
February 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM
It is certainly a good idea, and reminiscent of some other roles (such as the executioner, assassin etc). Could probably do with some more fleshing out. Well done!