PDA

View Full Version : Role Suggestion - Gary the Caterpillar

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I thought of this role to go along with an M-FM I wanted to host. It's kind of a cross between jailor and serial killer and I think it would be fun to play as. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Name: Devourer (formerly Gary the Caterpillar)

Alignment: Neutral - Evil

Win Condition: Live to see the town dead. Can win with the mafia.

Ability: Gary can ingest a player every night. The ingested player cannot perform any night actions or talk in day chat and will stay in Gary's stomach until Gary decides what to do with him. The ingested player and Gary can talk to each other at any time (day and night). Other FM players should be on the look out for people who have stopped speaking as they might have been ingested. If an ingested player is lynched, Gary will quickly regurgitate him and push him out in front of the crowd so that he can be killed. If Gary is lynched, the ingested player is cut out of his stomach and survives.

Gary can choose to regurgitate his victim at any time (day or night). The player is released and allowed to carry on with the game. Gary may want to do this, as he would be able to threaten the player with death unless the player carries out Gary’s commands or the ingested player is part of the mafia who he wants to survive.

Gary can choose to digest his victim at night. This would kill the player, ignoring all invulnerability. The death would be announced to town but the name and role of the dead player wouldn't be.

If Gary is attacked at night (or shot by the vigi during the day), the player he has ingested will die instead. If Gary has no player ingested or is attacked twice, he will be killed.

wolfcheese
December 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I like this idea, but I think the role should have a different goal. Right now he has too much incentive just to digest everyone. Maybe he could be like the witch: survive and see the mafia win (or maybe see the town win)

Ash
December 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
This is a pretty beast role, but it seems a bit difficult to win as.
I have an obvious derp question I'm not sure of.. He can digest as many people as he wants right?

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I like this idea, but I think the role should have a different goal. Right now he has too much incentive just to digest everyone. Maybe he could be like the witch: survive and see the mafia win (or maybe see the town win)

I don't see him as a town favourable role but your probably right that he doesn't have much incentive to regurgitate people as it is. A witch-like win condition could be the best thing for him.

I have an obvious derp question I'm not sure of.. He can digest as many people as he wants right?

Yes, he is a very hungry caterpillar after all. He is probably easier to win as than the SK as he can kill every night (except for the 1st one) and has additional abilities.

BorkBot
December 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Not knowing if one or more players are still alive or not seems a bit pointless, because you have to declare how many votes are required anyway and that information can be used to determine if someone was digested. I think it'd be better if they appear dead, but cleaned like a janitor.

It doesn't really make sense that someone is swallowed but nobody will notice that they are missing either. Just a thought, you may want to report someone who was swallowed as "missing" at the start of the day. They can't talk or vote and they are considered dead for purposes of deciding the required number of votes to lynch. They also can't be targeted at night by other players and they can't be lynched by other players. This allows Gary to act as a protector (mainly a protector of neutrals) as well as a killer.

If he can ingest multiple people at once, he doesn't need a witch win condition.

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Not knowing if one or more players are still alive or not seems a bit pointless, because you have to declare how many votes are required anyway and that information can be used to determine if someone was digested. I think it'd be better if they appear dead, but cleaned like a janitor.

It doesn't really make sense that someone is swallowed but nobody will notice that they are missing either. Just a thought, you may want to report someone who was swallowed as "missing" at the start of the day. They can't talk or vote and they are considered dead for purposes of deciding the required number of votes to lynch. They also can't be targeted at night by other players and they can't be lynched by other players. This allows Gary to act as a protector (mainly a protector of neutrals) as well as a killer.

If he can ingest multiple people at once, he doesn't need a witch win condition.

Your right about the unannounced player death, the host would have to say there was a death to tell the players how many votes are needed to lynch. However I still think it might be a good idea for the dead player's name and role not to be revealed so town will have to work out who died for themselves. ??? would be in the graveyard.

When someone is ingested I think the host should announce a player is missing and adjust the amount of votes to lynch like you said but the name of the missing player should not be revealed. I like the idea that the town will have to try and find the missing player. This will allow people to falsely claim being ingested instead of giving town a list of all the players that couldn't possibly be the caterpillar (due to them being ingested before). It could also be hard for town to differentiate between lurkers and Gary's victims as someone could pretend to be dead or ingested so that the town does not notice them. I want Gary's victim to be able to be lynched as the fact that he is not talking makes him suspicious. Town will have to figure out who is really ingested and who is faking when they vote to lynch. Being Gary's victim should not prevent town from lynching a known mafia imo.

If someone targets an ingested player it would tell them that the player is missing and no night action will be used. Good town players should have worked out this person was ingested and would not waste a night on him. Targeting an ingested player would give the PR definitive proof that their target has been ingested and are not just faking it. If their night action works on a previously ingested player then they will know that they have been regurgitated for some reason and are probably bad news for town.

I don't want him ingesting multiple people at once because that would leave too many people out of action. The witch-like win condition is to give gary a reason to regurgitate players and not just to make it easier for him. Otherwise he would have no reason not to digest everyone as he wants everyone dead to win. This would turn him into an SK that can privately chat with his target and the role would lose some of its uniqueness.

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
This allows Gary to act as a protector (mainly a protector of neutrals) as well as a killer.

This gave me an idea. Instead of gary being invulnerable at night he could instead sacrifice the player he has ingested to defend himself. So if he is attacked the ingested player would be killed instead of him (the attacker would stab or shoot the ingested player through Gary's stomach and would protect Gary from most of the damage).

EDIT: If another player dies rather than the attacker's target, it would not necessarily give Gary away as BDs and witches need to be taken into account.

Ash
December 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
ik im going to say this again but this role sounds cool, successful role alert!!!!

edit: i think it may be a bit OP if they all are sanitized or missing, since Gary can kill every night except n1. thats just my thought.

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
ik im going to say this again but this role sounds cool, successful role alert!!!!

edit: i think it may be a bit OP if they all are sanitized or missing, since Gary can kill every night except n1. thats just my thought.

In my M-FM setup idea I had him ingesting every other night as there was another powerful neutral in that game. I agree that there would probably be too much people missing so might change him back to ingesting every other night. Thanks.

Ash
December 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
In my M-FM setup idea I had him ingesting every other night as there was another powerful neutral in that game. I agree that there would probably be too much people missing so might change him back to ingesting every other night. Thanks.

There's other options too, you can.
A) Make him have a few sanitize abilities like a normal Janitor.
B) Leave him how he is with infinity sanitizes but in a game where there's coroners, would be kinda fun I think.

About the missing people thing, I'm not sure how it would work out but I guess it would be interesting.

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
There's other options too, you can.
A) Make him have a few sanitize abilities like a normal Janitor.
B) Leave him how he is with infinity sanitizes but in a game where there's coroners, would be kinda fun I think.

About the missing people thing, I'm not sure how it would work out but I guess it would be interesting.

Both good ideas. I think I like B the most as it could make the coroner very important with the amount of people that will be sanitized. It would also make the coroner have think more as they would have to try and figure out who the dead people are in order to check them. I don't think it would be that hard to find the missing people but it's just an extra thing to think about and allows for people faking their own deaths which should be interesting.

BorkBot
December 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
This gave me an idea. Instead of gary being invulnerable at night he could instead sacrifice the player he has ingested to defend himself. So if he is attacked the ingested player would be killed instead of him (the attacker would stab or shoot the ingested player through Gary's stomach and would protect Gary from most of the damage).

Nice twist. I like it.

I don't want him ingesting multiple people at once because that would leave too many people out of action
Sorry, I must've misunderstood your answer to the question asked by Ash. (can he ingest as many people as he wants?)

But why would Gary ever use sanitise if it wasn't forced? If you leave people on the living townies list, you know even less. It's not like you know their role when they remain listed as living. I'd still prefer it if digested people were just listed as dead. Your role though :)

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM
But why would Gary ever use sanitise if it wasn't forced? If you leave people on the living townies list, you know even less. It's not like you know their role when they remain listed as living. I'd still prefer it if digested people were just listed as dead. Your role though :)

Gary could want to sanitise people so the town will be more confused and he has more roles at his disposal to claim. The idea is that he would talk with the ingested player to figure out his role (he probably has an idea what their role might be from day chat as well). The ingested player will likely be doing all he can to be regurgitated and that may include saying his role and how he can be useful to Gary. I agree that there might be times where Gary would like more info on his target's role but he will have to sanatise him regardless. This could be a disadvantage to Gary but that is part of the role.

I really like the idea that people will have to work out who is dead, can fake being dead etc. but if people think that they should be listed then I'd be fine with that.

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
An interesting thing the ingested player could do is claim mafia or neutral to Gary. Gary wants to kill the town while keeping the mafia alive so like a reverse jailor he needs to figure out whether they are mafia or not and execute or free them accordingly. If he ingests a mafia player then they could discuss tactics and plans together. If he ingests a neutral role Gary should be able to control them by putting the fear of death into them. He could give the witch it's targets or tell an amnesiac to change into a mafia role for instance. This makes it important to work out who Gary regurgitates because they are probably unfriendly to town.

Luna
December 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Weirdly enough, Gary the Caterpillar has NO relevance to the absolutely bonkers theme Kromos has in mind ^^ He is just Gary, the Caterpillar man, who randomly exists.

Kromos
December 18th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Weirdly enough, Gary the Caterpillar has NO relevance to the absolutely bonkers theme Kromos has in mind ^^ He is just Gary, the Caterpillar man, who randomly exists.

I don't think there can be any logical explanation for a giant man-eating Caterpillar man named Gary :|

Capitalier
December 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I don't think there can be any logical explanation for a giant man-eating Caterpillar man named Gary :|

My name isn't Gary.

TheJackofSpades
December 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I thought of this role to go along with an M-FM I wanted to host. It's kind of a cross between jailor and serial killer and I think it would be fun to play as. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Name: Gary the Caterpillar
Alignment: Neutral
Ability: Gary can ingest a player every night. The ingested player cannot perform any night actions or talk in day chat and will stay in Gary's stomach until Gary decides what to do with him. The ingested player and Gary can talk to each other at any time (day and night). Other FM players should be on the look out for people who have stopped speaking as they might have been ingested. If an ingested player is lynched, Gary will quickly regurgitate him and push him out in front of the crowd so that he can be killed. If Gary is lynched, the ingested player is cut out of his stomach and survives.

Gary can choose to regurgitate his victim at any time (day or night). The player is released and allowed to carry on with the game. Gary may want to do this, as he would be able to threaten the player with death unless the player carries out Gary’s commands or the ingested player is part of the mafia who he wants to survive.

Gary can choose to digest his victim at night. This would kill the player, ignoring all invulnerability. The death would be announced to town but the name and role of the dead player wouldn't be.

If Gary is attacked at night (or shot by the vigi during the day), the player he has ingested will die instead. If Gary has no player ingested or is attacked twice, he will be killed.

Gary wants to see the town dead and can win with the mafia.

I thought of another special neutral to go into my M-FM if I were to host one and might post that later. Luna knows all this anyway.
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8nvh8vIWZ1qzmowao1_500.jpg

CmG
December 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM
See what OP Jailers do to people!? It's not even funny anymore ;_; Curse you Luna!

Dust
December 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
See what OP Jailers do to people!? It's not even funny anymore ;_; Curse you Luna!
*Ahem*
I was the OP jailor. Luna made the role options. I made it OP.

CmG
December 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM
*Ahem*
I was the OP jailor. Luna made the role options. I made it OP.

cool story bro

philie
December 19th, 2011, 03:02 AM
make him win alone and maybe it's reasonable.
having this dude mafia aligned is op as fuck

Kromos
December 19th, 2011, 03:35 AM
make him win alone and maybe it's reasonable.
having this dude mafia aligned is op as fuck

Doesn't being OP depend on the setup that he is in? If there were an appropriate number of town against him he wouldn't be OP.

It won't be as if Gary is the fourth mafia member as he could hinder them a lot. Almost everyone will claim mafia while inside him. Because of this it would be hard for Gary to co-ordinate with the mafia as he doesn't know whether they are lying to save themselves or are really mafia. Gary could kill a mafia member if he believed they were town and ingesting mafia members also hinders the mafia because it is a role block.

How well Gary works with the mafia all depends on the skill of the player.

J
December 20th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I love this concept! Go Gary :)

Definitely yes.

Ash
December 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Suggestion: change the name to....
GARY THE SNAIL

Kromos
January 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
The role is now called Devourer.

Gary's just for RP purposes :D

McJesus
January 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM
seems a little bit overpowered to me, I would get rid of the whole victims taking the bullet for the devourer and replace it with the devourer dying and the ingested member being freed or both of them dying and then it would be more balanced

wolfcheese
January 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
McPwnage just inspired another suggestion from me: if he ingests? or digests? (digests is probably more fair) a killing role, the killer shoots his way out and the devourer dies. It would give the devourer a reason to be careful about who he eats. :)

Kromos
January 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I made a new thread about this on the M-FM Parking forum with some changes, if you want to read that :P

kiranearitachi
January 16th, 2012, 05:29 PM
This would be a cool role. would give town something else to worry about.