PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit cipher time

fm Archangel
February 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hey, oops_ur_wizard with another steganography tool here. This time we're going god tier.

We can encode messages in images without changing the image in any perceivable way. We can even put passwords on it.

We simply use this site: http://mozaiq.org/encrypt/ and put messages in, say, our avatars or signatures. The only limit is that it fucks up when the image has transparency.

To decrypt, you use this site: http://mozaiq.org/decrypt/ and upload the picture, then type the password.

As a demo, here are two images with to compare how well this method works:

http://i.imgur.com/k6Hli.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/MRoH2.png

The one on the right has a secret message encoded into it with the password "simply magic". Decrypt it and stuff if you want.

Anyway, discuss.

fm Lysergic
February 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Brilliant, although it is a bit of a pain to upload/download all the images every time. We can set up multiple passwords for each person if needed.

fm Fred
February 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Remember when this type of thing completely blew up in our faces? Fun times

Forum Mafia GM
February 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
You might want to review rule #11.

fm Elixir
February 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Right, if we're going to use code, I think the code style used in FM VI with Eternity would suffice with some minor alterations, granted we all actually run with it. A big problem in FM VI with Eternity (one of many, overall, I know) was that, no one was utilizing it; I would try to discern codes from my new teammates when there in fact were none in play. It was a little aggravating.

With rule #11, as GM pointed out, we have to rely on our own cryptography skills. We can make it as encompassing as we want, with many variations; very doable as long as a) we have access to our night chat as an archive during day or b) just copy paste it into notepad for reference.

So it's something like:

A = Town PR
I = Town Non PR
O = Neutral Killer
U = Neutral Benign
Y = BLOCKED

Those are the letters you use in the first word of your first post of the day to signify a Consigs invest results.

Then, say that you're blocked, for the first word of your second paragraph:

And = Target was immune
Also = Target was healed
However = I was witched

the construct can be anything that we want. This is simply an example of a setup that can be used. I supposed I'll now work on a more specific version.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Right, if we're going to use code, I think the code style used in FM VI with Eternity would suffice with some minor alterations, granted we all actually run with it. A big problem in FM VI with Eternity (one of many, overall, I know) was that, no one was utilizing it; I would try to discern codes from my new teammates when there in fact were none in play. It was a little aggravating.

With rule #11, as GM pointed out, we have to rely on our own cryptography skills. We can make it as encompassing as we want, with many variations; very doable as long as a) we have access to our night chat as an archive during day or b) just copy paste it into notepad for reference.

So it's something like:

A = Town PR
I = Town Non PR
O = Neutral Killer
U = Neutral Benign
Y = BLOCKED

Those are the letters you use in the first word of your first post of the day to signify a Consigs invest results.

Then, say that you're blocked, for the first word of your second paragraph:

And = Target was immune
Also = Target was healed
However = I was witched

the construct can be anything that we want. This is simply an example of a setup that can be used. I supposed I'll now work on a more specific version.

Sounds like a good plan so far.

fm Archangel
February 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM
You might want to review rule #11.

Oh, my bad. I misread and thought that ciphers created using programs or websites WERE allowed.

Disregard my OP, then. I will try to find out something else.

fm Elixir
February 4th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I'm not 100% on mechanics, so some help would be appreciated. If you think a different phrase, word or letter should be used, please suggest it. I know that I'm missing effects, certain roles, etc, so just point them out. I'm still going over the roles list and will be updating this as I find more mechanics and situations that would call for additional codes.

The following apply to everyone. If you are informed that you have been subjected to any particular night action, use one of the following code phrases exactly as they are somewhere in your first post of the day; no one should be using these phrases under any other conditions in their first post. Don't be obvious about it, utilize it to actually say something or play your character:

Witched = If it were....
Attacked but survived by your own mechanics = Don't be mistaken...
Attacked and healed or otherwise saved by a non Mob = It's of no concern...
Bused = I don't think...
Stolen from = On the other hand...

Hookers, GF and Framer's don't really need a day code outside of the one that applies to us all.

Consig = Kromos; Lysergic
Use the following letter in the first word of your first post:
I've got nothing to put here yet as I don't really know how consig results will come in from the GM. If anyone has some insight to this, please share.

D Thief = Archangel
The only real use here would be if the thief steals an item usable during day. So there would really only be one indicator, to be used in the first post of the day:

Stole a day shot item - Good morning everyone

We could construct a call/answer here to suggest or dictate who to use this shot on if it is deemed necessary. I'm not really sure of how exactly to do this without being obvious. I've considered using the numbers list provided by Yayap coinciding with the FM names list, or quoting the targeted individual, responding to that individual but including a certain phrase in that response. Input would be appreciated.

Mafioso = Elixir; TheJackofSpades
To signify why a kill target did not die. The first letter of the first post of the day would be:

A = Target was healed
I = Target was Immune

fm Elixir
February 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Obviously, the consig code would be the most complicated, but I also see at as being the most important.

I should have also added that, using letters for results and phrases for night effects is so they can be used in conjunction with one another. For example:

My target did not die because he was immune, I was also attacked and healed, it would look something like:

I think we're missing a mob kill. However, it's of no concern.

Obviously, better phrases should be used, as that would be a very questionable statement, but it's a fine example for right now.

fm Archangel
February 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Can an image editing program be used for the cipher so long as the actual encoding/decoding is done on pen+paper?
For example, say we make a code that is based around the colour of a specific pixel in an image. Would we be allowed to use an image editing program to change or detect the colour of said pixel, so long as the interpretation of the meaning of the pixel colour is done outside the program?

fm TheJackofSpades
February 4th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I like the 2nd system system. :D with the pretty colors.

fm Elixir
February 4th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Added Doused, Jailed and Recruited.

Also, I believe it will be easier if instead of phrases, adjectives would be better suited; they'd be easier to slip in unnoticed and offer some variability. These should also change every night as to prevent someone picking up on them. The words were chosen somewhat at random.

Witched - Huge/Big/Large
Attacked (immune) - Awful/Awfully
Attacked (healed/saved) = Cruel
Bused = Odd/Oddity
Stolen from = Small/Tiny
Doused = Icy/Chilly/Cold
Jailed/Released = Silly/Funny
Recruited = Nasty/Gross/Disgusting

fm Elixir
February 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Actually, they shouldn't change every night, only when they've been used should we change them.

fm TheJackofSpades
February 4th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Actually, they shouldn't change every night, only when they've been used should we change them.
Correct but we have to be VERY careful what we say in-case a Cicero is listening.

Forum Mafia GM
February 5th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Can an image editing program be used for the cipher so long as the actual encoding/decoding is done on pen+paper?
For example, say we make a code that is based around the colour of a specific pixel in an image. Would we be allowed to use an image editing program to change or detect the colour of said pixel, so long as the interpretation of the meaning of the pixel colour is done outside the program?

Why you try to break game with codes? No for program, since it's the program that allows you to see the code. If you want to use bbcode to achieve the same goal, I would accept.

I wonder who will quote this first?

There are many colors that look the same.

5 examples of your color code are in this post.

It would be up to you not to draw attention to your posts so that no one quotes them to keep this secret

fm Suicidaln00b
February 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Why you try to break game with codes? No for program, since it's the program that allows you to see the code. If you want to use bbcode to achieve the same goal, I would accept.

It would be up to you not to draw attention to your posts so that no one quotes them to keep this secret

Pretty smart. Ever so slightly a shade change. No attention drawn, and no one can see it until they quote it..if they pay attention to it.

fm TheJackofSpades
February 5th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Pretty smart. Ever so slightly a shade change. No attention drawn, and no one can see it until they quote it..if they pay attention to it.

hmm I don't see it?

fm TheJackofSpades
February 5th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Nevermind.

fm Elixir
February 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM

I remember someone attempting this in FM VI and it wasn't 2 pages before it was pointed out.

fm Elixir
February 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I know we have several threads running at the moment, but I wouldn't mind additional feedback here.

A code system may or may not need to be used, but we can't plan for how day will go. The one I've presented is incredibly simple to utilize and we'll enable us more flexibility during the day. If something happens to you, it can only benefit the unit to share that information as soon as possible.

We're confined to the rules of this FM, so if anyone can come up with something better, I'm more than open to an alternative method. Whatever method we utilize, I would just like us all to be unanimous on it's structure, use and content. We cannot afford lone wolves and impulsivity (see FM VI Eternity).

fm Fred
February 5th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Personally I'm against a code system for anything other than cosig results. It is too complicated and unnessecary. If we are doing codes we should do something similar to our fmiv code, I am still proud of that and think it is the best code made to date.

fm Elixir
February 5th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Personally I'm against a code system for anything other than cosig results. It is too complicated and unnessecary. If we are doing codes we should do something similar to our fmiv code, I am still proud of that and think it is the best code made to date.

It's really not complicated. You just use an adjective in your first post. It's very useful, especially if someone else is claiming the same effect that day. It doesn't hurt and all you have to do is reference the very small list.

What was the method used in FM IV? My first was VI.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 5th, 2012, 12:29 PM

What was that code?
And we can do anything for our code. I've never seen how day times go in FM since im new, but I'm sure we could make a new code for each day (with a 48 hour window to make a new one, the only problem is picking one).
For example, we could use current events to code certain things i.e. songs, quotes, books, anything and everything. If we get more people involved in it, the better off we are and we can just look at our own mafia's post for relevant info.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 5th, 2012, 12:34 PM
What was that code?
And we can do anything for our code. I've never seen how day times go in FM since im new, but I'm sure we could make a new code for each day (with a 48 hour window to make a new one, the only problem is picking one).
For example, we could use current events to code certain things i.e. songs, quotes, books, anything and everything. If we get more people involved in it, the better off we are and we can just look at our own mafia's post for relevant info.

Or at the very least, since i'm playing a role of a jester so far, I can try to act like im talking to the killers with codes so they don't accidentally kill me, while I try to claim sheriff and get town to lynch me.
Or just go to basic jester troll and accuse and stuff and have random words in my "codes" or something. My persona from Day 0 was pretty much a troll and poster of irrelevant info.

fm TheJackofSpades
February 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Very true, but it also makes you a big target to dispose of by the town.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Very true, but it also makes you a big target to dispose of by the town.

True, but I'm not sure if town would want to waste a lynch or a rp attack to kill a jester...unless i troll over the top like 20 posts in a row.
I think I will start off at some moderately/slow trolling to see how town reacts first.

fm TheJackofSpades
February 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
True, but I'm not sure if town would want to waste a lynch or a rp attack to kill a jester...unless i troll over the top like 20 posts in a row.
I think I will start off at some moderately/slow trolling to see how town reacts first.
Yes because once the real jester dies you need to be careful.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Yes because once the real jester dies you need to be careful.

Yup, if there's another Jester. Well just the fact that there could be another based off of neutral roles still available will work. However, I know what you mean. Just as long as theres still room in the role's list for me to be Jester. But if it comes to that, I can just say I was jesting so that mafia wouldn't kill me. And I was secretly investing ppl every night.

fm TheJackofSpades
February 5th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Yup, if there's another Jester. Well just the fact that there could be another based off of neutral roles still available will work. However, I know what you mean. Just as long as theres still room in the role's list for me to be Jester. But if it comes to that, I can just say I was jesting so that mafia wouldn't kill me. And I was secretly investing ppl every night.

and then list off names of people who are HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS of being night roles who cannot be killed at night. Get them out fast.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Or I could claim cit, and I was just bored or something...so I trolled hardcore or w/e. Depends on the situation. hahaha

fm TheJackofSpades
February 5th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Or I could claim cit, and I was just bored or something...so I trolled hardcore or w/e. Depends on the situation. hahaha

Yes!

fm Suicidaln00b
February 6th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Idea, if i'm suppose to troll I can make up random questions and ask them in the posts and depending on the mafia member's FIRST statement for that day will determine what happened.

For example:
I ask how about them cowboys?
Mafia replies on topic- They blow you little faggot. (<-- improv that part) then the target was healed.
OR
Mafia replies off topic- (hey guys. just checking in day 1) he is immune to attacks

AND/OR
Include certain key words.
For example: consig could reply on topic with the letter I so show his target is an investigative role.--I think the cowboys are awesome.
or off topic-- I think this guy is suspicious -- his target is....(fill in the blank)

Or we could abandon the question altogether and somehow incorporate my signature in it.
Since i'm trolling I will come up with nonsense signatures, based on certain aspects of it you can make a response. (indirectly or directly)
Such as to my current one -- we could incorporate almost anything from it mean anything, but how about this--we assign one word from my signature to mean something. i.e. if you say the word please ANYWHERE in your first comment, (from consig point of view) then your target is an investigator. Of course we can change the words, colors, spacing, ANYTHING in the signature to our benefit. Since i'm trolling it will appear random.

So my most basic point. Utilize my trolling role to code and uncode what happened the night before. We have 2 1/2 hours to come up with a code. We should have one finalized and ready for day 1 and then we can modify or change it if need be, on night 2.

Ideas? Input? Elaboration? Think I'm over doing it? Going crazy? The more heads we have the better.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Side note: or incorporate my random trolling questions (or just troll comments) with my signature.

fm TheJackofSpades
February 6th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'll do my best, I just don't want to respond with the opposite of what I mean, lol.

fm Suicidaln00b
February 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ok well we'll see what everyone else thinks, it's only good if we can all comprehend and use it.
Then we need to set the actual rules of it for day 1. --Like what colors mean what, or words mean what, or replies mean what. (these can change every night if we want it to appear more random, and just in case there is a methodical person out there taking close notes on us.)