PDA

View Full Version : Blackmailer Change

Voss
July 21st, 2018, 10:35 AM
GDI, how do I put labels on my posts.

I'm thinking of changing the way Blackmailer is implemented here on Narrator. Currently it stops them from voting, and from talking. I did this because I didn't want any funky sort of communicating via votes, kind of how it is on the mod. (AKA spam voting)

However, this runs into the problem that mafia effectively remove a town vote from them and that's hella powerful.

The change I'm thinking of is to allow blackmailed people to vote, but it won't show up anywhere. Like votes to lynch won't change. It won't show when bmed people make votes. Etc.

Thoughts?

Marshmallow Marshall
July 21st, 2018, 03:06 PM
Does it allow to blackmail fellow mafiosi? Because that's an OP weapon for mafia... being able to vote without being noticed....

Voss
July 22nd, 2018, 10:31 AM
Does it allow to blackmail fellow mafiosi? Because that's an OP weapon for mafia... being able to vote without being noticed....

I'm definitely looking for a better suggestion, but currently, I think in terms of OPness, hiding a mafia vote is less OP than removing a vote from the town's people.

Maybe I should add the caveat that you'll know what the bmed person voted at the end of the day. Just not in real time.

Stealthbomber16
July 22nd, 2018, 06:40 PM
GDI, how do I put labels on my posts.

I'm thinking of changing the way Blackmailer is implemented here on Narrator. Currently it stops them from voting, and from talking. I did this because I didn't want any funky sort of communicating via votes, kind of how it is on the mod. (AKA spam voting)

However, this runs into the problem that mafia effectively remove a town vote from them and that's hella powerful.

The change I'm thinking of is to allow blackmailed people to vote, but it won't show up anywhere. Like votes to lynch won't change. It won't show when bmed people make votes. Etc.

Thoughts?

This sounds really janky. I don't know if I approve. BMer is one of those inherently flawed roles, where you can't change it too much or it will lose it's whole purpose.

Voss
July 22nd, 2018, 07:41 PM
This sounds really janky. I don't know if I approve. BMer is one of those inherently flawed roles, where you can't change it too much or it will lose it's whole purpose.

This is the point of the post! Talk to me about it.

I thought the original purpose (at least in the mod) was to stop people from communicating to other people in the game. Then we had that annoying vote spam, and if you were really clever, you could communicate to the blackmailed person by asking them questions with answers corresponding to how they voted.

I didn't like that in the narrator, so I made it so you also couldn't vote, not realizing how OP that was. It did solve the communication problem though.

So the next solution was to make them be able to vote, not talk, and have it just be hidden.

Looking for actual commentary though, and I think I've demonstrated that my current proposed solution is the best one with the problems mentioned.

Stealthbomber16
July 22nd, 2018, 07:57 PM
This is the point of the post! Talk to me about it.

I thought the original purpose (at least in the mod) was to stop people from communicating to other people in the game. Then we had that annoying vote spam, and if you were really clever, you could communicate to the blackmailed person by asking them questions with answers corresponding to how they voted.

I didn't like that in the narrator, so I made it so you also couldn't vote, not realizing how OP that was. It did solve the communication problem though.

So the next solution was to make them be able to vote, not talk, and have it just be hidden.

Looking for actual commentary though, and I think I've demonstrated that my current proposed solution is the best one with the problems mentioned.

I feel like you should be limiting the amount of times they can vote. This stops spam votes but still gives blackmailed target input in the daily discussion. Default of 4 seems about right IMO.

EDIT: This also has the effect of punishing town for being too passive about who to lynch.

Voss
July 23rd, 2018, 06:40 PM
I mean I can circumvent Blackmailer with two:

"Are you an investigative?, vote me rn"
"Oh you are, vote the person you have a guilty on, or unvote me if you have no one guilty".

If it's a top town read or something:
"Vote your gut guilty"

4 vote changes is the same as the above stated problem with the mod, just with less spam. It just eliminates spazztick plays.

What's wrong with a 'hidden' vote that gets revealed at day's end? What's janky about it?

SuperJack
July 24th, 2018, 12:41 AM
I agree with satelth. Have them silenced with a limites amount of vote.

Abraham Lincoln
July 24th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Thing is, it will instantly out, at EoD, that someone is blackmailed (potentially confirming them as non-Mafia).

Voss
July 25th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Thing is, it will instantly out, at EoD, that someone is blackmailed (potentially confirming them as non-Mafia).

Solution to that is to allow targeting of teammates/yourself. That was an easy one.

Stealth and Sj haven't really said but implied the following:
-we agree that the sPam meta sucks
-we acknowledge that the limited votes mechanic still allows a degree of communication that were okay with
-hidden vote up until EoD is bad for an unspecified reason.

Ganelon
July 25th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Solution to that is to allow targeting of teammates/yourself. That was an easy one.

-we acknowledge that the limited votes mechanic still allows a degree of communication that were okay with

Maybe have their vote register but be 'invisible', so to speak?

Ganelon
July 25th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Maybe have their vote register but be 'invisible', so to speak?
Something like this:

A, B, C, D, and (Unknown) voted X to be lynched. (at EoD)

Ganelon
July 25th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Best solution IMO. Missed that part. ignore my other posts.

Arsonist
February 5th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Yeee blackmailer chaged

Efekannn02
February 5th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Yeee blackmailer chaged

Thats Actually Sad I Liked Him/It/Her