PDA

View Full Version : -Repick Sucks

Trenix
April 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Seriously, I'm sick of everyone repicking because they want their way and they have the pre-made group to do so. Remove or fix this feature. If players want their own settings, then they should go and create their own game. It's sad that I must succumb to having a pre-made group for a fun setup. These settings are useless with the conformity and the pre-made groups that are present.

Faceless
April 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with Trenix here. I get repicked if I even think of putting a citizen/mason in or have Night Sequence on. Then they all name themselves "hostisaFAG" if I manage to get the game started.

Sad thing is I usually host my own game so that I get host so I can set it up to my liking.

Eldrazor
April 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I vote for having the -repick funcion disabled for the first 30 seconds once you can save your own variants.
I'm not quite sure about this, as the host usually only gets repicked when he's afk or putting in 5 serial killers or the likes over here in the EU. That said, I haven't played any games with lots of civilians or the likes.

Nameless
April 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm confused as to how the host is picked. A couple of times I've been host of the pre-game lobby, but not in charge of setting the game up. I purposely created the room so that I could have a chance to set the game up, but someone else became host and put 13 SKs and 1 Mafioso.

My standard Game consists of:
1 Mafioso
1 Godfather
1 Consigliere/Hooker
1 Serial Killer
2 Doctors
2 Consorts
1 Sheriff
1 Investigator
1 Vigilante (3 kill limit)
1 Random Any
AND
1 Lobby Choice. (Meaning I let the lobby tell me the last character)

Time constraints are 1.3 minute days, Start at night, No night sequence, and 1 minute trials. Last wills enabled, no PMs usually.

Sometimes I'll add an extra Mafioso. Sometimes I'll add 2 vigilantes with a 2 kill limit, and replace other things. But my setup is pretty standard.
I'd like to add Masons in (not a fan of citizens really) but as soon as I click mason, I get that "Repick" counter going. Some people don't like having positions of power i guess. I'd like to see more variety, but fear for getting repicked every 3 seconds.

Eldrazor
April 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I really don't see the problem with masons. Masons basically give you day immunity. Sure, you don't have any offensive abilities, but you have something to do at night and can easily prove your innocence. Next to that, mafia has no incentive to kill you for your role, as you have the second least powerful role.

Omgproberush
April 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Repick is annoying, but it seems to be less of an issue recently. I still have people complain about Survivor and Mason being in, but not as many. Before I'd get a ton of repicks tossed my way if every single townsperson wasn't really good power role. Now, people seem to sort of accept it.

I'm confused as to how the host is picked. A couple of times I've been host of the pre-game lobby, but not in charge of setting the game up. I purposely created the room so that I could have a chance to set the game up, but someone else became host and put 13 SKs and 1 Mafioso.
It was probably the first couple games you played I'm guessing. After a few games it should almost always make you host. The algorithm is in one of these threads somewhere.

Faceless
April 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I like having night sequence on because of the night-time sounds. If I hear a serial killer stabbing someone to death but there's no serial killer-related death the next day then I know a doctor saved the victim of a serial killer attack. Without night sequence you likely wouldn't have as much information.

This gets me -repicked a lot because for some reason people think the game should be AS FAST AS IT CAN POSSIBLY BE at ALL TIMES, and won't wait an extra 10 seconds to gather more valuable information about what's going on ingame.

Something about not being able to click on someone's name or yell profanities in chat just gets to people, I guess. And night sequence gets in the way for those people, I suppose.

Nameless
April 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Most games I've played with night sequence on, there's always someone in the room providing some type of lag during the night killings. I don't think Night Sequence is necessarily for speed as it is for lag. Just from my experience.

McJesus
April 17th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I vote for having the -repick funcion disabled for the first 30 seconds once you can save your own variants.
I'm not quite sure about this, as the host usually only gets repicked when he's afk or putting in 5 serial killers or the likes over here in the EU. That said, I haven't played any games with lots of civilians or the likes.

I agree with this but for different reasons than OP. From my experience premade parties usually have host but having a guy -repick you after about 5 seconds when you havn't even had a chance to do anything is really annoying. I also think -repick is based on rank cause one guy just kept spamming -repick and changing the host up for about 30 seconds infinitly and then left the game. Maybe there should be a limit on total -repicks too because you can get really whiny annoying crowd that wil just spam -repick all day if the slightest thing isn't to their liking. Usually system works though

Trenix
April 17th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Usually system works though

The only time the system works, is when it's not being used.

Dark.Revenant
April 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
There's a limit to the amount of times you can repick total. That guy probably used up all of his repicks in that one game. (Your bank gets saved each time you repick somebody)

Trenix
May 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I'm coming back to this topic. I thought you added at least 20 seconds before you're able to repick? Anyway, I really dislike this conformity and I've actually even tested it. In a full game my friend purposely said, "repick". Even though he didn't repick, everyone else in the whole game did. When we asked why, they had no reason behind it. Seriously please fix this, it's just ruining games. As mentioned before, if a player wants to "host" a game, then they should go "host" their own game.

In addition, why have a game with options when there is only one way to play it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this system designed for AFK players and newbs? Because it's definitely not being used that way. The limit on repicks also seems pretty high.

Faceless
May 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Still agreeing with Trenix here. I'm kinda of neutral otherwise, though. It's not exactly a reason for me to stop playing the game but I'd be pretty happy if it was removed. No pressure, though. Just sayin.

Dark.Revenant
May 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
How do you fix stupidity? I'd like to know.

dion2k
May 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I can sympathize with both sides of this argument. I personally don't like to play with night sequence, citizens, masons, and spy's which I why I start my own games. And 95% of the time everyone is fine with my preset and I never get repicked, often even complimented on my setup. But I can totally understand if someone would prefer these settings. I don't really see a way to make it any better, aside from letting people leave on the setup menu and allowing new people to join directly into that setup screen, I don't think that's possible though. Another method would be adding a new mode that allows people to vote on classes/settings that they would like to play, and then the system takes this into account and generates a balanced layout.

Dark.Revenant
May 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Autogenerating a setup based on multiple people's choices might as well be a completely random open variant. I feel there is no real way to prevent this issue. If players couldn't repick, they'd just leave if the host picked a setup they hated so badly.

Elixir
May 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
The system may have flaws as you have stated, but there really isn't a viable alternative that would maintain at least some degree of fairness. Indeed, the fact that the repick will automatically choose the player with the highest points is good in that you probably will still get a balanced game with a highly ranked player; as they're looking to increase their score with a non shit set up.

You are, occasionally, going to get bad setups. Thats the nature of the customizable system, it would be very easy to automatically start the game as DRs choice but the replay value of this mod is immense due to the sheer number of setups possible.

In addition, assuming a major concern of yours is taking the time to set up your own game then getting repicked out of it, the fixed save slot also allows for them to almost not have time to repick you as it saves all roles and variables now. Just set up your slot in a single player, load it and start.

Trenix
May 9th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Autogenerating a setup based on multiple people's choices might as well be a completely random open variant. I feel there is no real way to prevent this issue. If players couldn't repick, they'd just leave if the host picked a setup they hated so badly.

Let them leave then, maybe even punish them by reducing their points. I say the host should at least have 20 seconds to start the game before he can be repicked. Honestly, that's the best solution. Most of the time players don't leave, but they almost always repick because of conformity. Another possible solution is make repicking anonymous.

Elixir
May 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Let them leave then, maybe even punish them by reducing their points. I say the host should at least have 20 seconds to start the game before he can be repicked. Honestly, that's the best solution. Most of the time players don't leave, but they almost always repick because of conformity. Another possible solution is make repicking anonymous.

I believe it is intended that they have 15 seconds. You cant repick them until the (host AFK? type -repick to change hosts) message appears below their name as far as I know.

Dark.Revenant
May 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Elixir is correct. I also believe that you can't start the game until then, either, but that's just a guess. I'm sure repicking is disabled until that message pops up.

Trenix
May 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I also believe that you can't start the game until then, either, but that's just a guess.

I think it is like that. The repick system always turns on before I start the game. In my opinion, you should try the anonymous thing. I can guarantee that there are players who repick because someone else did it, or many others did it. So I'm sure there will be better results.

Supersun
May 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I'm sure repicking is disabled until that message pops up.

definitely is. Do you think you could change that so at least the current host can -repick himself before those 20 secs are up? Seen plenty of times someone doesn't want to host but has to wait for those 20 secs before he can actually pass it himself.

(also it would be nice if that message was different for the host so he would know that -repick will auto pass the host to another player)

Faceless
May 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure if it was suggested already, but when "RandomIdiot has voted to repick." pops up, it's like a cue for all the other random idiots to immediately type repick under the assumption that the first random idiot knows exactly what he's doing and totally isn't repicking just because he's a random idiot.

Maybe removing that notification would fix the issue.

The being said, I don't really think the issue is the fact that people CAN repick as much as the fact that people WILL repick for NO reason when they see some other guy vote to do it. It starts a snowball effect and the host ends up being repicked just because one guy thought that night time was 4 seconds too long (whereas the other 10-12 players were completely okay with the setup and just couldn't resist playing Follow the Leader).

Elixir
May 12th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I just want to check, the repick system dictates people with higher scores get a higher CHANCE at being picked? Or does it go in direct score order. Reason I ask is host has been passing to people 300-400 points below me and then me in a high frequency of cases, although we are all 1000+ in points

Styx
May 12th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Definitely agree with hiding the repick messages.

Membrax
May 12th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I'm not sure if it was suggested already, but when "RandomIdiot has voted to repick." pops up, it's like a cue for all the other random idiots to immediately type repick under the assumption that the first random idiot knows exactly what he's doing and totally isn't repicking just because he's a random idiot.

Made me laugh because we've all witnessed that :)

That being said, you just have to be quick. Load your Saved Slot as soon as possible, ask if it's ok, and you'll never be "repicked".

GriM-DeMoN
March 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Why is everyone a Guest