PDA

View Full Version : Limiting role on Vigilantes

Nameless
April 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if maybe there could be a rule in Vigilantes to prevent night 1 kills from them. Often bad vigilantes ruin the game with their night 1 kills hitting someone useful. Just wondering what you guys thought of this?

Eldrazor
April 16th, 2011, 08:41 AM
An optional rule that is on by default. Sometimes if you go day first you might have a clue of who is a bad guy in the first night.

Omgproberush
April 16th, 2011, 09:08 AM
They just have to learn to not be dumb. Can't make a rule to prevent every stupid action.

Eldrazor
April 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
They just have to learn to not be dumb. Can't make a rule to prevent every stupid action.
Right, we want to wait before thousands of people have learned not to be dumb, which will 9/10 not happen because you can't make dumb people smart and it will take some games before people get the game completely and get good (non-dumb) at it.
Let's just make it an option.

Trenix
April 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I think day 1 lynching is far worse than a vigilante accidentally killing an innocent player.

Nameless
April 16th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think day 1 lynching is far worse than a vigilante accidentally killing an innocent player.

I agree. Both need to be fixed :)

Trenix
April 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I agree. Both need to be fixed :)

I disagree with both. During the voting phase, a newb can easily alter everyone's possible assumptions. If a vigilante kills someone, no one knows who did it, therefore it doesn't cause a big confusion that is unnecessary.

Faceless
April 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Day 1 lynching and day 1 vigi killing should remain how they are. Both of those things can be really stupid sometimes but they play essential parts in some games.

Sometimes a vigi will "accidentally" kill a mafia, or will have a real idea of who the bad guy is. Maybe a consort will block him and realize there was no vigi killing that night, thus allowing the consort to know who the vigi is. I think if you take one thing apart, even with good reason, it could cause other parts to also fall to pieces.

First lynchings should stay. They're a good test of trust for some people. If someone has a defense that YOU know is extremely compelling and YOU believe they're innocent, you can pick out who the REAL bad guys are by looking at the guilty votes. Lynches don't always result in a death, which is the beauty of them.

Trenix
April 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
First lynchings should stay. They're a good test of trust for some people. If someone has a defense that YOU know is extremely compelling and YOU believe they're innocent, you can pick out who the REAL bad guys are by looking at the guilty votes. Lynches don't always result in a death, which is the beauty of them.

There are some players who don't have a good understanding of the game. We consider them newbs. Unlike the original game, we will have players who have never experienced this game before or know anything about it what-so-ever. Therefore, DR should act upon it accordingly. If a new event pops up, such as the voting system, they will feel as if they're required to vote. While it's not such a problem with the vigilante because it's always anonymous; voting is hardly ever anonymous. This usually breaks the game with false accusations and the mafia in favor.

Fro
April 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
A lot of those seem cool, but I think too many roles will cause the game to become hard to pick up for newer players, and also just plain confusing remembering all the different kinds of classes. I do think the town needs a leader though, like a judge (as said before) or a mayor even.

Eldrazor
April 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
A lot of those seem cool, but I think too many roles will cause the game to become hard to pick up for newer players, and also just plain confusing remembering all the different kinds of classes.
That's exactly why there is a 'Help' button in the top left corner of the screen that shows you what roles are in the game and what they can do.

I think it should be an additional option to disable day 1 lynchings and night 1 vigilante shots. Then everyone is happy!

peacekeeper
April 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think if vigilantes had one kill by default they would put a hell of a lot more thought into who is mafia instead of shooting the guy with a name they dislike.

Faceless
April 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I think if vigilantes had one kill by default they would put a hell of a lot more thought into who is mafia instead of shooting the guy with a name they dislike.

Actually, they'd probably still shoot the first person they didn't like. People are usually ignorant and won't notice they only have one shot.

I usually limit vigis to 2 kills total in my games.

Wabuffett
April 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I don't care enough to debate the relative merits of vig limitations, but I'll note that I've seen it elsewhere where a vig can kill only on even nights. It would solve some problems while adding others.