PDA

View Full Version : My chosen theme for Forum Mafia

Zack
December 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'm seriously considering hosting this one, though I will need a co-host as it will take alot of work. And yes, i'm aware of the long waiting list, heh

Anyway, the theme is Requiem for the Phantom, an anime I have watched recently (that involves mafia) which has inspired this particularly irregular setup...

This game will have no town, no standard scumhunting. Instead there are several mafia families with a Godfather who is like the "Mayor" of the mafia, and a cult leader who's recruits have the potential to turn into unstoppable killers given certain conditions are met. Keep in mind this is designed to be a long game, longer than what we are used to.

Another unique feature to this game is a funding system for the mafia families. Unlike in normal games the mafia won't be able to kill unless they first aquire enough funding to do so. They are also able to recruit extra members from among the citizens with even more funding. Each person in the game will gain 10 funds each day, except for certain roles who will gain more. Members of the mafia can raid and steal those funds to add to the pool of their own group in order to enable killing or recruiting.

Each member of a group has a choice of abilities to use: Raid, Kill, Guard or Recruit.
Raid = Steal the funds stored by your target at night. This also technically provides information, since the number of points you get will give a hint to your target's role.
Kill = Requires 100 funds to perform, funds will be spent even if the kill fails. Killing does not involve raiding, a dead target's funds will be destroyed unless raided that same night.
Guard = Costs 10 funds, you will act as a bodyguard to a member of your group (you choose). When guarding you will shoot anyone attempting to raid and kill them, if your target is attacked you will die while killing the attacker - unless it was a phantom in which case you will just die.
Recruit = Requires a full bank of funds to perform. The full bank sum depends on the number of members in your team (including the leader), each member can store up to a 100 funds, so if you have 4 members the full bank is 400 funds.

If a rival mafia member is the target of your Raid action, you will steal a portion of his group's fundings calculated as such: [Group sum of funds] / [Number of group members]. So if they are 3 members in their group and they have 150 funds, you will steal 50 funds that night. Be aware that your target will be informed of which group raided them, but not of the exact person who did it.

Funds spent will not detract from the group's total number of aquired funds, for the reason stated below.

Standard win condition for mafia families: Have the highest number of total funds aquired throughout the game when the game reaches its conclusion. In other words, it is imperative to spend funds as soon as possible so they cannot be stolen from you.

Underhanded win condition: If one group has over 50% of the total aquired funds by all families that group will be able to kill and overthrow the Godfather - if they choose to do so it will end the game immidiatley.

Domination win condition: If one group has 10 members and have filled their bank to its maximum, 1000 funds, they can then execute the Godfather and take over. This ends the game too.

Conquest win condition: If all leaders but one have been killed, then the remaining group will be able to kill the Godfather and end the game.

Requeim for the Phantom: This is the proper end to the game, following triggered game events that lead to the rise of the "cult leader" and his army of phantoms. Killing him will end the game, unless he kills everyone else first...

The Blood Bath: This will occur if the "cult leader" prevails over his rebels and orders a kill on the Godfather during the "Grand Finale" phase. If this happens there will be no more playing nice, the funding system will be disabled and everyone will be able to kill at will. Recruitments will be turned off too - for everyone! It will then turn into a game of survival, the last group alive will win.

The phases of the game that lead to the Requiem for the Phantom ending:
"Ein" (game begins)
"Zwei"
"Betrayal"
"Drei"
"Karma"
"Grand Finale"
"Requiem for the Phantom" (game ends)

A few roles for example:

Witness: All citizens in the game have the ability of a Lookout, the actual role name is Witness. The value of each witness is determined by the information he or she puts on the table during the day. Example: "I know who visited x last night". Use this as leverage to be recruited into the various groups, though this might get you killed instead. You can just survive until the end and you will win, but it will be boring won't it?

Raymond McGuire: The head of inferno and the one who calls the shots, essentially the one true Godfather. He is neutral in the way that he wishes to maintain an equilibrium of power between the sub-groups within Inferno, so that none of them would overthrow him.
Ability: Invite a member of any family for a 1on1 night chat, effectively "jailing" them and keeping them from acting for that night. This is actually very detrimental for the game. He does not have the ability to execute anyone though, he is neutral and thus does not kill. He has immunity against most attacks.
Win condition: Survive until the end, and no - this won't be a simple task.

Mafia Boss: Each head of a group is its leader, and should be protected by his underlings. The leader can act the same way as his team at night, or go on alert to defend himself against standard attacks, not phantoms. If the leader is killed the sub-group will disperse and lose the game unless they worm their way into another group somehow before the end is reached.

Freelancer: A member of a mafia group that lost its leader, can raid to gain fundings up to 100, or use the ability of a witness instead. Must be recruited into a new group in order to be able to win.

Dormant Phantom: Witness that has been recruited by Scythe Master (the "cult leader"), has no abilities until the "Grand Finale" where s/he will become a true Phantom. Can be killed by any attack prior to the "Grand Finale".

Phantom: An assasin trained solely for the purpose of killing others. Can pierce the immunity of mafia bosses on alert. Can kill McGuire by cooperating with 4 other phantoms, but only if all three rebel phantoms: Ein, Zwei and Drei are dead. Will kill any witnesses who detect their kills, will kill any other non-phantom roles who visit their target as well - regardless of their action, even if they were also sent to kill. Phantoms are immune to mafia attacks and are only vulnerable to attacks by the rebel phantoms. Can act as bodyguards for Scythe, in which case they will die defending him. Will return into their dormant state if Scythe is killed and will lose the game.

Ein: The first phantom, she is Scythe's slave and must do his bidding. Will lose the game if she remains his slave, must trigger game events in order to reach the "Grand Finale" and be able to kill Scythe once and for all.

Zwei: The second phantom. The first witness to detect Ein's kill will transform into Zwei and become aligned with her, and also a slave of Scythe. Must trigger game events along with Ein.

Drei: The third phantom. After the events of "Betrayal" are triggered, the first witness who has detected a kill on a member of the Godoh family will become Drei. Drei is a dormant phantom until the event "Karma" is triggered.

Families:
The Bloodies, led by Isaac Wisemel
The Godoh Family, led by Daisuke Godoh (after "Betrayal" will align with Claudia, his death triggers "Karma")
Toru Shiga (aligned with Daisuke until "Karma" is triggered, then the Godoh family will split from Claudia's group and Shiga will take over as the leader)
Claudia McCunnen (Scythe is aligned with her until "Betrayal" is triggered, she will become a lone survivor after "Karma")
Lizzie Garland (aligned with Claudia until "Karma" is triggered, then she takes over as the leader of this group)
The Stones, led by Tony Stone

There is more to be explained about this setup of course, but i'd like to see how much interest this has before delving further into the details. This is extremely diffrent from any game of mafia thus far, heh, it might not even be called Mafia. Still, this could be a very interesting mutation of mafia to play... What do you think?

Deathfire123
December 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Looks interesting but hard to pull off. A lot of people requires a lot of memory. And we dont want apathy to spread in this game

FalseTruth
December 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
M-FM limit is going to be capped at 20. A guidelines post will clarify. Rev still needs to make a separate board, but as always he is a lazy motherfucker.

TheJackofSpades
December 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I remember a time when Forum Mafia was about mafia.

Deathfire123
December 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I remember a time when Forum Mafia was about mafia.

this made me lol

Ubernox
December 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I hate anime, but this setup looks nice, if slightly tipped on the complicated side. I'll be sure to sign up.

Zack
December 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
@False: This is not for M-FM, for this one to work it has to have alot of participants.

@Jack: This is still about mafia, why not say something relevant?

TheJackofSpades
December 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM
@False: This is not for M-FM, for this one to work it has to have alot of participants.

@Jack: This is still about mafia, why not say something relevant?

This game will have no town, no standard scumhunting. Instead there are several mafia families with a Godfather who is like the "Mayor" of the mafia, and a cult leader who's recruits have the potential to turn into unstoppable killers given certain conditions are met. Keep in mind this is designed to be a long game, longer than what we are used to.

Another unique feature to this game is a funding system for the mafia families. Unlike in normal games the mafia won't be able to kill unless they first aquire enough funding to do so. They are also able to recruit extra members from among the citizens with even more funding. Each person in the game will gain 10 funds each day, except for certain roles who will gain more. Members of the mafia can raid and steal those funds to add to the pool of their own group in order to enable killing or recruiting.

Each member of a group has a choice of abilities to use: Raid, Kill, Guard or Recruit.
Raid = Steal the funds stored by your target at night. This also technically provides information, since the number of points you get will give a hint to your target's role.
Kill = Requires 100 funds to perform, funds will be spent even if the kill fails. Killing does not involve raiding, a dead target's funds will be destroyed unless raided that same night.
Guard = Costs 10 funds, you will act as a bodyguard to a member of your group (you choose). When guarding you will shoot anyone attempting to raid and kill them, if your target is attacked you will die while killing the attacker - unless it was a phantom in which case you will just die.
Recruit = Requires a full bank of funds to perform. The full bank sum depends on the number of members in your team (including the leader), each member can store up to a 100 funds, so if you have 4 members the full bank is 400 funds.

If a rival mafia member is the target of your Raid action, you will steal a portion of his group's fundings calculated as such: [Group sum of funds] / [Number of group members]. So if they are 3 members in their group and they have 150 funds, you will steal 50 funds that night. Be aware that your target will be informed of which group raided them, but not of the exact person who did it.

Funds spent will not detract from the group's total number of aquired funds, for the reason stated below.

Standard win condition for mafia families: Have the highest number of total funds aquired throughout the game when the game reaches its conclusion. In other words, it is imperative to spend funds as soon as possible so they cannot be stolen from you.
The fuck does any of this shit have to do with Mafia, exactly?

Zack
December 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM
The game has elements from the mafia game. How can you not see that? This fund system is essentially "investigating" while building up in order to kill or recruit. This is a mafia mutation, it is very diffrent from the actual game but is still similar to it. There will be WIFOM and there will be discrediting, plots and schemes, and lots of lies.

A big idea behind it is that some of the most important roles are not randomed at the beginning, but won by resourceful, and perhaps lucky, players.

I said myself that this might not even be called mafia. That is irrelevant however, where do you see the rule that states that only standard mafia games are to be played on this forum? I asked what people think of this idea, if it will be fun. Why not answer that? Wait, actually don't, you're biased so it won't be an honest answer.

TheJackofSpades
December 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm biased towards what, exactly?

Setups that are convoluted and barely resemble the game they are intended to represent?

Seriously, I think we should all realize at this point that straying too far away from the core of the game is disastrous for everyone involved.

You're too caught up in thinking I'm out to get you to realize the point I'm trying to get across.

Luna
December 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Seriously, I think we should all realize at this point that straying too far away from the core of the game is disastrous for everyone involved.

QFT, this is something I agree with.

I do like your suggestion a lot, but I'll have to re-read it after some more normal FM (because I'm too biased coming off FMVI).

Zack
December 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Keep in mind that we will have a whole lot of standard FM's coming, if and when i'l be able to host this setup people will probably want a break from the standard setups and will be willing to try something diffrent. There's no harm in this really o.o

I know DR's game didn't turn out so well, yet I still think experiments are fun and should not be discarded.

Luna
December 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Which is why I look forward to re-reading it, it's late here and my eyes are droopy.

Also I'm pretty crap at reading long things when japanese names are involved (I know most names aren't japanese, but rename 'Toru Shiga' to 'Dave the Plumber' please)

Zack
December 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM
lol... I'l change his name to Bob the Builder, or Barney the Freak. Nah, i'l just think of something, though I think most people don't have issues with japanese names ;o

What will you do if you ever visit japan?

Luna
December 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I lived in China for a month, I'd manage, though Chinese names > Japanese names any day :P

Zane
December 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Give us an example!

Nick
December 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Why don't you test the waters with M-FM first?

Luna
December 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Why don't you test the waters with M-FM first?

Seems like it supports a larger and longer framework, M-FM are small and quicker

Luna
December 16th, 2011, 08:32 AM
It also has so many new elements which rely on each other that it seems difficult to tone down and only experiment with one or two

Nick
December 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Not everyone will like experimental FMs, however good the setup may be. Announce the setup beforehand and choose the participants wisely. If you want your FM to have a lot of RP and minimal trolling, do inform us also. And please give us time to read and think through the rules.

Should we create another FM called experimental FM? Games made of multiple shades of gray. Or different rainbow colors.

@Luna
Yeah. It seemed awfully complicated. Then again, I suppose multiple test runs on different combinations of elements might work.

Nick
December 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I suggest a poll to gauge the interest level. But I don't know what questions to ask. More worthy individuals should take up this task.

Zack
December 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Added a poll.

There can be trolling in this game, but it won't serve you well if you're a witness. Those who troll will be looked upon as people with something to hide, so decide for yourself if its wise to do so.

CmG
December 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM
666 zack! u gluttony evil sob! I vote with u!

HIGHWAY TOO HELL!!!!!!! >:D

Zack
December 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM
lol... no more 666 now.

CmG
December 16th, 2011, 12:36 PM
oh sorry then i change the vote back my fault.

Sumikoko
December 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Just got done re-reading it again. When you said "events," it made me think of those moe moe VN's lol. Not that I've played any, but they're shown in animes quite often.
I'm all for an FM with an anime theme. Or a theme that I can somewhat relate to. I don't see the reasoning behind not supporting this other than if there were balancing issues or things like that. And even those can be ironed out somehow. Not liking Pepsi doesn't mean you can't serve it at a party, right? (Okay, that analogy was a stretch.)
Just two conflicting thoughts though.
1. The mechanics look reeeeally complicated. If anything, this is going to turn into a FMVI where half the population doesn't understand how the game works. And seeing as a lot of people play M-FM's to "test the waters," if you will, for the major FM, not sure how it'll work out.
2. You mentioned these "events" that trigger to the next thing. The only problem I see with that is the unpredictability of FM's. With FMVI, Judas wasn't even recruited. So the fact that he was supposed to betray Jesus never happened like it says in actual Bible because the Angels never recruited him. So your plot might not quite work as you had imagined if screwy things happen.

Zack
December 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Oh there will be failsafes for that. Ein and Zwei will be working behind the scenes to trigger these events, because it is their victory condition. Yes, they will be betraying their teams constantly, because that is what they must do to win, they are only loyal to each other and even that can change in the finale.

Edit: Also, the game can be over with a mafia family victory over McGuire before these events are fully triggrered. This means there are 2 others who want these events to trigger: McGuire and Scythe. Both will lose if they don't help Ein and Zwei to move things along, and McGuire technically needs their help in order to secure a win for himself.

The victory conditions were mostly what was misunderstood in FMVI, I think i've made those very clear in this setup. Though events will change things around and that can be confusing, i'l explain everything in detail when the time comes, if it comes, heh

@CmG: Your voting habits are questionable 0.o

Zack
December 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Quite alot of views, yet so few votes... I see certain people have avoided voting in here altogether, for what reasons I can only guess, but its probably not because they hate this idea.

Perhaps making it a public pole makes some overly concerned for their reputation people afraid to vote? I think i'l bring this up again with an annonymus poll in the future, after some more FM's are behind us.