PDA

View Full Version : Racism

ScottyZ
June 3rd, 2011, 12:17 AM
hello, just dropping in to say this is a really awesome mod and the gameplay is so addictive but i've noticed, and i'm sure u all do too, there is so much racist bs in this game. esp originating from the -names. i think 4 out 5 games it's nigger this, nigger that, or jews yadda.

can we remove them from the -name or something?

thanks

FalseTruth
June 3rd, 2011, 12:36 AM
I would prefer the game names be uncensored.
All of the racist names people are taking the risk of dying on night 1, so I don't think this is game-changing in anyway. It's not like they gain an unfair advantage. Also, if you host, you can disable picking names.

Honestly, I think this sort of thing only happens in public games, so I recommend avoiding publics if you are too offended.

Lysergic
June 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Agreed with False. If you notice, the majority of troll names (anything racist, anything involving Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber, anything involving Hitler) will either die night 1 or survive and be suspected as Mafia since they didn't die. You're screwing yourself over by picking an offensive name, and will end up sitting in dead-chat for most of the game.

I hate it when people insult Toyota Prius owners, but you don't see me rallying to get "FUCK THE PRIUS" banned as a username, do you?

P.S. that's going to be my username from now on, I think. xD

ScottyZ
June 3rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
u guys r both right but why tolerate it at all, or give it free turf esp when a little done can go a long ways

p.s. i seriously hope you don't regard racist bs and car banter at the same level ._."

Lysergic
June 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
I've been raised to regard them in the same manner. That's how my government regards them. The least popular speech is that which needs the most protection; freedom of speech isn't needed to protect things that are popular. It's the ugly stuff that no one wants to hear that needs protection. But that's just how I feel about free speech on a personal level. As far as the game goes... Just ignore it. Words only have power if you give them power.

The best solution to this problem is to ignore it and don't let it bother you. The people being racist in-game are painting themselves with a target, and will more often than not lose. By censoring them, you're only going to piss them off, and that will make it a bigger problem.

Styx
June 4th, 2011, 12:45 AM
If only there were a way to code the game to automatically kick morons from the lobby.

One can dream....

Deolrin
June 4th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I can't believe how much trouble people are having with 'offessive' names. It's like they're all new to the Internet, jeez.
People like that are all over the place. Just deal with it. If you REALLY hate them, try to kill the so called 'racist' people or make people lynch them.

EDIT: Lol I have a color. :D

monster
June 4th, 2011, 02:27 AM
People with the mentality of 12 year olds picking names like 'nigger' or 'hitler' isn't really racism. It is more of a 12-year-old-kids category. Welcome to teh Interwebz.

Cheekything
June 4th, 2011, 03:20 AM
You know the sooner people stop caring or start beating their children the soon it'll stop.

They just want the attention.

Clawtrocity
June 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM
The game has an option to not allow people to pick their own names and that's pretty much the best you're going to get.

McKinley
June 4th, 2011, 10:58 PM
(anything racist, anything involving Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber, anything involving Hitler)

I was named Justin Bieber, and survived a game of Mafia. Granted I was the Godfather, but still.

Lysergic
June 8th, 2011, 11:44 PM
(anything racist, anything involving Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber, anything involving Hitler)

I was named Justin Bieber, and survived a game of Mafia. Granted I was the Godfather, but still.

Exactly. When "Justin Bieber" survives past night 1, you know who the GF is. xD

Same with player color red and all other troll names. It's hilarious how often I can call a GF based on the fact that someone with a troll name / red color made it past night 1-2.

wightsnow
June 9th, 2011, 12:31 AM

Same with player color red and all other troll names. It's hilarious how often I can call a GF based on the fact that someone with a troll name / red color made it past night 1-2.

For that exact reason, I don't kill red until the very end.

Membrax
June 9th, 2011, 01:02 AM
hello, just dropping in to say this is a really awesome mod and the gameplay is so addictive but i've noticed, and i'm sure u all do too, there is so much racist bs in this game. esp originating from the -names. i think 4 out 5 games it's nigger this, nigger that, or jews yadda.

can we remove them from the -name or something?

thanks

Welcome To The Internet.

Zippy
June 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM

When I play doc, by default I protect red on night 1. If there is a troll like a Rebecca Black or Bieber, etc. I will protect them instead. Racist type names get no protection.