View Full Version : Grammar/Spelling Mistakes

Trenix
January 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Roles

Jailor

Is actually spelt, "Jailer".

Loading Screen

"It's scummy, and it's a very low blow."

This statement is grammatically incorrect. The word, "very", doesn't even belong in the sentence.

Ash
January 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Do you have spell-check on? For me, it's Jailor.

Actually, I believe it can be spelled both way, but Jailor seems more professional IMO.

As for "very" I'm not sure, it seems fine to me.

Luna
January 9th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Actually it's spelt 'Gaoler'

Luna
January 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Learn English from the English, yo

Trenix
January 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yes, it's gaoler or jailor if you're English. It's jailer if you're American-English. Since mafia is on the North American server, it should be jailer.

Luna
January 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I can honestly say that I have never seen mafia on the north american server, so I have to conclude that you are lying.

Luna
January 9th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Though I have never played on the NA servers so my eye-witness account is biased in that regard xD

Ash
January 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'm from NA, and I think Jailor sounds better.
BUT I THINK COLOR IS BETTER THAN COLOUR!

NorthStar
January 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Canada is part of North America, Canadians speak British English. Jailor looks better then Jailer, thus Jailor.

Trenix
January 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm from NA, and I think Jailor sounds better.
BUT I THINK COLOR IS BETTER THAN COLOUR!

I hate it when people use the word colour over color. That's probably why I hate that jailer is spelt jailor. If you add a T it becomes tailor. How I hate being a perfectionist. Anyway, in my spell-check dictionary, jailor is not found but jailer is.

Canada is part of North America, Canadians speak British English. Jailor looks better then Jailer, thus Jailor.

So you're saying that Canada makes up for the whole North America? Lets not forget that it's called North America, not Canada.

wolfcheese
January 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Jailor...Jailer...wow, I've never thought about that before. Both spellings are in my dictionary. I've probably spelled it both ways during my life without even noticing. :rolleyes: Just like I say "route" two different ways.

Maybe it can be written as Jail(e/o)r and make everyone happy? Or people could just deal.

NorthStar
January 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I hate it when people use the word colour over color. That's probably why I hate that jailer is spelt jailor. If you add a T it becomes tailor. How I hate being a perfectionist. Anyway, in my spell-check dictionary, jailor is not found but jailer is.

So you're saying that Canada makes up for the whole North America? Lets not forget that it's called North America, not Canada.
This smartass has obviously missed my point. Have I ever implied that Canada is the entirety of North America? No, not even discreetly. I said that Canada was a PART of North America sir, and the map creator despite living in America has chosen to use British English spellings rather then American English spellings. Good day to you and thank you for your dimwitted suggestion.

Ash
January 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM
This smartass has obviously missed my point. Have I ever implied that Canada is the entirety of North America? No, not even discreetly. I said that Canada was a PART of North America sir, and the map creator despite living in America has chosen to use British English spellings rather then American English spellings. Good day to you and thank you for your dimwitted suggestion.

Why are you so harsh? Maybe that's why they banned you from Minecraft, you probably griefed 9999999999 glass walls LOL

McJesus
January 9th, 2012, 05:32 PM
jailor gets flagged in google chrome's spell check vs jailer doesn't but chrome is on Canadian settings for me. Personally I think jailor sounds better. While we are on the topic of spelling why do Americans ignore the u sound between the o and r of words like colour?

Ash
January 9th, 2012, 05:34 PM
jailor gets flagged in google chrome's spell check vs jailer doesn't but chrome is on Canadian settings for me. Personally I think jailor sounds better. While we are on the topic of spelling why do Americans ignore the u sound between the o and r of words like colour?
Looks ugly and makes no difference of the pronunciation.

Trenix
January 9th, 2012, 06:08 PM

I don't believe the map maker lives in North America, but if he did, it'd make sense to have it be spelled accordingly to the region you're in. However, different versions of Mafia are in NA and EU. So if you want to make it grammatically correct, it would be spelt jailer in North America, not jailor. I also highly doubt that they say, "jailor" in Canada anyway. You only brought up British English because you wanted to make a point, or otherwise wanted to be a smartass. You're just upset that I countered your argument. Just because you still believe your point is valid, here is some other food for thought.

In Starcraft II, North America is using the American-English language, not the British-English language. In addition, Canada has plenty of French speaking people, in which we don't see North American servers supporting French maps. Lets also not forget that Mexico is part of North America, but yet I see no Spanish maps. So if we were to be grammatically correct, jailor is spelt wrong in north American servers which is why I thought I should make it known.

Ambient
January 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Don't feed the spelling and grammar troll.

Ash
January 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM
OK FUCKING FAGGOT ASS GRAMMAR NAZIS

DARK_REVENANT IS THE MAP MAKER
DARK_REVENANT LIVES IN CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
DARK_REVENANT IS NOT A GRAMMAR NAZI SO THEREFORE HE DOESNT CARE IF HE MADE A SLIGHT ERROR LOL

Yayap
January 9th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Locking the Grammar Nazi thread, this is not a bug.