PDA

View Full Version : M-FM I Signups

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
A common theme suggested on these forums is for a turbo or mini forum mafia game. Regular FM is fantastic, but it's a challenge to host. So many players are involved, and it requires a great deal of preparation in terms of forum administration alone. Subforums have to be created, usergroups changed, all the night actions need to be logged. A lot of effort is put in when preparing FM games, as hosts have to write the stories, answer questions and create the atmosphere.

Since it gets suggested a lot but no one attempts it, I thought I would create the very first Mini-Forum Mafia game! M-FM for short, it is designed to fit around the regular FM and not detract from it. It will not count towards the point aggregate, it won't have a dedicated forum, and it won't use anonymous accounts.

Why play? Well there are many reasons;

a) It's Mafia. We're on this forum because we love DR's SC2 Mafia. This is the middle-ground between SC2 Mafia and Forum Mafia.

b) It's quick. Short list of players, meaning more immediate results.

c) Didn't get into the latest FM? Did you die early? Looking for another challenge while you wait for the next FM to start? Got you covered.

d) Newer player? Get some experience in a FM environment which won't last for weeks, and some practice with different roles.

Each day will last 24 hours at most. Plenty of time for most to get in good discussion and a lynch without it dragging too much. Night-time will last 24 hours or until all actions are submitted. Again, less time spent doing nothing for most players.

16 players. 1 Mafia team. 1 Neutral killer. Simple setup.

Each Day and Night cycle will take place in a single thread – it's about the minimum amount needed to have a clean and cohesive game of Mafia without cluttering up the boards with useless topics.

I have night chat covered, if you are a role/faction that needs night chat it will be covered in your role PM.

This is not designed as a contender to regular FM. These games should provide a good scope for analytical thinking and a place to try out new strategies, but also stay action-packed. I'm sure we all enjoy getting to go over posts in minute detail, but sometimes we just want quick days and discussion and less Citizens.

I'm also hoping this begins a trend. This will require less turnaround time to set up and host, and if you want to prove you can host a full FM game then you have an outlet to do so if this template works out.

Since we have a graveyard full of the dead in our current FM, the action possibly drawing to a close and the next FM a little while away, I think this is a good opportunity to tide us over. The game will probably only last 8-9 irl days; so if we start soon we'll overlap with the end of FMVI and probably finish around the beginning of FMVIII (so whoever wants to host M-FM II can do so as FMVIII draws to a close). As always, a big thank you and congratulations to our FM Hosts, especially DR who has hosted a very original game.

SIGNUPS:

1. CmG
2. Deathfire123
3. TheWaaagh
4. Borkbot
5. Zane
6. Wolfcheese
7. Kromos
8. Dust
9. Guardian
10. McPwnage
11. Sumikoko
12. Jaczac
13. Fragos
14. Nick

This is a 16 player maximum game, though we have enough as of now. If the last 2 spots are not claimed by Midnight tonight (GMT - that's British time) the game will begin anyway. Do not worry about clashing with regular FM - I'm sure you all have the capability to play a normal game of SC2 Mafia during the weeks of a regular FM ^^

CmG
December 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
först!, count me in

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 11:24 AM
You're a quick devil aren't you? ^^

CmG
December 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Fast as lightning! :D

Deathfire123
December 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Great idea Luna, sign me up

TheWaaagh
December 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I'm down too.

BorkBot
December 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'll join in.

If I get a killing role, I will kill people in the same order as the signups, excluding myself ;)

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I'll join in.

If I get a killing role, I will kill people in the same order as the signups, excluding myself ;)

The WIFOM starts here I see ^^ Red is always Mafia.

CmG
December 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'll join in.

still mad? :D

BorkBot
December 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Nah, I just like to kill Germans first :p

TheJackofSpades
December 6th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Since we have a graveyard full of the dead in our current FM, the action possibly drawing to a close and the next FM at least a few weeks away,
Umm, False is ready to host at the beginning of next week.

Kromos
December 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'd like to do it. I'll be able to play properly now that im not a commoner trying to stay neutral :D

Kromos
December 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Maybe not then, I still think it's a good idea if there is a big gap between FMs

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Fantastic :)

This can still easily go ahead. I doubt the game will even last much more than 8-9 days. M-FM's can run concurrently with regular FMs, they're low-maintenance straightforward games. The amount of time I spend waiting for something to happen in regular FMs can be spent playing this M-FM.

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Do I sign you up Kromos?

The game begins immediately when signups are full, think of this as a casual SC2 Mafia which you can fit around your schedule and forces players into hurry-up mode :D

Might drop this down to 12 players for an even quicker turnaround.

Zane
December 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM
ZANEBOMB ACTIVATED

wolfcheese
December 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Sign me up. I could use all the experience I can get.

Kromos
December 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah sign me up. I wasn't sure if it would still go ahead with the next FM so soon.

Dust
December 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I'm in.

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
There is currently no Cult in either the 12 or 16 player setups. There is the opportunity for 2+ kpn from scum in both setups. Only 1 citizen is active in either setup.

Dust
December 6th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Are you counting on inactive citizens, then?

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Haha no I should have said 'implemented' or 'included'.

I wanted everyone to have power roles, but after playing FM for so long it looks horribly one-sided if Town has so many of them.

Guardian
December 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM
i want in!!!!
-sign
vote Guardian

Guardian
December 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM
i propose you give us all power roles and give the mafia 4 roles?

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I was going to have 4 mafia in the 16 player setup, but currently it's at 10 Town 3 Neutrals 3 Mafia. Might have a Random Any role in there instead of a Neutral xD

McJesus
December 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I'll sign up, it's something to do while I wait for DR's rediclously unbalanced and gay forum mafia to end

Ambient
December 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM
.. Did you have this approved? I don't think trying to recruit the FM user base when Falsetruth's FM will be starting as soon as this one finishes.

Deathfire123
December 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
read the description, its gonna be run concurrent with normal FM

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Well that's why this is small, doesn't include any custom roles or complex rules, has very short days and a high KPN. It won't clutter the forum with extra subforums and anonymous accounts, and gives people a chance to practice a little in a forum mafia environment.

I specifically tried not to step on the toes of the regular FM. I personally can't wait for Falsetruth's game to start, and I'm very much enjoying this current FM :) But for those of us who have the ability to check the forums a lot I think it'll be nice to run a mini game on the side.

The Forum Masters cup wasn't a problem, people can manage to play Mafia games in SC2 easily enough ^^ I'd actually be flattered if Falsetruth signed up to this, so he can relax and play in a casual game whilst he hosts.

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Put it like this, if DR or Falsetruth has a problem with this I can put it on hiatus. I think we're all going to try and get in the new FM though right?

Seeing as we have some more inexperienced players here I hope this M-FM is helpful. Hell, before FMVII I had only played as Town in other Forum Mafias (off-site). I think my newb scumminess was evident :)

Sumikoko
December 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Sumi would love to play. :)

What is this FM that FalseTruth is hosting? Sumi has not heard of this. :o

Luna
December 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Well FT is hosting the next FM, which was decided ages ago. There hasn't been an announcement yet, but Jack says that FT is ready to host immediately (even if I seem to remember him getting annoyed at Deathfire for speaking on behalf of FT? :P).

You haven't missed anything yet. There's just part 1 of 3 discussions about balancing that FalseTruth has decided to put up, I assume he's ready to go and he's not doing signups yet because DR hasn't finished and it would be disrespectful.

A problem I don't feel I face because I don't feel I'm stepping on any toes and detracting from their games, before someone calls hypocrite :D

CmG
December 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM
The Signups for FT's FM are limited anyway. Let's see how many are willing to play over Christmas.

jaczac
December 6th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Jaczac- in

Vote lunvium

TheJackofSpades
December 6th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Well FT is hosting the next FM, which was decided ages ago. There hasn't been an announcement yet, but Jack says that FT is ready to host immediately (even if I seem to remember him getting annoyed at Deathfire for speaking on behalf of FT? :P).

You haven't missed anything yet. There's just part 1 of 3 discussions about balancing that FalseTruth has decided to put up, I assume he's ready to go and he's not doing signups yet because DR hasn't finished and it would be disrespectful.

A problem I don't feel I face because I don't feel I'm stepping on any toes and detracting from their games, before someone calls hypocrite :D
yeah and that's because he was totally fucking wrong. But since False said he was ready to go if FM ended after this week(I'm assuming due to finals), he would be ready to start immediately on skype, I know I'm right.

So step off, bro.

Deathfire123
December 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
yeah and that's because he was totally fucking wrong. But since False said he was ready to go if FM ended after this week(I'm assuming due to finals), he would be ready to start immediately on skype, I know I'm right.

So step off, bro.

Dude its mini for a reason, it can be done at the SAME TIME as a normal FM

So step off, bro.

wolfcheese
December 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Yay we're almost there already! I need this game to help me forget about the other one.

Can you add one more neutral maybe? If we get 16 people that's 12 town as it is. I'd like to get some experience playing along with some non-SC2 roles like Ninja or Student.

Dust
December 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Yay we're almost there already! I need this game to help me forget about the other one.

Can you add one more neutral maybe? If we get 16 people that's 12 town as it is. I'd like to get some experience playing along with some non-SC2 roles like Ninja or Student.
Just because Lunavium (I'm just gonna call you that. get used to it) said that there will be 1 neutral killer doesn't mean that there won't be other neutrals. A game with no benign neutrals can be boring. Let Lunavium decide the number, randomness (if any), type, and flavor of the neutrals. I'll go with whatever.

FalseTruth
December 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah, you can do this, but don't expect to have rights to boards and whatnot. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, fun fun fun!
Also, http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/3760-Dirty-Nazi-Hooker

Fragos
December 7th, 2011, 06:05 AM
It this actually happens, then I'm in.

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 07:18 AM
We start tonight :)

Will be nice to be in a casual game to calm down before the craziness of FMVIII, and will be nice to have a Town again considering the FMVI situation!

CmG
December 7th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Your tonight? Or my tonight? :-P

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Your tonight and my tonight are fairly similar, it's the US I worry about :P

CmG
December 7th, 2011, 07:38 AM
hokai!

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
The game will begin at 0.00 am GMT (midnight tonight for me).

This should give prospective signups a chance to join this evening.

The game will begin at Night, like most SC2 Mafia games. Night actions will be allowed, whether or not it is wise to use them is down to you.

The maximum limit for this game is still 16 players, however I will allow any number up to this (I will have a setup for 13/14/15 as well).

Role list and rules will be included in the Day I thread. That is all for now ^^

Fragos
December 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM
If you want to insert a new role into this mini-FM, can you tell us about that role now?

Or, are you going to use only regular, well-known roles?

wolfcheese
December 7th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Excellent. The topics will all be in this forum, right?

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Only regular roles, this is the perfect medium to experiment with a new mechanic or two but this will just be a chance to play a normal game of mafia with forum people and extra discussion. We're all going to be looking forward to the next FM for cool features I'm sure :)

I will be including some roleplay, but it won't be some crazy theme with new roles.

And yes Wolfcheese, I think this is the most suitable place for the topics xD The Night 1 thread will also function as the Day 1 Thread. I can't lock the thread or anything but I will make it abundantly clear that you may not begin the day chat until I have started the day.

The night will begin in 5-6 hours, or as soon as we get 16 players.

CmG
December 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM
How works night chat ?

Kromos
December 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
It would help people outside europe if you did that personalised date and time thing like rev did in the main FM although I don't know how you would do that.

@ CmG Luna said night chat will be covered in you role PM if you need it

Looking forward to playing but I probably won't on much the next few days because I've got a school trip tomorrow and then it's my birthday on friday :p

CmG
December 7th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Sure i need Night chat. I am gF? Role pm already arrived :-P

Nick
December 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Should be quite free for the next few days. Sign me up! Thanks.

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
The way I see it starting at night should resolve some of these time issues. This game will start fairly late for us Europeans, but early afternoon/evening for Americans. That said, because it starts at night there isn't as much importance for everyone to be online at roughly the same time at the start as you'll have a full 24 hours to get your role and participate in night chat (which works by magic!).

24 hours should be about long enough for a day, there's enough crossover between the time zones and it should add some urgency.

BorkBot
December 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Sure i need Night chat. I am gF? Role pm already arrived :-P

I'm STILL going to kill you first :p

TheJackofSpades
December 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Dude its mini for a reason, it can be done at the SAME TIME as a normal FM

So step off, bro.

See this exactly why I say you have an obsession with arguing with me. You literally quoted my reply to a bolded statement that Lunavium said to something completely unrelated to what you replied with, AND painted me as a bad guy saying Lunavium couldn't host this when all I was doing was informing Lunavium that the next FM was starting a lot sooner than they thought and then rebutting their snappy, completely unprovoked comment at me.

-rep

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 11:33 AM
As a heads up, there is a chance for two non-standard town roles to appear in this game, the Journalist and the Armoursmith.

The role cards for the Journalist and Armoursmith from FMVII can be found here: http://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showthread.php/2796-Role-Cards

If they are in the game, they will work in a similar manner.

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
So I kinda lied when I said there would be no custom roles, these are tried and tested roles which have proven to be popular in previous FM games. I haven't invented any roles.

And as I said, these may or may not be in the game.

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
random.org will begin choosing roles in about 90 minutes

There are currently 2 vacant spots, these 2 roles will be taken out and a 14 player game will commence if they are not filled soon. This is so we can start the game as soon as possible and have minimum impact on either FMVI or FMVIII.

Luna
December 7th, 2011, 03:13 PM
The game has now started, night has begun.

The Role PMs will be going out shortly, please refrain from discussing the game unless it is in the authorized night chat provided.

Have fun everyone :) and may this be a less hostile environment and a chance to flex your mafia muscles in an intense game before FMVIII!

Ubernox
December 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
17 minutes too late FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU