PDA

View Full Version : Not Quitting

Dark.Revenant
June 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I realized I would become incredibly bored without Mafia, so I realized I would never be able to quit for long.

Unfortunately, there is an obstacle: I am literally forbidden from working on Mafia, orders of my parents (no, I'm not a minor, but I am financially dependent on them).

I can't move out, so I'm pretty much screwed.

SnipingHobo
June 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM
You wont quit and you wont work on Mafia ... what does this mean exactly?

Clawtrocity
June 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM
He's dating the bad boy of the school. He'll "study" with him under the bleachers and his parents will never find out because if they did then they would take away his new thunderbird that looks so snazzy. If he didn't do this then he'd going mentally insane and possibly kill his parents and then he'll never see his bad boy again cause he'd be in jail and you can't be rebellious in jail you just get raped and shanked.

TheJackofSpades
June 10th, 2011, 08:59 PM
You're so observant Claw. Honestly though, I'd definitely take Claw's advice from the closed thread. Good luck.

McJesus
June 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
my advice as a mafia enthuiast: SWEET, DOOOOOOO IT!

my advice as a person: Dude your parents have a point, editing mafia isn't bad but you have to balance it out with trying to find something like a job, or a degree, or whatever is going to allow you to do well in the long run. Maybe patches come out every few weeks instead of every few days because that is how much time you have, so what? Just do what you have to do and find a balance between real life and working on mafia.

also Claw is so right, haha

McJesus
June 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
also all this happens when save slots are breaking, fucking a

Dark.Revenant
June 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
All appears to be fixed, so I'm taking a week-long hiatus off of Mafia development. I have a job interview on Sunday, and I'll be actually playing Mafia a lot more now.

SnipingHobo
June 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Yea, you should try it. Its a pretty fun game :P

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
June 11th, 2011, 06:24 AM
You guys may or may not realize this but
Rev is in fact the best troll on the forums since the domain switch.

Auckmid
June 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM
This may not be the best time, but I would just like 2 let everyone know that im still in middle school, and have $15,000, which I earned all by myself :P. Glad ur not quiting because this is a realy good game, and i'm sure u can get a part time job as a game store clerk, then move up the ladder when u graduate.

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
June 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Auckmid, you should donate.

Dark.Revenant
June 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'd rather just make games as a career, but other jobs are needed to acquire the budget to do that.

Also how did you manage $15k in middle school? Here, the minimum working age is 16. In Canada it's 15. Nobody is in middle school at 15.

oops_ur_dead
June 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'd rather just make games as a career, but other jobs are needed to acquire the budget to do that.

Also how did you manage $15k in middle school? Here, the minimum working age is 16. In Canada it's 15. Nobody is in middle school at 15.

You're high. Minimum working age for most jobs is 14. Shitty jobs can be had under that age.
It's likely that he sold some shit I don't even know.

Lysergic
June 11th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow gays are so impulsive.

You don't know the half of it.

@DR: 15k... Youngest drug dealer ever? That or eBay fanatic.

jamesthefishy
June 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Wow gays are so impulsive.

You don't know the half of it.

@DR: 15k... Youngest drug dealer ever? That or eBay fanatic.

worst drug dealer ever.

Styx
June 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Dark is there anything we as a community can do to help you with these problems?

Dark.Revenant
June 12th, 2011, 10:08 PM
My personal problems are personal.

The best thing the community can do is avoid calamity (don't explode, melt down, etc.), which puts pressure on those in charge. Sometimes people underestimate the importance of staying stable.

McJesus
June 12th, 2011, 10:16 PM
OMG THE SKY IS FALLING, LIFE IS HARD, EVERYBODY RUN AROUND IN CIRCLES AND PANIC! PANIC! PANIC!

jk, everything is pretty stable right now in my opinion

BruceCampbell
June 13th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Hey Revenant. I feel your pain, the computer industry is a shitty one to try and break into without greasing the wheels with connections or a degree.

Don't forget however, that your work on the Mafia map may be seen by employers within the game industry as experience. I know in particular that Riot Games (which is located in California) would look at such work favorably. It might be worth trying to secure a QA Analyst position with them, or even a community-based one. You're currently managing a small community here, as well as producing a product. Don't forget that this counts as job experience, even if most employers won't have enough brain cells to appreciate that.

Dark.Revenant
June 13th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I do indeed use this as job experience; it's not like I have much else to put down, anyway.

But yeah, Riot Games is in LA. 100 miles is a bit of a drive.

BruceCampbell
June 13th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Being in Boston, the geography of California is akin to regular expressions in Perl to me. I know they exist, I kinda sorta know the major cities, but don't for the love of god ask me to navigate.

Zack
June 13th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Uh, logical voice interruption.

So what if Riot Games is in LA? If you can get a job with them isn't there the option of renting an apartment nearby? Just thinking you know, pretty sure your parents would be more than happy to support this move for independance on your part, and even help pay for it until you get settled down.

Thoughts, ideas, you know. Maybe you're not really looking to move so far, heh. You also mentioned something about college... So, yeah, future thoughts? :P

I'l shut up now.

CyanBlade
June 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
well i can tell you what you can do, which is basicly my dream in the future (mabey not in this context exactly) but basicly working at a hooby shop or convenyence store or whatev, and in between taking to customers, I work on programing video games. mabey something like this will work for you.

Dark.Revenant
June 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Since I'm in college in SD, moving to LA is not feasible.

Auckmid
June 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM

You're high. Minimum working age for most jobs is 14. Shitty jobs can be had under that age.
It's likely that he sold some shit I don't even know.

I've been doing a 3 hour a week paper route for 4 years, which I have earned 8K from. I've earned 2K from national science fair. 'Nother 2K from socker refereeing. As long as I go to univercity, I get a 20% increase for all money I've saved. I maybe spend $200 a year. Add it all together, I get alot of money.

Clawtrocity
June 13th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I mean I get that you're 14, but how the hell do you only spend 200$ a year? You bought starcraft and didn't go out to each for 3 months? That seems like a crazy low number even for a 14 year old.

Auckmid
June 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
1st of all, I am 15. 2nd, I just a huge saver. I love earning money and watching my bank total going up, and hate haveing to make it go down. 3rd, I only WITHDRAW $200 a year. I mainly buy stuff through Birthday/Christmas money and $20 a month allowance

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
June 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Auckmid can you get me a copy of MineCraft?

Clawtrocity
June 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Ah that seems more reasonable I was gonna say if you only spent 200$ a year and you have that much money you're ruining your childhood. Save enough for emergencies and things you have to save for like college and what not, but after that go party hardy with hookers and blow...Or chuck e cheese.

S.A.S.Cnl.Alpha
June 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Hey man you better not talk shit about CEC

it sucks but man those ranch fries are good.

Dark.Revenant
June 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well, hopefully I'll get a real job and make more than $15k in one year. The problem is you have very little in terms of expenses, whereas I have a lot of expenses (car, insurance, taxes, college, supplies) and I don't even buy much aside from the occasional bargain bin item.

Auckmid
June 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Just so we r all clear, I'm not trying to be an a$$, and the only reason I have the money is because I've been working and saveing for a long long time

McJesus
June 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Just a random idea, if you want to get a job as a programmer why not trying to get something at blizzard or at least try to get a refrence from them? I mean it's like hey guys look I've only made one of the most sucessful maps on your custom games list, the least you could do is give me a refrence. They promote the crap out of day 9, I'm sure they would be able to show you some love too.

TheJackofSpades
June 14th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I mean I get that you're 14, but how the hell do you only spend 200$ a year? You bought starcraft and didn't go out to each for 3 months? That seems like a crazy low number even for a 14 year old.

Tbh, I only spend around 200-300$ a year and I'm in college, and play Magic the Gathering. You just have to know how to make your money last...

Zack
June 15th, 2011, 01:27 AM
But if he gets recruited by Blizzard then they'l brainwash him and he'l become one of THEM... -cue horror music-

Lysergic
June 15th, 2011, 01:48 AM

Tbh, I only spend around 200-300$ a year and I'm in college, and play Magic the Gathering. You just have to know how to make your money last...

o.0

Do you live off-campus? Do you pay your own tuition? Do you have a car? Do you have a cell-phone? Do you eat?

Because any of those things would make it impossible to spend that little. In fact, I feel like paying for internet alone would be more than that (30 bucks a month is pretty normal for cable internet, and that's $360 a year right there).

AdmiralCain
June 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I've been doing a 3 hour a week paper route for 4 years, which I have earned 8K from. I've earned 2K from national science fair. 'Nother 2K from socker refereeing. As long as I go to univercity, I get a 20% increase for all money I've saved. I maybe spend $200 a year. Add it all together, I get alot of money.

Okay so if you save all your earnings and your parents pay all your expenses, then yes it's possible to have saved up $15k in middle school (just as it's possible to save up $15k if your parents just give you $15k and you put it in the bank). Kudos to you for keeping the paper route for so long and saving the money wisely :) But it's completely different from a situation where someone has to pay for his/her own cost of living. Just out of curiosity: would you be able to blow away the $15K now if you wanted to, or would your parents not allow that?

Also. If you're expecting a 20% bonus from your parents for going to university...it's not accurate to pre-count that and say you have $15k now in middle school. :P If you could do that, then you could also say that you have $100K now in middle school, because you plan to invest the $15K at 5% interest for 40 years, after which you will have $100K.

I'm a lawyer, and although I make good money, I don't even have $15K in net worth (assets minus liabilities), because I have ~$100K in law school loans that I am in the process of paying off. Also, life is pretty freaking expensive. It's not the same when your parents are paying for everything. ;D

TheJackofSpades
June 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM

o.0

Do you live off-campus? Do you pay your own tuition? Do you have a car? Do you have a cell-phone? Do you eat?

Because any of those things would make it impossible to spend that little. In fact, I feel like paying for internet alone would be more than that (30 bucks a month is pretty normal for cable internet, and that's $360 a year right there).

I don't count any college costs or meal plan costs... most of it is covered by scholarships and the rest I'm not personally paying for. I don't have a car, my cellphone is pre-paid(5$ a month for basic texting; that's it).
But then again, someone in middle school doesn't have to worry about any of that either, so I'd say his claim is pretty believable.