PDA

View Full Version : M-FM entry exam

McJesus
January 17th, 2012, 01:51 PM
So I've decided the people with no forum mafia history will have to answer a few questions before they play. I'm looking for them to be half decently articulate and to have some enthusiasm.

1) how many points do you have in mafia?
2) do you prefer to play as a town role or mafia role and why?
3) what is WIFOM?
4) why do you want to play forum mafia?

What do you think of this idea? What questions would you ask entry level players? I think we should make an official entry level survey for forum mafias.

TheWaaagh
January 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I'm against this for a few reasons: 1) you mispelled WIFOM in your entry exam and 2) I didn't have to fill anything out to play in my first FM, so I see no reason why others should have to. It just seems very elitist to me.

That's not to say I won't ban assholes from my games, but I'd let new people take a shot and if they're not active modkill them, bring in a veteran reserve, and then ban them from future games. Problem solved.

Kromos
January 17th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I think we should just let people join and I agree with what TheWaaagh said. The more the better and this might discourage some new people from trying it out.

McJesus
January 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I'm doing it for mine, you have the option of not doing it for yours. The thing is I've been commishioning fantasy sports leagues for about 5 years now and my experience with that is whenever we have to find a new player who hasn't done it before it doesn't matter if it is an irl friend or someone who randomly signed up more often than not they don't give a shit and don't make an impact.

Luna
January 17th, 2012, 02:36 PM
An entry 'exam' will never be mandatory. The host can let in, or keep out, any player he/she wishes.

Sumikoko
January 17th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Personally, when I first played FM, VI to be exact (so the same time as Waaagh, heh), I, of course, wasn't placed in any exam. Dark.Revenant probably just checked my IP and moved on. I have never played the actual SC2 game, at all lol, much less the Mafia subgame. I don't even know what it is. I came on this forum by persuasion of Zack, so I had no clue what I was doing the first FM lol. It was a good experience though, and I quickly learned.

I'm split on this one.

I'm for this idea because personally, if you don't know what WIFOM is, and you care about playing this game, you ought to look it up, like I did, and actually spend time on it. The flip side is, this is, after all, an entry level FM game, and thus may be a good starter for people who are unsure if they want to commit the time to it. And of course, while I looked up WIFOM and a majority of the roles, I had no clue what they actually did till I played a game for myself. Not to mention M-FMs usually have a few weird roles not in the Mafia wiki, so...

I dunno. I'm kind of with Luna on this one lol. Do as you like. Let every host decide for herself/himself.

Ash
January 17th, 2012, 04:15 PM
So I've decided the people with no forum mafia history will have to answer a few questions before they play. I'm looking for them to be half decently articulate and to have some enthusiasm.

1) how many points do you have in mafia?
2) do you prefer to play as a town role or mafia role and why?
3) what is WIFOM?
4) why do you want to play forum mafia?

What do you think of this idea? What questions would you ask entry level players? I think we should make an official entry level survey for forum mafias.
1) over 9000
2) mafia because it takes more skills and makes u look like a badass when you win.
3) Waffles in front of me
4) cuz i have no life, mafia is my life

i think this idea is great
i would ask if "If you were to be the greatest at something, what would you be" or "What's your favorite Pokemon types? Why?"

Nick
January 31st, 2012, 08:47 AM
I'm doing it for mine, you have the option of not doing it for yours. The thing is I've been commishioning fantasy sports leagues for about 5 years now and my experience with that is whenever we have to find a new player who hasn't done it before it doesn't matter if it is an irl friend or someone who randomly signed up more often than not they don't give a shit and don't make an impact.

I disagree. Some veteran players also don't give a !@#$ and don't make an impact.

As for new players, as long they are vouched by someone, or have made a few posts in the forum or played SC2 mafia before, I think it should be more than fine.

I may not remember correctly, but Sumikoko joined just before FM started. As for Kromos and TheWaaagh I think they appeared out of the blue. First post made was /sign?

Makes the reasoning for entry exam a bit ugh...