PDA

View Full Version : Home Page Organization

Cryptonic
February 4th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Hello,

I am currently testing some things to change the navigableness of the Home Page.
This will be a lot of work to do it all, so I don't want to jump in with both feet and have people not enjoy it or it being troublesome to use.

I have currently only processed it for the Forum Mafia section, but the idea would be for every section.
I will also be looking into exchanging the "Link" picture beside the forums to the Hats so that the look remains the same.

What this change is ultimately doing is creating a set of links that redirect you to the hidden subforum with the same name.
The ultimate end-game for a change like this would be to have the homepage only have a few links (one to each Forum), like General Discussion, Narrator, Sc2 Mafia, and Forum Mafia. This is so the home page is a lot less cluttered.

One negative outcome of this is that you cannot see "New Posts" in a section until you actually click on a link. To counter that, I will be creating new "New Post" Blocks on the homepage, one for each section. So you can scroll down and be like "Let's see if there are any new Sc2 Mafia posts.", and all the latest will be there for you.

I do worry that this will create too many "clicks" for a user to have to navigate through, but I think it would also make more sense to people visiting the site for the first time.
So, please, let me have your honest feedback. I know that change is not usually accepted with open arms, so I am posting this expecting to receive complaints. I hope that we can address the complaints and come to a solution that fixes the complaint, but still moves us forward towards better organization.

Tossangel
February 4th, 2017, 08:17 AM
I would like to see the most used sections of the forum able to be seen without scrolling down. However, only showing the forum title and having to click for any other content would not be ideal IMO. In the Mafia section, I would like to see a new clan forum seen without an additional click as well as the reports section. It would be nice to have Forum Mafia first, then Mafia, then the Meeting Hall section in that order.

SuperJack
February 4th, 2017, 08:29 AM
I would highly recommend cresting test/example page so that people can chip in before its set as the main page.

SuperJack
February 4th, 2017, 08:32 AM
What would be quite neat. Is to change how reports are created.
Have a button link that says something Report a Player
Have the template already implemented one they click that link, so all they need to do is add the information and replay.
Also make the links URL www.sc2mafia.com/report
So that we can just link it to players easily.

This way, creating reports are much easier to do, and less likely to be missing information.

Cryptonic
February 4th, 2017, 08:42 AM
What would be quite neat. Is to change how reports are created.
Have a button link that says something Report a Player
Have the template already implemented one they click that link, so all they need to do is add the information and replay.
Also make the links URL www.sc2mafia.com/report
So that we can just link it to players easily.

This way, creating reports are much easier to do, and less likely to be missing information.

Yea, I had requested something similar to this: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/whitelist.php

For reports a while ago. But was told that making a thread is just as easy, iuno lol

Cryptonic
February 4th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I would highly recommend cresting test/example page so that people can chip in before its set as the main page.

Well you can't do that, because only the home page was the nav-bar on the right hand side with the New Post blocks. So it wouldn't be exactly how it would look. It would literally just be 4/5 links on main page, that's it + Blocks.

Forum Mafia has been temporarily changes to reflect how it could look.

Otherwise, we can just break down each section into like.. Max 4 subforums and go from there.

SuperJack
February 4th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Yea, I had requested something similar to this: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/whitelist.php

For reports a while ago. But was told that making a thread is just as easy, iuno lol

Well making reports is easy. But it can be made easier. Just takes a little work to make it.

Cryptonic
February 4th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Well making reports is easy. But it can be made easier. Just takes a little work to make it.

Yea people shouldn't have to look up each time now to make one. If it's just fill in a box, anyone can do it.

Stealthbomber16
February 4th, 2017, 10:48 AM
You should put in FM C3KO notes under the FM :wm: